Rush Concert in Ottawa...

TJQ

A few months ago, I had a really good friend that I've known since Grade 5 call me up and ask me if I wanted to go to the Rush Concert at the Corel-scotia-whateveritis center in Ottawa.

He said he had some great seats. He's Jadens godfather and asked us if we wanted to go.

Now.. and I know its unfashionable, but Rush has to not only be my favorite band, but growing up listening to thier music in rural northern ontario, never imagining I would ever get the chance to see them put them firmly in my things I wanna do folder..

Now I've seen them a few times before, in Ottawa and Albany, but this time I got to bring Jaden and our seats were 2nd Row Center..... yup 2nd row center.

Now I've been to alot of concerts and I have never ever had seating this good, and ill tell ya.. its a whole different experience when the band is right there..... Its another when you get to treat your kid (who loves them) to her first concert in grand style!! heres a couple of pictures... man we we ever close... theres a couple of videos up on YuoTube and in the one you can see us... it was fantastic. They played better than ever before and a three hour concert with no opening act gave them plenty of time to play some really good oldies and also keep it fresh with some new stuff (9 new songs). They may be getting old (who isnt) but they are still rockin' and still putting out new stuff... which is more than I can say for most bands that started in the 70's!!

At supper one of the couples we went with asked jaden what here favorite songs were.. she told them Freewill and of course Tom Sawyer, and we were delighted cause both were on the play list...

Heres a couple of pics...

Rush_09_21_07_025.jpg Rush_09_21_07_017.jpg

Rush_09_21_07_027.jpg Rush_09_21_07_023.jpg

Rush_09_21_07_010.jpg Rush_09_21_07_016.jpg

Rush_09_21_07_005.jpg Rush_09_21_07_020.jpg

I know they did TWO shows in Toronto.. anyone else see 'em??

Rush_09_21_07_017.jpg

TJ...Rush is my favourite band as well...although I haven't seen them in concert in years. I saw every tour from Moving Pictures thru to Test for Echo. They are an incredible band live!!!

Glad to see you finally got to see them...it's an experience you cant really explain...you have to be there.

Great pics!! That shot with the fanned out green lasers...was that during Red Sector A?

Why is liking Rush unfashionable? I think they are THEE most talented 3 man band alive. Im not a die hard fan, dont own all their CD's., in fact alot of their songs i just plain cant stand, (roll the bones is a good example lol) but the good ones, ,maaaaaaan the good ones are just Hypnotizing. Not liking someones full portfolio of work doesnt mean they arent talented. I just dont like some of their music. Their arrangements and progressions are complex, drums are insane, and just a different sound than any other band. So even the "bad" songs are talented songs. Anyway, like i said, the good ones are REALLY GOOD!!! Ive seen them live but nowhere near as close as 2nd row. That must have been incredible.

By the way, My favorite song is La Villa Strangiato, the guitar solo gets turned up to 10 every time and i just lose myself in it every time i hear it. Im a strummer like you CCMT , ever try layin down that solo?? I give up on it every few months, but keep goin back to it to try and learn it every so often lol, usually after i listen to the song and think, "Man would i like to be able to play that" lol

My favorite song is La Villa Strangiato, the guitar solo gets turned up to 10 every time and i just lose myself in it every time i hear it. Im a strummer like you CCMT , ever try layin down that solo?? I give up on it every few months, but keep goin back to it to try and learn it every so often lol, usually after i listen to the song and think, "Man would i like to be able to play that" lol

LOL Blaque. I learned the entire Hemispheres album (yes, I still call them albums...LOL). Well, I should be truthful...most solos I never got down. As far as the La Villa solo is concerned, I can play up to the part it goes insane...LOL. Took me a while to work the volume knob and hammer-ons for the beginning of the solo, but I got that part down...once it got super fast, I'm lost. That break in the middle and solo.....man...I close my eyes when I hear that....

Geddy Lee is a big sports nut here in T.O. and I see him at Jays games and Raptors games all the time. His Jays tickets are right behind home plate and I remember a game last year where the jumbo tron pointed him out and these two girls in front of us, maybe 16 years old saw it and the conversation went like this:

Girl: "Who's that"

Me: "Thats Geddy Lee"

Girl: "oh yeah, he's from that old band ummmm"

Her friend: "I think its 'The Rush'".

Sometimes I weep for the future :( I'm so glad to see someone young enjoying Rush, glad you got to go the show and thanks for the great pics TJ

Edited by TbayBoy

LOL Blaque. I learned the entire Hemispheres album (yes, I still call them albums...LOL). Well, I should be truthful...most solos I never got down. As far as the La Villa solo is concerned, I can play up to the part it goes insane...LOL. Took me a while to work the volume knob and hammer-ons for the beginning of the solo, but I got that part down...once it got super fast, I'm lost. That break in the middle and solo.....man...I close my eyes when I hear that....

i hear ya, my ego got bloated when i got the beginning of the solo to sound nice with the volume swells and what not, but as soon as he starts flyin, i shut my effects and amp off and go sulk lol. Like you said, just fire up the air guitar, close your eyes and rip it up lol

Good pics!!!!!! Incredible band!! Geddy has unique vocals!!!

Like you said Rush Fan and being from Northern Ontario goes hand in hand

2 of my faves besides the ones already mentioned

Fly By Night

Closer To The Heart

Edited by wallyboss

Limelight

Subdivisions

YYZ

They all just take you to another place. Add a lazer light show and the atmosphere of a live show, and of course a couple "pops" , (or whatever it is you use to heighten your senses lol) and thats definitely a few hours WELL spent :thumbsup_anim:

One more note CCMT, of the live recordings Ive heard of the La Villa Solo, and seeing it once live, Ive never really heard him hit it as close or with as much feeling as he does in the studio recording.

I was *there*! More than that - I recognize you from the concert.

I was in 108 section - sidestage, directly to Alex's right, about 20 feet away from the stage. I thought we had good tickets.

During the intermission, I was 'crowd watching', and I remember looking to see what kinda people were lucky enough to get front and center seats, and I could swear I saw you guys there.

That was an amazing show. Also, my first Rush concert, despite being something I've wanted to do since I was 13. Hearing those songs live is a completely different experience from listening to their CDs. Wow.

BTW, I thought they played the new stuff really well - in fact, that was probably the strongest part of the show. As much as their older stuff rocks, they looked a lot more comfortable with the new stuff - it was still exciting for them! Plus, Geddy's vocals were awesome on the new stuff - he looked comfortable singing it, not like he was straining to hit notes he hasn't been able to hit easily since sometime in the '80s.

Either way, I can't wait until they come around again. I hope they tour long enough that I can still catch more of their shows!

p.s. L'il Rush was great. And Geddy as a Scotsman... Did you see the guy rocking out right to Alex's right / left of the stage? The guy that looked like Santa Clause? Apparently that was his 108th show...

p.p.s Great pics!

Edited by BrianV

Seen Rush ten times. Just couldn't swallow the ticket price this time around.

Best concert ever was Rush in Buffalo, with Marillion opening (my 2nd fave band at the time).

They've had some great opening acts like Red Rider/Tom Cochrane, FM (surprisingly awesome), and others I can't recall just now.

I met Neil Peart at a Safewater Benefit concert back in the 80's. I bid on and won an autographed albumn (Signals). I still have it!

TJ...Rush is my favourite band as well... Great pics!! That shot with the fanned out green lasers...was that during Red Sector A?

I dunno.. they used them a couple of times

Great pics TJ... I see Geddy is gettin better lookin with time!LOL

HH

Like Geddy... when you are as famous as WE are you can get away with some things... :thumbsup_anim:

By the way T.J. Its VERY refreshing to see a youngster who enjoys real music at that age. So much better for her than the Fergie, Brittany, 50 Cent crap that is engulfing our kids these days and turning them into little thugs and fashion queens.

WE try to keep our kids pretty grounded.. it doesn't hurt that we really enjoy music so from the get go they had to endure our tunes.. which means they have grown on then as well. To be honest other than a few she new... she enjoyed the set of new stuff better than the old classics... which is a good sign for the band I think..

New Rush stuff has always taken a while to grow on me.. lol

Like you said Rush Fan and being from Northern Ontario goes hand in hand

You bet!! For a while there... I don't think we listened to anything else... 'cept maybe April Wine!! LOL

I was *there*! More than that - I recognize you from the concert.

I was in 108 section - sidestage, directly to Alex's right, about 20 feet away from the stage. I thought we had good tickets.

WE were lucky.. one of the guys we went with goes to alot of concerts and is on a few lists for good tickies I guess.. I was happy and to be honest for the experience I didnt think it was too much $$$... In my heyday, I'd spend that at the bar in a heart beat (pre kids... LOL)

Ya I saw Santa.. lol... front and center with ear plugs in!! Did you see the little woman to his right.... she jumped up and down throughout the whole concert.. lol... never stopped once.. and knew EVERY word to EVERY SONG... even all the new stuff!! She was 80lbs and couldn't have been more than 4 feet tall!! AWESOME!!

Wow seen them way back in Montreal when they backed up Aerosmith at the forum. Still remember my Buds standing on top of the back of the seats and six seats tipping with him to the next row as they were attached togeather. The fans just plunked him back on the seats.

OH YEA, Yea YEA. My wife bought us 2 tickets to see OZZY and Rob Zombie in Saskatoon. 5th row. Luv it. 24th October cant wait