Temagami/Algonquin Fishing/Camping trip - Lots of pictures and Tons of GREAT time!!!

icefisherman

Just came back from my annual fishing/camping trip up North. This year it consisted of 6 nights in Temagami (my first trip there) and 11 nights in Algonquin (North and East Arm of Opeongo).

First to thank all those who gave me useful info before the trip.

This “detailed” report is full of high resolution pictures (dial up be aware) and is mostly fishing then camping as I consider myself more fisherman then camper.

So here we go:

Left home at midnight August 16 and arrived in Temagami bright and early in the morning about an hour before Dad’s store opened up. This gave us enough time to walk around the small town, look at the airplane docked in the lake etc.

Got tons of useful info from Jim Krech from Dad’s. What a super nice guy…bought the shoal map and two dept maps from him, some last minute fishing gear and worms and he gave us the deal of the century. Could not believe it. I love those people up North (North of Huntsville).

Launched our wayyyy overloaded boat at the end of the Temagami access road trying to beat the rain. Well it started while trying to find a site. Most were taken by others. Finally found a decent one at Racoon point (the one to the west of the point). Then the rain really came down on us big time. Several times pouring cats and dogs. Everything got wet and took us days to dry it out. With two kids (2 and 3) this was quite a start of out vacation.

Despite the less then perfect weather our mood was in high gear supported by some of those treats ;-)

IMGA2021.jpg

In a ready form:

IMGA2033.jpg

And close ups of the second night dinner:

IMGA2034.jpg

Filet minion in Temagami…..mmmmmmm….

IMGA2037.jpg

During the day while fishing some of us needed a rest:

IMGA2038.jpg

IMGA2039.jpg

While others were quite active and fishing hard ;-)

IMGA2040.jpg

IMGA2043.jpg

198_9814.jpg

198_9812.jpg

198_9811.jpg

Or enjoying driving the boat around:

IMGA2044.jpg

IMGA2045.jpg

IMGA2046.jpg

And answering nature calls as well from time to time ;-)

197_9764.jpg

And the remaining team member in action:

IMGA2048.jpg

With his first ever lake trout:

IMGA2050.jpg

Quite happy too:

IMGA2052.jpg

Here is my new Personal Best Lake trout at 19 Lbs 15 Oz on electronic scale. I gave it to our neighbour – old couple who were quite happy to have it:

196_9676.jpg

Not many things in this world are better then fire baked trout:

IMGA2056.jpg

IMGA2060.jpg

IMGA2062.jpg

Play time:

IMGA2063.jpg

For every one…

IMGA2064.jpg

IMGA2065.jpg

And some fried trout too:

IMGA2066.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Part 2:

We did have good time in Temagami but got good amount of rain too…it rained the last night and we were all wet moving to Algonquin…got settled on Opeongo at my favourite site with large private bay and beach and all amenities and then we got more rain that night….then the night after…and the day and night after as well….but fishing was great in between:

Some Opeongo bass:

IMGA2069.jpg

Pretty good ones too. Here is a huge 6.5 Lbs one I got while trolling for lakers:

IMGA2078.jpg

And speaking of lakers…what a fishing it was….10-20 fish caught daily….couple per day kept, the rest released with the exception of the last day when we kept few more fillets for the way home:

Here are few action pictures:

IMGA2071.jpg

IMGA2072.jpg

With my boat captain:

IMGA2074.jpg

All smiles:

IMGA2075.jpg

Even during the rain:

IMGA2076.jpg

IMGA2077.jpg

Another big bass:

IMGA2079.jpg

And more trout action:

IMGA2080.jpg

IMGA2082.jpg

IMGA2083.jpg

198_9818.jpg

What a day a smile like that makes …..

IMGA2086.jpg

And when it didn’t rain…it was beach play time for all:

IMGA2091.jpg

IMGA2095.jpg

Our site with the view of the private bay/beach:

IMGA2097.jpg

Few evening bass waiting cleaning:

IMGA2098.jpg

And here is an interesting trout:

IMGA2100.jpg

It was marked by MNR and we took the tag to the guy at the MNR station and am waiting on him to send me this fish history:

IMGA2101.jpg

IMGA2103.jpg

Strange thing was it had much whiter meat then the rest of the trout we caught:

IMGA2104.jpg

Last four days wives came to join us and the weather became great ;-) No surprise here ha ha ha

IMGA2109.jpg

Last catch:

IMGA2138.jpg

IMGA2130.jpg

It was rough and windy the last morning:

IMGA2139.jpg

Opeongo – what a beauty…we’ll come again next year:

IMGA2142.jpg

And well-deserved breakfast before heading back home:

IMGA2113.jpg

Few words in conclusion – fishing was GREAT AGAIN like last year….got some personal best….19 Lbs 15 Oz laker at Temagami and 6 Lbs small mouth at Opeongo.

We got more rain then last year but hey…it’s part of the game …and we did get some great weather last 5-6 days.

My usual lures performed great on Opeongo – small #3 and #4 Meps and Blue Fox in Chartuse. Lakers were shallow just like last year. The ones that were biting anyways. There were plenty of fish deep but they were not interested in our presentation at all. All the active fish were between 20 and 30 feet down in 45-75 fow despite what most Algonquin “experts” will tell you about summer fishing there.

Temagami…….what a strange lake for fishing,….never hit the bottom so often in my life with the cannon balls….the bottom was all over the vertical….even with all the maps it was a challenge to stay on course…20 feet from shore it was 80 feet deep…….we were trolling at time is 110 fow only for find out 30 seconds later it was 30 fow and the balls were dragging the bottom…and it was rocks, rocks,….and more and ONLY rocks there…never seen so many rocks before ;-)….but fishing was great….nice bass in the evening and huge lakers during the day…here they were all deep…80 feet down in 100 fow was the magic. And larger spoons mostly silver/blue combination….even some smaller Williams in blue/silver got us fish.

So, now that this trip is over we are all relaxed let’s make some money and do some local fishing…here I come Lake O. and Lake Erie….while waiting the ice on Simcoe;-)

Hope you’ve enjoyed the read as we’ve enjoyed the time and feel free to ask/PM me any specific questions you want to ask.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Wow...what a fantastic report! Loved all the pictures...It's only 930am, but those steaks made my hungry all of the sudden! It's great to be able to spend all that time on the water with your kids...and actually catch fish too! LOL. The "nature calls" pic is a classic. haha. The kids had a great time...these kinds of trips are the ones they'll remember for the rest of their lives...great on you to involve them in your adventures!