Labour Day weekend Brook Trout

danc

I usually like to stay away from the Nipigon area on the Labour Day weekend. That's when that annual Nipigon Fall Fishing Festival is. In other words, there's a big derby that weekend. And I don't like crowds when I go fishing. But I'm quickly running out of weekends. In fact, there's only one more after this one before the Brook Trout season ends. I should mention that no Brook Trout can be entered in the derby. It's a conservation issue that I applaud. So, I didn't expect many people at my Brook Trout honey holes. Besides that, my buddy Ron Reyns was going to be there. So that was enough to convince Sis and I to pack up and head out for a couple of days. We arrived at our destination Friday night. A couple of hours of daylight was enough to test the waters. I was optimistic that the water temps would be prime, and that the big fish that will eventually spawn where I was fishing, would be there. In the hour or so that we were on the water, Sis had lost a fish or two and I landed one. This is an average size fish for this time of year. 20 inches or so.

Laborday1.jpg

The next morning we ran into these guys. Ron and his buddy Keith had driven 13 hours on Thursday night just to fish for a few days up here. By the time that Sis and I got out on the water, Ron and Keith had boated 6 fish already. Not to mention that they caught 8 on Friday in a different area.

Laborday9.jpg

Sis and I decided to head to a few spots further north. It was a risky decision as a strong south wind was developing. As it turned out, we could barely fish where we went. It was just too rough and impossible to control the boat in the 3 to 6 foot waters where the Brook Trout like to hang out.

Laborday7.jpg

So we headed back to where Ron was fishing and he reported that he had caught about 12 fish now. The problem now was that the wind left only one small area to fish. And the four or five boats that were fishing for Brookies were crowded into this area. Not my cup of tea. So Sis and I went in to relax. Soon after Ron and Keith joined us. We had a great time just shooting the breeze. You guys that know Ron can relate. He's a fantastic guy and an awesome fisherman.

Laborday8.jpg

A while later I joined Ron and Keith in Rons boat. I was happy to be sharing a boat with him for a few hours. So off we went.

Laborday6.jpg

The fishing had cooled off as we cast jigs along the shorelines that had produced for them earlier. We hadn't turned a fish in the first hour or so. Finally I had a hit and after a drag screaming run, I caught this nice colorful male.

Laborday3-1.jpg

This fish is a good example of why I adore these fish so much. Just look at the colors. Here's the release shot.

Laborday4.jpg

This morning Sis and I went out for an hour or so, but those same shorelines that were basically the only fishable waters, were crowded. Too crowded for me anyways. So we packed up and headed home. Ron had caught a fish or two but had had enough also and was packing up and heading to the place that he had fished on Friday.

Overall, not a bad weekend. We caught a few decent fish. I'll try to get out at least one more time before the season closes on the 15th.

And here's just a couple of random shots from the weekend. How often do you get the chance to photograph a Bald Eagle with the moon behind it? Not very often. This shot is a little blown out, but I thought it was cool.

Laborday10.jpg

This is Lund country. I liked this shot too.

Laborday5.jpg

Finally, if you like Brook Trout photos, look for Rons report later this week. He's got tons of nice Brook Trout shots. Have a great weekend all. I've got a race to watch right now. Life is good!!