Nf - Bear Vs. Electrical Wires - Pics

dustink

I received this e-mail with these pictures. I hadn't seen this before....but here's the story

I really feel sorry for the bear. Here are the pictures (I was a little disturbed by them....just as a warning):

Bear1.jpg

Bear2.jpg

Bear3.jpg

Bear4.jpg

Dustin we have had two separate incidents in last last six months of people trying to steal what they thought was copper wiring from public utility poles only to be electocuted. One died and the other is in a vegitated state. Bears don't know any better but people should. The one guy not only was trying to steal the wiring from a live grid he was doing it in a thunder/rain storm go figure.

Whopper

Below is an example of some idiot sticking his arm where he shouldn't have.

Lakair_035__Medium_.jpg

Edited by Whopper

I wonder what gave him the idea to chomp down on that wire? did that bucket contain the wire?

That bucket is a fiberglass pedestal used to enclose wiring splices, in my area they are normally installed under ground with the cover being flush with grade, at least for high voltage applications.

Gee Phil...I wonder who the "idiot" was and how come the camera appears to be in HIS other hand. Glad it healed up well and didn't keep the said "idiot" off the water very long! I assume he was a fisherman anyhow... :P

Poor bear...

Edited by irishfield

Gee Phil...I wonder who the "idot" was and how come the camera appears to be in HIS other hand. Glad it healed up well and didn't keep the said "idot" off the water very long! I assume he was a fisherman anyhow... :P

Poor bear...

Wayne you are to observant for my own good :glare:

Rumor has it that said idiot didn't miss a day of work and went on a week long catching trip two weeks after stupid move. :dunno::D

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol:

Whopper

Wayne you are to observant for my own good :glare:

Rumor has it that said idiot didn't miss a day of work and went on a week long catching trip two weeks after stupid move. :dunno::D

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol:

Whopper

LOL...c'mon Phil, tell the story! I'm sure you didn't do it trying to steal some copper......did you?? :unsure::D

LOL...c'mon Phil, tell the story! I'm sure you didn't do it trying to steal some copper......did you?? :unsure::D

No Dustin I did not try to steal some copper <_<

I will tell you the story when we hook up though, but the jest of it I was helping my crew on a holiday shut down and thought that I would be a hero and work on something hot so they could get home earlier and it backfired on me :dunno::w00t:

dwc67 By the looks of it the bear was stopped dead in it's tracks and my guess in was 5KV, looks almost like a street lighting circuit.

Whopper

Maybe the bear responded to the humming sound the device gave off... perhaps at a frequency we humans can't hear... and opened the box looking for the same stuff he got before from a beehive.

I've seen woodpeckers hammer on transformers atop hydro poles for what appears to be the same reason.

I've seen woodpeckers hammer on transformers atop hydro poles for what appears to be the same reason.

Just for trivia, the louder the noise woodpeckers make like rapping on rain gutters, metal chimnies, metal stand-offs on hydro poles, the "larger" their marked territory is.