caught a skunk now what !!!!!!!! (NF)

ufish2

One day at work I came across a skunk in a live release trap at an abandoned house. I just slowly walked towards the animal, carefully opened the cage and he happily wandered off into the sunset.

I always find it interesting that some people feel the need to kill every critter that crosses their path.

How can I take a chance? the concequences are drastic!!!! What would i do if it did spray me?? what is the remedy, does tomato juice really do the trick?

My boyfriend does this once or twice a month, and has done for the past several years, he's yet to be sprayed. He did say that a white sheet seems to be the best. As far as tomato juice goes, thanks to my dogs and cats I'd say no, I keep a bottle of "skunk off" around just in case....use it minimum once a year.

I saw a guy use dynamite to get rid of a skunk and I'm sure it didn't feel a thing.

If you put your garden hose on a fan spray and point it at the skunk you can walk right up to it and the water will knock down the spray.

He- HE- HE Now are you ready for the dynamite.

Take it for a walk to the end of a dock, if it looks scared of the water it has rabies, throw him in.

OK, FOR THE LAST TIME, write this on a piece of paper and stick it to your frig! This means EVERYONE on OFC!!

Homemade Skunk Off smell cleaner: (for skunks, dog and cat pee smell, anything organic) I wonder if it works on fish smell?? anyway, back to the recipe.

1/4 cup baking soda

1 Tbsp. liquid dish soap

1 whole BIG bottle peroxide

THAT'S IT! mix and smear on smelly person, animal, sprayed cage, etc. Rinse, dry, forget about it.

I had my lab sprayed twice in one hour, washed him outside in the snow, stuck him to dry in front of the wood stove and he was asleep in my camper bunk within one hour!

It works better than any commercial recipe. Just remember to keep a few bottles of peroxide in your house or cottage at all times. Beats walking into an allnight pharmacy smelling like skunk. :blink:

Pam

My vote....

Be rational.

Just Stay in front of him, be calm (no sudden movements or noises) & slowly open the cage....they aint so fast that you can't get out of the way before he turns a full 180 degrees on you and gets his tail up, aimed and starts a spray'n.

If you want to take a chance at stinking your truck up I s'pose you could take him outta town but, chances are he is not comming back after this ordeal anyway so I'd recomend just cutting him loose.

But if your not comfortable doing it....just call the SPCA

I had a skunk jump out in front of my on the trail to a bass pond last month, scared the crap out of the thing iguess and he turned and sprayed, luckily as soon as i saw the white stripe i RAN FASTER THAN I HAVE EVER RUN BEFORE and got out of the range of spray i geuss?

Whole cottage stank, but he didnt get me!

My father used to trap them because the neighbourhood was over run with them. At one time the SPCA would take them and do whatever with them. Then they started to charge and I believe later they wouldn't take them.

So with that he started to dispose of them himself. He would carefully take the trapped skunk in the trunk of his car to a different location where he could open the trap door and let the skunk roll down a hill. This way if the skunk got ticked off it would spray the hillside and not him, or me the spectator.

If your trap is low enough the skunk can't lift it's tail. If it can't lift it's tail it can't spray. So you should be safe :angel:

Good luck and look at this as a new "fun" challenge.

Some days this site is better than TV. Unless you want to take a course of rabies shots I would not advise going with the picking it up by the tail theory as mentioned above. My Grandfather who had a trap line swore that without their hind legs on the ground they can't spray but then he did say they can still whip around and infect you with one hell of a nasty bite.....

Pam's recipe is the ticket if ingredients are on hand, if not Coca-Cola does help in a pinch...at least it did on my Golden Retriever late one Sunday night. :wacko: (was recommended by a vet for emergency situations, then followed up with that recipe next night)

Hey everyone!! Well didn't get a chance to post last week or the weekend but Mr. Skunk is now a free critter thanks to everyone here. :thumbsup_anim: I used the tarp trick and didn't chance transporting him, just managed to open the door and slowly walk away. After about 2 minutes he slowly walked out of the cage and was on his way. Everything worked out okay, no harm done. Sorry no pics guys.

Thanks to all for your help, This is a great site with great people!!!!!

P.S. I will definetely keep the formula for skunk smell removal, because I have a very curious young LAB!!

P.S. I will definetely keep the formula for skunk smell removal, because I have a very curious young LAB!!

Ahhhhh...so what you are really telling us is that we will have to wait till the next time to find out if the skunk recipie works? :jerry::lol:

Really though, I'm happy to hear that the story had a happy ending.

Hey everybody, we have a trap set up in our garden and been catching rabbits that are eating everything in sight. We usually just bring them about 4 miles away and release them in an open field area. But a SKUNK!!! how am I going to get him to the area to release him. Does anyone have experience with skunks? What are my options here? I don't want to hurt the skunk.

Please anybody have any suggestions?

I'm thinking I'd offer the most obnoxious kid in the neighbourhood five bucks to release it.

JohnF