Adventures in Temagami

Dano

Well, after a hectic day and a couple hours of sleep, we finally left for Temagami at 2:30 am on the 28th for a week of houseboating, visiting friends and fishing on a Leisure Island houseboat (LIH). After getting the low down from Peter from LIH, a really nice fellow, we started out on our adventure. Five minutes later we docked at this guys place, he was kind enough to let us hang around a bit and even drive me back to the landing to get a tackle box I had forgot, he also lent me his fishing maps for the lake. Thanks Irishfield!gallery_42_223_79939.jpg

Soon, Fern and I were underway. The first night we camped (read- tied up on) an island between Loon Lodge and Wabikon and caught a few smallmouth bass. This spot turned out to be a pretty busy channel, so we pulled up anchor the next day and headed out into the great unknowm....to us anyway.

Soon we found ourselves in South Arm where we flat lined off the boat for lakers while deciding where we actually were.

gallery_42_223_80928.jpg

We didnt catch any fish, but we found a lovely spot to call home.gallery_42_223_12979.jpg

gallery_42_223_21653.jpg

We were soon fishing again, when Fern pulled this out of the water, but it was so ugly, she threw it back!!

gallery_42_223_33924.jpg

We were catching a few smallies here, nothing to write home about, so we headed out to do some downrigging for the lakers that Temagami is famous for. I am happy to report that my boats laker cherry got broken (by Fern) with a nice little laker taken on a Williams Wobbler 1/2 and 1/2 in only about 30' of water, trolling at about 2.5 kmh. Here is the lovely lady with her catch.

gallery_42_223_50461.jpg

So of course, we had surf and turf that evening.

gallery_42_223_109813.jpg

Unfortunately, we could only eat so much that night, so we had the rest of the fish "tuna salad" style for lunch the next day, it was pretty good then too! I made it, Fern stuffed them!

gallery_42_223_96456.jpg

Found a stow away on board one day, but he soon went to shore.

gallery_42_223_58759.jpg

Just a little note here, they (Leisure Island Houseboats) run a really nice show, the boats are clean, well set up and comfortable.

Stopped by Wayne and Leahs after dropping the houseboat off and saw what really goes on when there arent any prying eyes around, here is Wayne doing what Leah called "hard time".

gallery_42_223_68808.jpg

This shot was taken after she told him he could sleep in the cottage that night instead of the cold hard ground he was accustomed to.... (it was their anniversary after all)

gallery_42_223_128236.jpg

Here is a picture of the two bosses.

gallery_42_223_115507.jpg

Happy 25th, Wayne and Leah!

gallery_42_223_52459.jpg

Temagami is a beautiful lake, the water is very clean, the people seem to be nice (the ones we met anyway) and I would recommend this trip to anyone. I had so much fun doing other stuff, fishing kinda took a backseat, and that was just fine for a change.

Edited by Dano

Great report and pic's Dano...

We took a few days holiday with LIH too, a few years back... It was a great holiday and the boats were well cared for as you mentioned... I'd love to do a trip like that again... lol

Thanks for sharing...

Happy 25th to Leah and Wayne too....

Looks like fun Dano.

Glad to hear all went well.

Sweet laker. I would have thought they would be tough to catch

this time of year and much deeper than 30 feet.

Wayne / Leah have a nice summer home up there.

I've fished many different lakes in Ontario, but have yet to

experience Temagami. Looking forward to my first visit.

Thanks for the report and pics.

• 5 weeks later...