Advice on new fishing boat.

nautifish

Good morning everyone,Hope all had a fantabulous weekend. ;)

I am looking to buying either a brand new or used fishing boat but must be ready for the water needs no work and fully kitted for fishing :D mostly lake erie.

So i was wondering what all of you thought was the best out on the market right now? I do not know too much about boats but am looking for something that will handle a bit of chop and seat 4 - 6 people & specifically for fishing.

Thanx so much.

Nauti. ;)

4-6 people fishing on a boat on Lake Erie, you'll need something big, 18+feet, also, take into consideration what you have for a tow vehicle (ie. a Honda Civic won't be towing that). You'll need at least a 115 on the back because on the big lakes, the water can get rough quick when a storm blows in, you gotta get back to the dock asap. And the biggest question mark is how much do you want to spend????

Blimey!! :P

I am looking to spend between $6000 - $10,000 more if its the boat i really want, New or used as long as its ready for the water and as i previously said kitted up for fishing. I know how lake erie gets i live right next to it and fish it often. Which is why i am looking for a bigger boat for fishing.

Gerrit let me know if u got my pm i have no luck with pms on this site.....Grrr!!! :wallbash:

I got it gerrit and thankyou.

Luckily watertight i live in a port town on lake erie there are allways good deals to be had but i am looking for oppinions as too whats a good boat. I am steering towards the trophy bayliner which i know is more money and as i said previously will pay more if its what i am looking for.

BCEE thankyou for the link.

Nauti.

Nauti, you should definitely not discount looking across the pond. boattraderonline.com is the site I used to find my last three bass boats, all purchased in the US and all when our dollar was significantly less powerful than it is now. Your money will go further than it has in a long time against the greenback and it will be worth the hassle I bet because you will get a lot more boat for your dollars. Lots of posts on OFC about how to deal with the border crossing too.

Good luck in your search, they say the best two days are when you buy the boat and the day you sell it.

Charles

Hi Nauti

Defintely keep an eye on the boat trader sites.

I Fish Ontario and Erie in a 17'5 Crestliner and get wet and bounced around a lot. Even an 18ft aluminum like Lund, Princecrafts and Crestliners will be tight for 4 people and a full day fishing. 3 guys in my boat is enough.

If I spent 100% of time trolling I'd have gone fiberglass and more of a cuddy cabin

I was looking on line the other day and came across this one

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mk...;ADS=6275570%7C

Something like this would interest me if I was looking for a walleye/salmon trout boat for erie

just type in 18 ft to 20 ft in the search on the baot trader and see what comes up.

I would not go on Erie in a Bayliner. Just my opinion, but I think they are terrible boats.

In the classifeid section here, Shaun R posted a few boats for sale that look ready for Erie.

You live on the shore, so you know how ugly it can get and how fast. What do you want to be in the day you get caught out there? You will get caught..it happens to everyone eventually.

The IPS 2 hulls on Lunds are designed to take a pounding in the waves...but Lund boats are not cheap.

Here is a quick reference for questions you should have the answers to when searching for a boat to purchase...

It assumes you are going with an Aluminum hull though http://www.lundboats.com/boatbuyingguide.html

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Personally after an incident I had on Lake Ontario many years ago that put the fear of god into me I would not venture out on any of the great lakes in anything less than yacht.

How about a nice 40 foot tugboat there should be a few of those kicking around Port Dover might be kinda tough to tow however.

Good luck on your search for the perfect boat.

There is a Trophy that is at least 20' with a small cabin and twin 120 hp Mercs on it located in Burlington on Queensway Dr. between Guelph Line and Brant St. at a small motel next to the Best Western.

It sat covered with tarps for what seems like an eternity, presently it is uncovered but it never moves from it's parking spot. From the appearance, as I'm driving past, I would say the motel owner is the one that has it. There isn't a for sale sign on it but I bet it could be bought if he was approached. Might be an OK boat :dunno: This sounds like it fits your description of the ideal boat.

Just let me know if you want me to check it out for you.