Kawartha Carp . . . . .

Photoz

I've been keenly watchin' for ANY more reports on this situation. It's well past the 4 - 5 weeks it was gonna take the Ministry to report back on test results . . . . . to date . . . . noodnik?? Any more dead ones turning up? Anyone fishin' 'em? Anyone catchin' 'em in their usual spots? Even though it's ONLY CARP, they bring in B I I I G tourist bucks from Britain & Europe . . . . . it's strange that there's been NO 'official' news release at all? Is it a carp only disease? How will several thousand big, dead, rotting carp affect the drinking water? Swimming? Any news I've missed, checking local papers through 'GOOGLE,' I'd appreciate an update on.

I MIGHT be in good enough shape to hit Hammie Harbour to test the water for carp Wednesday . . . . . for shore fishing down there, in the EARLY morning (before daylight) what would be considered a good bait to nail a few sheepshead? Should a worm on a Mepps or Panther Martin work? Worm hung under a float? Glow-in-the-dark Cleo? I often see them feeding along the shore as I wait for Mr. Carp in the early morning, but this time I'll take a couple spare rods, so I don't have to change the riggin' on my carp rod! I've caught a few at the mouth of the Credit on Cleos, but this was draggin' 'em through deeper water?

From a few boaters I've talked to the last couple of weeks, it's already made its way into Buckhorn and Chemong (Can't personally confirm this)

I fished in the Peterborough area and the river north of it on Saturday and got into 4 fish. July is usually my worst month up there and fish just weren't in the mood for feeding much...On the bright side, I caught up on my lost sleep.

The biggest from Saturday

DSC_1822c.jpg

Lots of dead carp still on Upper Buckhorn (and on Chemong according to my buddy). I hauled a few to the dump on Saturday. Out fishing yesterday, we saw a couple swimming that looked very sick, eyes hazed over, white blotches on the back, swimming very sluggishly, etc.

For every 100 yards of shoreline...expect to see at least 5 or 6 floaters and lots just randomly floating in the wind. Most of the fish are big, I've only seen a couple that would be under 10 lbs.

Edited by Jer

I'm also eagerly waiting an update on the Kawartha Carp situation...

BTW..."I've caught a few at the mouth of the Credit on Cleos, but this was draggin' 'em through deeper water? "

Ditto in the bay.

Tony

Weird that only carp are dying, they are a tough fish and handle water quality that other species won`t, just me but I would think other species would have to be affected too. Huge die offs of shad here sometimes, it makes fishing tough, you wind up snagging dead rotten shad on your lures. They lay all over the shore and make the area smell. Shad are temperature sensitive and carp don`t seem to be though.

Steve I got sheephead regularly on tubes, jigs, and crankbaits that run deep. They seem to eat anything a smallie would. No surface lures, never had one take one. A small hair jig and a piece of Uncle Josh rind works. Another fish that isn`t much to look at but some fun to catch if they are big enough. LOL Great Lakes Grouper!

Lots of dead carp still on Upper Buckhorn (and on Chemong according to my buddy). I hauled a few to the dump on Saturday. Out fishing yesterday, we saw a couple swimming that looked very sick, eyes hazed over, white blotches on the back, swimming very sluggishly, etc.

For every 100 yards of shoreline...expect to see at least 5 or 6 floaters and lots just randomly floating in the wind. Most of the fish are big, I've only seen a couple that would be under 10 lbs.

I can confirm what Jer posted, I was at Bridgenorth at Chemong last weekend. I didn't catch anything that day though.

I heard on 105.1 FM P'boro radio station that Lakefield Ont was having a special garbage pick-up last weekend for double bagged carp...so I guess it will hit P'boro next...

Hoping to try Carp point up this way (Bobcaygeon) sometime this week to see if they are back...

Hey Steve, you gotta work yourself back into shape pretty quickly for the salmon in four weeks or so. I was in Peterborough on Saturday and did run into your buddy Ron. Action was pretty slow. I didn't see any Brits upriver either. In fact there were hardly anyone fishing or picnicing at the usual spots. The decline is well underway.

Haven't seen a Carp...Alive or Dead...on Sturgeon Lake at Carp Point for a month. The die off seems to have stopped there. Just waiting for the survivors to move in and start feeding again.

Been tossing corn at my swim every time I go up to Caygeon and fishing at least one day on the weekends...like I said nothing doing.

I start 2 weeks vacation up there this Friday. I hope things pick up or I will be forced to throw the boat in somewhere and chase something else.

:wallbash: Since a Government Ministry is involved with this carp death fisasco (MNR) isin't it only natural that it would be so well botched up. If this had been Muski, Walleye or large and small mouth bass dying by the thousands they would be falling all over themselves to find the problem. What they dont probably know is just how lucrative Catch and Release Carp angling tourism is to Ontario, starting at Long Sault at the St. Lawerence on to Hamilton on Lake Ontario and up into the Kawartha's millions are spent yearly by Brits and Europeans flocking these areas to fish the wild carp in Ontario. It is a shame that this has gone on this long without any leadership from the MNR or the Ontario Government. All J.J. Beechie information officer for the MNR can do is keep moving the date we are supposed to find out what is killing the carp. Have not heard of any carp dying in the Lakefield area as of yet, if that happens then it will probably pass the five or six dams along river road (a winding road between Lakefield and Peterborough) and enter Little Lake were i carp fish. If this happens Mr J.J Beechie can expect a parcel from me in a garbage bag, and it wont be his lunch. Deliver to 300 Water Street, Peterborough and let him dispose of the dead carp after all dont the fish belong to the MNR. Just joined the fourm and this is my first post and you will find that i am very pasionate about fishing in general but as of late Carp angling has taken over. Want my nickels worth i think the MNR know's what is killing the carp and it will be covered up, we will never know the true reason the carp are dying or who caused it, and there are a bunch of theories on that one. Like i say just my knickels worth.

Tightlines Blokes

Rodpody....

Edited by Rodpody

Welcome to the board Ron...

I believe you are right...they should know by now but are not saying...and that is just not right... :wallbash:

People depend on the water for drinking (after filtration and purification) and other household uses...besides swimming and boating and fishing...

As you know there are quite a few of us on this board that enjoy a good tussle with carp and then release them...

Many years ago I stopped eating any fish out of Lake Ontario and I am beginning to feel the same about all fish out of the Kawarthas Lakes until they give them a clean bill of health...

These is an article in this months Ontario Out of Doors. According to the article, the University of Guelph has found Columnaris disease in the carp that it has tested. This disease is a common problem in catfish ponds. It appearently can attack trout and salmon too.

Definatly out of scugog, not sure if any live ones are left, but I was out on Saturday and didn't see a single dead one, talked to my friend that was out on chemong and he said he saw hundreds of dead ones.

Looks like its just going to run its course. Has anyone caught any carp in the last week or so on scugog? Did they all die off?