Weekend @ Lake Dalrymple

Victor

Spent the weekend up at a cottage on lake Dalrymple with some family friends. It was my first time going to a cottage but the cold front made fishing pretty tough. Learned a lesson ... i also hear about it from other people's report but i never thought these things would happen to me ...

1) dropped my favourite bob-izumi/sedona combo and donated it to the weeds

2) getting hurt while handling a pike (i thought if you be very careful it would be alright ... i guess not)

anyways ... we got there friday evening and started fishing right away ...

not too long after we started my dad got this bass

IMG_3651.jpg

that was the only action we got and the boat needed to be returned at 8:30 so we fished at the dock. it got really cold and windy ... we were about to pack it in and my uncle nailed this nice crappie

IMG_3652.jpg

it was so cold that the crappie decided to come out ... ended up getting 5 in total for some dinner

IMG_3653.jpg

we went out early saturday morning and nailed a few pike ...

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

here's the last decent fish i caught during the trip right before i dropped my combo :(

IMG_3659.jpg

i was casting my inline spinner and i think my line somehow got tangled/the bail closed during a cast and the rod flew right out of my hands ... saw it slowly sink into the water and into the heavy weeds ... the boat was drifting with the wind and i knew it was over ...

my aunt got a decent 2lb largemouth on Sunday and that was it ...

IMG_3662.jpg

i just can't seem to catch fish without my favourite combo ... also saw this thing swimming around

IMG_3665.jpg

overall it was an alright weekend ... just that the "accident" ruined it for me ... thanks to fishnfiend, dsn and a few others for helping me with tips and advices ... too bad i couldn't connect with the bigger fish ... i blame the weather lol.

hope you all had a great weekend ... you probably won't be hearing from me for quite some time ... final exams are coming up and i won't be fishing much till at least mid august ...

Nice Report Vic too bad about the lost outfit.

On the bright side, you now have the perfect opportunity to buy a new combo :D

I recommend a Shimano Stella or a Daiwa Steez matched with a custom 7' Lamiglas XMG50 or a Loomis GLX.

Too bad your weekend didn't turn out better. Nice to see that you got into a few crappie. I went shing last night from 9-10:30 and the crappie were the only things biting. I believe the weather didn't help.

Where did you lose your rod?

personally i would have gone for a swim as well but with all those weeds and the weather there's no way my dad/uncles would let me get into the water ...

i lost the combo at the northeast corner of the lower lake dalrymple ... right behind where the island was ... it does have some sedimental value to me ... i might get the same rod and maybe pair it up with a symmetre or stradic when i do go buy myself a new combo

i'm not sure what that animal was either ... was hoping someone would point it out

Edited by Victor

Nice report.

Too bad about losing your rod. My cousin lost his $200 G-Loomis & $100 Shimano reel while fishing with me once. We were drifting with crawler harnesses & he set his rod down & when he turned around it went over board.

I once caught a rod & reel that had a live worm still on the hook. There was a guy & his wife/GF drifting in front of us & it must have been their rod. Once I pulled it in I looked to see where they were but they had already taken off.

Victor...sorry to hear about your rod and reel!!! I've yet to do that, but it's only a matter of time. Think of it this way...it's an offering to the fishing gods...you'll have a great outing next time!

Nice report and pics Victor...glad to see you were still able to catch a few...cold fronts are hit and miss that's for sure!

Victor, If I catch your rod, I'll let you know.

That animal is a whitetail fawn. Did you see that in the same area that you lost your rod? If so, then it's mom and twin were somewhere close by. My cottage is close to there and I have seen them a few times.

hey Victor, I was also up there saturday fishing. I think I might have saw you fishing. The bite was tough with the cold front and the rain and wind made it very unconfertable. You guys caught some nice fish considering the conditions. We only managed 1 pike around 32 inches and two small bass. It was a bit of a disapointing outing since we usually do quite well in dalyrmpal. Sorry about your rod and reel.

sorry to hear about that victor.

if i were you, i'd just jump right after it right away before it woul deven hit the water..lol..

oh well.. now you have an excuse to get a new rod/reel! check ebay for a reel first, but rods aren't really worth looking at on ebay since it costs too much to ship.

Hey Victor, sorry to hear about losing your combo, makes me think I should find a way to attach mine to me somehow so i don't lose it. Glad you had a good time and your whole family got into some nice fish...can't beat that.

Good luck on your exams...

Maureen

Victor,

Pretty sure my son and I fished right next to you on Sunday! Was your group in two blue rented boats?? That deer passed right by us as well!!! (by the rocks and weeds in the NW corner of lake)

My 10 yr old and I caught roughly 18 bass that day and 1 pike! The wind was tough and the weather was strange. Hot when the sun was out and darn cold when it wasn't!

It was interesting to see photo of your "aunt". My boy and I thought was a child from the distance!!

Tight Lines!

JJJiggin