Do fish feel pain

I follow the Fish Ecology and Conservation Ecology Lab from Carleton University on FB and they just posted a link to this research article that they agree with. Some nutbar countries including Britain have passed legislation recognizing fish and even invertebrates as sentient beings that require protection under animal welfare regulations if you can believe that nonsense. Here's a link to the complete article.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23308249.2023.2257802

Here's a link to the Cooke Lab. http://www.fecpl.ca/

Edited by smitty55
Added link

I read a scientific report that showed a microscopic electrical pulse when vegetables are snapped in two , so it could be concluded that they experienced pain of some sort 

so with the woke world getting worse each day

the day will come when the only three things humans will be allowed to eat are eggs ,honey and milk, as they are the only things people eat that doesn’t  need the product to die to be consumed 

In Germany and Switzerland "catch & release" fishing has been banned for some time now. You can still catch a fish and eat it, but C & R is considered "torturing an animal for your own personal amusement". Obviously Bass Tournaments aren't a thing there...

"In Switzerland and Germany, catch and release fishing is considered inhumane and is now banned.[5] In Germany, the Animal Welfare Act states that "no-one may cause an animal pain, suffering or harm without good reason".[6] This leaves no legal basis for catch and release due to its argued inherent lack of "good reason", and thus personal fishing is solely allowed for immediate food consumption. Additionally, it is against the law to release fish back into the water if they are above minimum size requirements and aren't a protected species or in closed season."

I’ve always assumed fish felt pain. Why wouldn’t they? I’m not saying it would stop me from fishing. I kinda figured anybody saying otherwise was kidding themselves. 

I imagine being able to experience pain contributes pretty significantly to a species odds of survival.

Edited by Weeds
Thinkings…and spellings
  • Like 1

That first link is a hell of a read. Couldn’t possibly bring myself to read more than a little bit of it. I didn’t see anything too applicable on the second link.

56 minutes ago, Weeds said:

This discussion takes me back to the musings of my first year Philosophy & Ethics prof..

I think every living creature "experiences pain"...defined as some kind of physical reaction to a force or condition that does harm to the organism. It's a survival mechanism.

But that's different than "feeling pain". As Descartes stated some 400 years ago..."Cogito, Ergo Sum"...I think, therefore I am. Only humans are sentient beings that can "suffer from pain"...and although I often think otherwise, it also excludes my beloved dog.

22 hours ago, smitty55 said:

I follow the Fish Ecology and Conservation Ecology Lab from Carleton University on FB and they just posted a link to this research article that they agree with. Some nutbar countries including Britain have passed legislation recognizing fish and even invertebrates as sentient beings that require protection under animal welfare regulations if you can believe that nonsense. Here's a link to the complete article.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23308249.2023.2257802

Here's a link to the Cooke Lab. http://www.fecpl.ca/

Looks like fake news to me. Fish are by nature carnivores and cannibalistic.  Lets face it, they feed on each other in the most violent ways. Too much fake news these days. 

Sentient? now that's funny ;)

14 hours ago, CrowMan said:

In Germany and Switzerland "catch & release" fishing has been banned for some time now. You can still catch a fish and eat it, but C & R is considered "torturing an animal for your own personal amusement". Obviously Bass Tournaments aren't a thing there...

"In Switzerland and Germany, catch and release fishing is considered inhumane and is now banned.[5] In Germany, the Animal Welfare Act states that "no-one may cause an animal pain, suffering or harm without good reason".[6] This leaves no legal basis for catch and release due to its argued inherent lack of "good reason", and thus personal fishing is solely allowed for immediate food consumption. Additionally, it is against the law to release fish back into the water if they are above minimum size requirements and aren't a protected species or in closed season."

yea, if its liberals, then ignore.  Look what they've done here. It just boggles the mind. In germany, they also closed down all their nuke plants and are starving for power. I wouldn't use them as compass.

• Like 1

I often get asked how I can kill fish but wont hunt. Just the way I grew up is all.

It's said that I came out the chute in 3 foot swells with a rod in one hand, coffee in the other asking what the hot colors were.

We we staying at a place on Kashawakamak Lake years ago when one of the guys came in saying he had caught a pike in an inflow area that had a perch shad rap in its mouth. The same lure my brother had lost to a pike bite off an hour or so before. So... from my personal experience, if a fish is still willing to eat with a lure stuck in its mouth, i would say they dont feel pain.

My brother got his shad rap back.

• Like 1

I also don't believe fish feel pain (at least not in their mouth). If they did, they would only eat soft things not spiny fish or crustaceans. Imagine putting a spiny perch in your mouth and chomping down on a dorsal fin, or a catfish and getting one of those spines in the roof of your mouth...you would never eat a perch or a catfish again. And of course we know that doesn't happen. I believe fish fight because they are being pulled in a direction against their will, not because of pain. If you stop pulling the fish stops fighting. Seen lots of fish just sit quietly in one spot if you stop reeling.

• Like 2