Ice fisherman cheated death

lew

3 hours ago, Terry said:

This had to be staged , I could see exactly where is was going to fall in 

I am wondering the same. Maybe he had someone nearby to rescue him if he started to fail?? Its not like he fell through in some unique weak spot. None of that ice could support him. There is no way you could go on that ice and not expect to fall in. It's either staged or that guy is suicidal but then changed his mind.

Staged or not still shows the effort needed to climb back out. My parents gave me a set of picks when I first started ice fishing but I thought they were more useful in the bucket instead of with me. These days it’s a different story but I rarely get out on the ice as it is.

Edited by livinisfishin

I have zero interest in ice fishing so only saw the 1st minute or so but thought some here may want to see it. Whether it's fake, staged or whatever I have no idea.

• Like 2

I understand Lew, having give it some thought, I 100 % believe this a hoax. He would have been clawing at the ice much more frantically than he is. And also when he reaches shore he would have been getting out of his wet clothes and into some heat, if that's what they are, it could possibly be a wet suit. I would expect he would have been hypothermic the time spent in the water. It may also have been a shallow lake where he is actually walking on bottom. I know good sized lakes that I can walk across and from one end to the other in hip waders. I only watched the video once but I would also expect in a situation like this to see water on his camera lens. Just my thoughts.

staged or not i did watch the whole thing! Hope to never find myself in that predicament. I did go to youtube to read the comments...they say not staged. Claim ice was good in the morning and got worse as the day progressed. Not sure I believe that , that ice was really bad. Not convinced "good ice" can turn to that in the course of a day.

• 3 weeks later...

If you ever find yourself in icy waters, through the ice or a capsized boat , remember the 1-10-1 Rule.

It could save your life.

Apparently something like 80% of people drown in the first few minutes they fall into icy waters, due to panic.

The 1-10-1 rule:

you have 1 minute to control your panic.

you have 10 minutes of meaningful movement- your body will function somewhat normally in almost freezing temp waters for 10 minutes - to get out of the water.

you have 1 hour to live, assuming you have your Lifejacket or floater coat on, . In near freezing water, you can live for about 1 hour before critical hypothermia, so a signaling device can save you an hour after you fall in - reflector, whistle, a waving hand ….

The biggest thing is the panic, people actually swim away from shore and safety because of panic.

So if you go in, think 1-10-1

A life jacket or floater coat is  always a good idea when on icy waters as well.