Minn Kota Terrova vs Ulterra

RickOnt

48 minutes ago, RickOnt said:

Porkpie   Do you use spot lock much?

How does it perform?

The spotlock is certainly better on the newer trolling motors.

in fact I’d argue the spot lock on the new terrova is the best I have used. It’s better than my Garmin force’s 

I’ve used both models I had a Gen one iPilot on my old boat and have now used the Gen two on my dads boat and it’s certainly way better

• Like 1

I have a 2017 Terrova...I believe it's the first year with the "new & improved" i-pilot. It keeps you locked in to no more than a 5 ft radius on a spot, with a minimim of fuss regardless of wind and waves.  A buddy has an older version...it barely keeps you within 20 ft of a spot, and often feels like you're on an amusement park ride with all the adjusting and spinning.

2 hours ago, RickOnt said:

Porkpie   Do you use spot lock much?

How does it perform?

I have the previous generation terrova, 2015ish model.  I find the spot lock performs all enough for what I need.  I don’t use it a great deal, I use it as an autopilot as 80 percent of my fishing involves trolling.  The spot lock on older generations definitely performs better in current.  It tends to hunt a bit more on open water but it’s good enough for the occasions I use it.  I hear the newer ones are better but don’t really know.  Everyone I know is squeezing the life out of their old ones before replacing.   I will say that I burned out the GPS head unit on 2 units now, one a motorguide xi5, the other my current terrova.  Both times I got lucky, the xi5 had an extended bass pro warranty, the terrova I had just happened to buy a Canadian tire terrova head unit and remote kit on clearance when the new models came out.  I had bought it for the remote but ended up needing the GPS module.  They all fail if you kick crap out of them.  I’d still take a terrova over any of the others.  

12 hours ago, RickOnt said:

Yes Akri is right on re lift assist

My Terrova does not have lift assist but I have no problem with deploy or stow But look forward to have lift assist

The newer Terrova also has the jog feature which mine does not

The newer Terrova is supposed to have improved spot lock

Does anyone have any experience with this?

It is what I use the most.

New Terrova definitely has better spot lock then my older motor.   However you can upgrade the old models to the new Bluetooth setups (New head, GPS, etc)   That will give you all the features of the new motor without having to shell out the entire cost of a new motor.

• Like 1

We run an Ulterra year around . When away on trips in the fall / winter it gets brought in at night, it does require some forward thought into using it in cold weather as parts can freeze but that being said it has been just as bullet proof as the Terrova. There is a brand new Terrova sitting in the shop as a back up but it we have yet to open the box. The over all convenience of the Ulterra is great . I think it depends on your boat and the style of fishing you do. When I was up on LOTW this September we left the Crestliner behind and were fishing out of a couple of friends boats with Terrova’s for Musky. Do you think I could remember to stow the motor? Everytime I need a reminder up front lol. If you run and gun the Ulterra definitely makes life easier. I’m a big fan of the ipilot networking but that only helps if you are running Hummingbird graphs . 

At the end of the day I just think it comes down to how you fish. I’ve heard a lot of stories on bad experiences with the Ulterra but that hasn’t been my own experience. 

Edited by JonnyButts

4 hours ago, JonnyButts said:

We run an Ulterra year around . When away on trips in the fall / winter it gets brought in at night, it does require some forward thought into using it in cold weather as parts can freeze

I wonder if you are onto something here. The guy that runs his ulterra permanently deployed up in PAB is in the area every november during the pickerel run. Obviously we run into some very cold mornings and Im wondering if this was the demise of his motor.

The 36V 112 Terrova's of old you have to be careful with, always. In rough conditions the head is heavy, sits big on the standard cradle and will self deploy then, explode the shaft if you're ripping. Hasn't happened to me, but twice I know of. The 24V 80's, no issues. The new Terrovas this year have beefed up some for both the 24 and 36's but they're brushless now and more $$$. 

The Ulterras... well, they "can" act up! Or at least, some were and time has improved them. 

If I have a preference here Rick... Terrova. Less to act up or go wrong.

On 11/12/2023 at 8:24 AM, RickOnt said:

Which trolling motor would you get ??

The biggest difference I can see is the Ultrerra has self store and deploy.  But maybe more problems

I presently have a Terrova   and have had 0 isuses The auto store/deploy is a non problem

I would get another 80 thrust, 60 inch shaft an 24 volt without link

What do you all think?

in 2018, i upgraded from a terrova to an ulterra w/BT and Link. I fish alone a fair bit and I wanted the extra safety of being able to stow/deploy from the helm.  After 2 months of ownership I ended up with an intermittent issue that affected the stow/deploy system. Got it fixed at Rockey's and it went on w/o issue until Aug. 2020 when I sold the boat. 

With that being said, I would certainly get another one and with the release of the new models I would highly recommend them.  One caveat - the BT model remote with the touch screen wasn't the best, YMMV.