Looking for a used pickup - what would you recommend

siwash

Hey guys,

I am considering a Ram (Hemi), Chevy/GMC, or Ford - preference for V8s (which is why Ford is last on the list as most of them are V6 turbos)

Vintage- 2015 to 2020.

Looking for a reliable truck.  I hear really good things about the Ram Hemi.  I also like the look of the Rams. 

Thoughts?

I was a diehard F150 guy until I bought my first EcoBoost (2012). Had problems (misfire) until I sold it and replaced with a 2016, same issues and some electronic probs. Have friends who bought F150's with 5L V8's. They had issues with very high oil consumption. Not saying that they haven't fixed the issues by now, but, I made the decision to go with RAM 1500 this time, (I am not a Chev/GMC truck lover). Bought a 2019 RAM 1500 Rebel and have driven it for 4 years, problem free, fingers crossed. Love the interior finish, great performance, better overall fuel economy than my F150 EcoBoost, (assuming you don't have a very heavy foot 🙂. The one thing I would change is the OffRoad tires on the Rebel, they are quite noisy, (more so in town than on highway). Tow a 30' trailer and 20' glass boat and sometimes forget I have something on the back..🤫.

Not sure what your budget is but used trucks seem to be pricey, particularly at dealers. 

I also like the Rams best (looks and styling wise).  I saw a few yesterday at the Barrie dealer off of Dunlop and online for upper 20s/low 30s - but I am looking at 2016 to 2018s. Can't afford the newer models. Just hoping those vintages are also good.  I was told to steer clear of the diesel unless towing long distances. Short, local commuting is bad for those engines apparently. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Weeds said:

Do you need a full size pickup or just want one?

Good question! Honesty, we probably don't need most of the things we own, do we? starting with our fishing gear!   We need to replace one of our cars... it's 15 years old, rusting and repairs are in the thousands almost every year...it's a Subaru Outback and has served us well.. When I look at replacement, I can get a pickup in the upper 20sOr a 4 cylinder Subaru again (we already have 2) and gas mileage on our Ascent averages 11 L/100 - nothing special... my neighbour's getting 13 on his pickup.. I'll spend a few hundred more on gas to get way more towing capacity, utility when I haul things, camp, hunt.. 

Necessary? Nope.. nor is this fishing site! :)

Is the Toyota really that much better?  They are super expensive used..  

I only buy used..

Edited by siwash

Hey, don’t get me wrong, I’ve owned and enjoyed numerous V8 powered cars and trucks over the years. Last being a 2017 Titan that probably sucked back 20 to 25 litres per 100km .  The novelty wore off pretty quick though.  I think people  often miscalculate their MPG, either knowingly or unintentionally. I’ve never gotten close to the claims I typically hear folks make. But, yeah, they are fun all the same. At the end of the day it’s your cash.

• Thanks 1

I've heard great things about that motor.  Supposed to be better on fuel. I don't own a large boat.  Quite light actually.  But I will be upgrading in the future. Still won't be over 3000lbs. 

the eco diesel is the other option. Apparently it's a motor that prefers long distances and stop and go driving will bring out its bad side 

• 4 weeks later...

Have you bought something yet?  I went to a Honda Pilot a while back.  I get a legitimate 8L per 100km on the highway with the 6 cylinder and can do 13-14 while towing.  My new boat is only 2000lbs but it did tow my last boat at 3500lbs adequately.  I’m pretty happy overall, but I do sometimes miss my truck.  It’s got a ton of cargo room in the back as well but again, you have to be more careful with tossing things in.

Holding off... I've read in a few sources and got info from a friend that with this economy and rates as high as they are, there are going to be a lot more trucks to choose from in a few months and well into next year - and better prices.. 

Edited by siwash

Defaults are rising. Lots of people renewing mortgages over the next year or two at MUCH higher rates. A truck is a luxury for most of us. You're gonna pay your mortgage first and walk away from a car lease and cancel your trip to Mexico!  Look up the numbers. It's getting bad. A lot of people are holding a lot of debt. 

Edited by siwash

• 2 weeks later...