outboard won't turnover

siwash

So took it out on the weekend and ended up having to use the electric all day.. 25 HP Evinrude (electric start).. It was converted to electric start by previous owner. It'a an older motor (late 70s). Buddy of mine says I need a new starter as battery seems fine and is charged.  It doesn't even turn over.  

Why else could it be? Thanks!  

6 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Could be the starter itself, or it could be a switch or a solenoid or an open connection. Was the starter acting up at all before? Also, does it not still have the starter rope?

Starter was not acting up before.. motor has run well all summer..Starter rope no longer exists. So the switches can just go on those things?   If I had to do process of elimination, should I start with starter?

Does the solenoid click/ make a noise when you try to start it 

I would check to see it there is a fuse in line for the smaller wire on the solenoid 

you can bypass or jump the solenoid, run booster cables to the start and see if that turns it over 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sasquach said:

You can also check to see if the kill switch is engaged. (Safety switch usually connected to your wrist) 

Lol. I'm on the Kipawa forum and one member was up for a week and on the first day after doing some slip bobber fishing they went to leave and the motor was dead. Fortunately they actually had cell service and phoned the lodge for a tow. Once they got back to the docks he noticed the kill switch was on. Well of course he got razzed all week and he actually changed his handle on the forum to killswitch.

Had a moment at the ramp for a tournament this year…motor wouldn’t even make a noise. Ran to the truck grabbed tools, checked all of the connections and even swapped my power over to my electronics battery to eliminate a bad battery…still nothing.

wiggled the throttle control…it wasn’t in neutral apparently…felt like a total moron.

cleaned the connections as best I could last night.. still nothing.. going to now check if this is the solenoid and/or the starter... not sure if this thing has a fuse - I cannot find it so I will have to dig up a schematic of the motor to get. abetter understanding of where everything is located! 

Edited by siwash