Pigeon musky report

siwash

3 hours ago, KraTToR said:

For Kawartha skis, you don't need expensive gear. Sure, its always nice but IMHO i'd stick with good solid mid-line gear like the Curado baitcaster, PowerPro braid (whatever is on sale >40lb), and something like a Okuma EVX-C-861H-Tb or something like that. You can cast or troll with that setup.

I have to smile that a reel, Curado, that's almost $300 is considered "mid-line". Yeah I know, you can also drop $600 on a Metanium. Don't get me wrong, I'm a bougie consumer of fishing gear myself...I'm at the point that any rod or reel under $200, I consider "cheap". It's just funny how my perception of what's "expensive" has changed over the years. 

For $300, I'd look at a Lexa 400 as a Musky reel. Certainly more suitable than a Curado if at some point you're going to go giant hunting on G Bay, the Larry or NWO. 

14 hours ago, KraTToR said:

For Kawartha skis, you don't need expensive gear. Sure, its always nice but IMHO i'd stick with good solid mid-line gear like the Curado baitcaster, PowerPro braid (whatever is on sale >40lb), and something like a Okuma EVX-C-861H-Tb or something like that. You can cast or troll with that setup.

Is this the rod?  If so, very reasonable..  I just feel like I should go easy spending big $$ at this stage.. I'm looking for quality but maybe something that doesn't have to be the last muskie outfit I buy.  I'll look at the Curado too.. any specific one?  The ABu 7001 suggested above also seems reasonable. I could pair that with this rod. 

Is this the Curado you're referring to?

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 7.53.39 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 8.01.57 AM.png

Edited by siwash

47 minutes ago, siwash said:

And it seems like longer rods (9+) are preferred over shorter rods - why?

Longer rods will cast further, are easier to work baits (jerk and glide), provise more leverage to drive big hooks home, and are easier to do a figure 8 at the boat..

8'6" is probably the most preferred length. Keep in mind they're almost exclusively one piece...in terms of transporting. There are a  few with a telescopic butt section.

One of the advantages of a low profile reel like a Curado or Lexa, compared to a round reel like the Abu 7000  or Calcutta is the balance and comfort in your hand...lower centre of gravity and weight. If you're mostly trolling...no big deal...But if you're casting all day, there is a difference. Make sure you try them in your hand before buying. Many folks also prefer a single power handle (as opposed to twin paddles) for more cranking power.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Many folks also prefer a single power handle (as opposed to twin paddles) for more cranking power.

The reel I primarily used for casting large spinnerbaits was a Calcutta TE 400 and with a power handle on it and it absolutely does make a huge distance.

Edited by lew
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, siwash said:

Is this the rod?  If so, very reasonable..  I just feel like I should go easy spending big $$ at this stage.. I'm looking for quality but maybe something that doesn't have to be the last muskie outfit I buy.  I'll look at the Curado too.. any specific one?  The ABu 7001 suggested above also seems reasonable. I could pair that with this rod. 

Is this the Curado you're referring to?

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 7.53.39 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 8.01.57 AM.png

Not sure what price you can find an Abu 7000 for (seems to me about $300 cdn) but this Daiwa is a good deal imo for the same price, and will be easier to cast with. MagForce casting controls and low profile. Will do everything you want for many years to come...

Curado 300 is also a good option if you prefer Shimano...it will be a little "lighter duty" than a 400 series reel.

Tranx is the ultimate Shimano Musky reel but that's a hefty jump in price

I'm smiling at your comment "the last Muskie outfit I buy"....I have a basement full of fishing gear that at one time I bought because I thought it was "good enough"... but of course something shinier, flashier with better technology came along (and I had more disposable income) and now it sits gathering dust...was the "good enough" a wise investment...hmmm...in hindsight maybe not...but that's me

Screenshot_20230826_090342_Chrome.jpg

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

I’m gonna tell you outright, any reel you buy, make sure it has a power handle. I tried without and gave up basically immediately.

crow and bill, check out the diawa/nishine Bessie it’s a musky sized spy bait made by as you know one of the best lure makers on the planet

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I’m gonna tell you outright, any reel you buy, make sure it has a power handle. I tried without and gave up basically immediately.

crow and bill, check out the diawa/nishine Bessie it’s a musky sized spy bait made by as you know one of the best lure makers on the planet

$70 USD.. yikkes but now i gotta get one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CrowMan said:

I have to smile that a reel, Curado, that's almost $300 is considered "mid-line". Yeah I know, you can also drop $600 on a Metanium. Don't get me wrong, I'm a bougie consumer of fishing gear myself...I'm at the point that any rod or reel under $200, I consider "cheap". It's just funny how my perception of what's "expensive" has changed over the years. 

For $300, I'd look at a Lexa 400 as a Musky reel. Certainly more suitable than a Curado if at some point you're going to go giant hunting on G Bay, the Larry or NWO. 

For sure, the Lexa is a great option as well.  One of my favs is the Revo Winch LP that i've had for almost 10yrs but I'm not sure if its made any longer.  The point is that a good solid mid-line reel is all you need. That and a good seasonal maintenance plan and you're good to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

Yes, you can troll with any reel...the Lexa even has an option for a bait alarm/clicker...though personally I don't think it's necessary unless you're prone to snoozing while trolling

I only snooze when I am in my deer stand!  🤣

On 8/26/2023 at 9:49 AM, AKRISONER said:

Agreed. Power handle makes all the difference. First upgrade my reels get if it's missing.

Nice, never seen a musky sized spy bait before. I think I may pick one up. Have you used them before?

Edited by Dan668

1 minute ago, lew said:

My main rod was also the Legend Tournament Bill, best rod I ever used paired with the Shimano TE.

Same here...St Croix LT Long Ranger 8' 6" MH Fast is the first one I reach for...perfect bucktail/ topwater rod. Does everything else too, except for perhaps throwing or trolling 12"+ sticks of firewood. 

The St. Croix Musky Mojo line up are also nice rods at a little lower price point. Especially like the Winn grips.

4 hours ago, lew said:

My main rod was also the Legend Tournament Bill, best rod I ever used paired with the Shimano TE.

Yup, that's I'll I run besides the glass/graphite St.Croix Premier trolling rod I've got.   Really good bang for the buck, especially when Gagnons had all their St.Croix musky gear for 30% off during the Odyssey.   

I planned on buying my rod at Gagnons as that was my usual go to store but had never been to Sail before so I stopped in there 1st. They had the Legend Tournament rod I wanted but it was $150 MORE than Gagnons regular price. I went across the 401 and got the rod and never went back to Sail again.

• Like 1