Need new starter battery

captpierre

After 15 yrs might be time to replace my 24M Deka starter battery.  Since I got my Terrova with spotlock I use the Yammy 115 less to move around the weedbeds and with the Lowrance graph on for 3 hrs, I noticed the motor didn’t turn over as quick for the ride back to the dock.   Can’t seem to find another Deka around. 
Are marine cranking batteries different than automotive batteries? 
Is this one any good? Rated fairly well. 
IMG_2672.png.9e94d7e9198ba5960236e595322aafb5.png

• Like 1

+1 on the AGM but i've had great luck with flooded as long as you keep the electrolyte levels and charging in check.

Doing the math, the AGM costs over 2x as much so the little bit of extended life doesn't make financial sense. Move up to the group 27 if you have capacity concerns.

If you don't have one, i'd move up to a 2/3 bank charger rather than go to an AGM.  PM me if you req. details.

Any yes, marine batteries are different than automotive.

Only thing that matters in your case is how long you can stay out on the water while running your graph and anything else. But... 15 years is exceptional use out of your DEKA. 

You want to look at the Amp hour or reserve capacity limits. Most RC is calculated at how many minutes a battery will last at a 25 amps. The higher the number, the longer it will last. 

So a group 31 nautilus at 130 RC will last you a lot more time on the water over the 90 RC of the group 24. I mentioned this because there is no way you are drawing 25 amps from that battery at any given time.