Lots of OOS bass fishing Zone 17

captpierre

Crow...its america

On my most recent trip to Virginia talking with a couple of fellow bass boat central members/anglers that we met down there when explaining our closed season "they close fishing during the spawn? what liberal came up with that idea?!"

Theres a reason we have the best bass fishing on the entire planet without question. People will tell themselves what they want to think is right, no amount of studies/science is going to convince them otherwise. The funniest part is in texas they finally introduced strict slot limits to at least curb guys boxing spawning fish, sure enough texas in part with its share lunker program is absolutely taking off while the entirety of the rest of the country is literally falling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Crow...its america

On my most recent trip to Virginia talking with a couple of fellow bass boat central members/anglers that we met down there when explaining our closed season "they close fishing during the spawn? what liberal came up with that idea?!"

Theres a reason we have the best bass fishing on the entire planet without question. People will tell themselves what they want to think is right, no amount of studies/science is going to convince them otherwise. The funniest part is in texas they finally introduced strict slot limits to at least curb guys boxing spawning fish, sure enough texas in part with its share lunker program is absolutely taking off while the entirety of the rest of the country is literally falling.

Regardless of the conservation or  science aspect....as a consumer/viewer/fan, I just don't find it entertaining. You could throw  virtually anything at a bedding Bass and it'll get bit...and then they do it to the same fish again and again.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think the sponsors are doing themselves any favors if they're trying to attract eyeballs...there's little drama and frankly it's a non-event for me

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

Regardless of the conservation or  science aspect....as a consumer/viewer/fan, I just don't find it entertaining. You could throw  virtually anything at a bedding Bass and it'll get bit...and then they do it to the same fish again and again.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think the sponsors are doing themselves any favors if they're trying to attract eyeballs...there's little drama and frankly it's non- event for me

This is the entire debate right now with televised fishing…especially in 2023 with forward facing sonar

its just becoming less and less entertaining. You aren’t going to see many tournaments won throwing a frog or buzz bait. Up north it’s a heck of a lot of using floggers with hair jigs and drop shots.

down south it’s become a lot of throwing baits into brush piles using your forward facing sonar. It doesn’t make for great tv. 

gussy’s win at the classic basically gave everyone an aneurism, cap that with how decimated the fisheries in the south are becoming with every increasing tournament pressure and bed raping the fisheries, plus mix in a little herbicide spraying (I still can’t believe this stuff goes on” things are getting really ugly.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Personally, I have a problem with these tournaments that are held during the spawn, and where the winning strategy is to fish beds. This is a C&R tournament...watching the same guys catch the same fish multiple days in a row....and sometimes the same day...well, is that what a competition should be ? The same guy will keep catching and releasing the exact same fish to the point that it's exhausted and can no longer defend the nest. The fish aren't even eating...how much skill or talent is there in pulling fish off the beds, or the knowledge required in bait selection or presentation...

And don't get me started on the floggers...specifically used to find fish on the beds. 1000's of $$$ of electronics on the boat and it comes down to a plastic cone with a piece of glass in it....please.

Anyway, like I said personally I just don't get it, and frankly I think it does the "sport" a big disservice. It certainly doesn't meet my definition of "angling".

FB_IMG_1687232753619.jpg

Never was much of a fan of fishing for bedding fish, and even doing it for bluegill or crappie can harm the population without some limits and controls. Bother it until it bites?

On 6/14/2023 at 11:07 AM, Terry said:

yeah, you are in a bass boat you are not going to talk your way out of this one

That's going above and beyond the call of stupid. Or is someone selling crappie boats now? Pike boats? What the hell is my canoe? Is there such a thing as a perch dock? If I landed a Cessna 180 on floats and pulled out my gear am I targeting flying fish? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:42 PM, AKRISONER said:

There’s not better sinking feeling then when the OPP asks you to “turn on” your waterproof flashlight that you haven’t turned on in months lol

I got pinched for that one ! Was early March and I was an easy target. Lol

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:42 PM, AKRISONER said:

There’s not better sinking feeling then when the OPP asks you to “turn on” your waterproof flashlight that you haven’t turned on in months lol

Truer words have never been spoken... wait, let me spin the batteries, hit it a little... See! there's some light there.

Got stopped yesterday in parry sound by the MNR. 

was an awkward one because I had literally just caught a 4lb smallie and they came racing up on me. Sure enough I didn’t have my physical card on me, but I always keep my license summary on my phone…so I thought turns out I only had photos of the front and back of my physical license and my license summary was of my older license that’s since expired.

The CO was really good about it though. I think sometimes you get a little bit of the benefit of the doubt If you look like you at least know what you are doing out there a bit.

was good to finally confirm with a CO though that a pdf of your license summary saved to your phone is considered to be valid. I always have such a hard time keeping track of my physical license because between fishing rivers, ice fishing, fishing in my boat and others, it’s much easier to just have it on my phone.

They checked my live wells which were empty, and seeing me release that bass, we didn’t seem suspicious. Clearly a couple guys with 15 rods out all over the boat catching and releasing bass. 

the co couldn’t have been much over 35 years old, good to see some young guys joining the force. Talk about an awesome job, working this management zone, driving boats around parry sound all day I’m a little jealous, I’m not going to lie.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 4

On 6/25/2023 at 7:36 AM, AKRISONER said:

Got stopped yesterday in parry sound by the MNR. 

was an awkward one because I had literally just caught a 4lb smallie and they came racing up on me. Sure enough I didn’t have my physical card on me, but I always keep my license summary on my phone…so I thought turns out I only had photos of the front and back of my physical license and my license summary was of my older license that’s since expired.

The CO was really good about it though. I think sometimes you get a little bit of the benefit of the doubt If you look like you at least know what you are doing out there a bit.

was good to finally confirm with a CO though that a pdf of your license summary saved to your phone is considered to be valid. I always have such a hard time keeping track of my physical license because between fishing rivers, ice fishing, fishing in my boat and others, it’s much easier to just have it on my phone.

They checked my live wells which were empty, and seeing me release that bass, we didn’t seem suspicious. Clearly a couple guys with 15 rods out all over the boat catching and releasing bass. 

the co couldn’t have been much over 35 years old, good to see some young guys joining the force. Talk about an awesome job, working this management zone, driving boats around parry sound all day I’m a little jealous, I’m not going to lie.

I've talked to those boys before.   No drama, just wanted a peak in the livewell.   I don't think they even asked to see my fishing license. 

18 minutes ago, BillM said:

I've talked to those boys before.   No drama, just wanted a peak in the livewell.   I don't think they even asked to see my fishing license. 

I was in the lake trout sanctuary too, glad to see them in there after hearing some of this Bull about guys “fishing salmon” running spoons in killbear/rose island channel absolute garbage. 

• Like 1