Wacky rigs

siwash

I like  at least a 6 to 7 ft FC leader in clear water....actually even longer...I like the knot to be on the reel when landing the fish.

I use the FG most of the time. It's the slimmest and strongest connection by far. A little tricky to learn...but I now use a "FG Knot Assist Tool"...I posted about it on here a while back. Other knots that a lot of folks use are "Back to Back Uni" knots or the "Alberto". 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

I like  at least a 6 to 7 ft FC leader in clear water....actually even longer...I like the knot to be on the reel when landing the fish.

I use the FG most of the time. It's the slimmest and strongest connection by far. A little tricky to learn...but I now use a "FG Knot Assist Tool"...I posted about it on here a while back. Other knots that a lot of folks use are "Back to Back Uni" knots or the "Alberto". 

One thing that stresses me out is if I have to re-tie these connection knots while in the water.  Always a lot harder  I find. Thanks 

I’m going to counter what crow says because I have issues with my hands and therefore don’t bother even attempting to tie the fg knot.

because I’m stuck tying a double uni I typically tie a leader as long as I am willing to cast without the knot going through the top eyelet. I guess 24 inches is long enough.

the double uni is so bloody easy to tie, that even I can tie it with cold raynauds syndrome hands.

they literally never fail. Your line will break long before a uni knot fails.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

I’m going to counter what crow says because I have issues with my hands and therefore don’t bother even attempting to tie the fg knot.

because I’m stuck tying a double uni I typically tie a leader as long as I am willing to cast without the knot going through the top eyelet. I guess 24 inches is long enough.

the double uni is so bloody easy to tie, that even I can tie it with cold raynauds syndrome hands.

they literally never fail. Your line will break long before a uni knot fails.

So are you keeping the leaders short because the double uni doesn't go through the top eyelet?  Or can the leader length be longer?

4 hours ago, siwash said:

So are you keeping the leaders short because the double uni doesn't go through the top eyelet?  Or can the leader length be longer?

You can tie it longer for sure, it just doesn’t go through the eyelets like an fg 

my logic, is that for bass? They aren’t line shy at all from experience. A few feet of fluro 2-3 feet is enough to be invisible at the bait. The braided line doesn’t seem to bother them in the water, heck largemouth live amongst weeds they can’t tell braid from the weeds surrounding them. The only thing I will tie longer is a drop shot rig, that’s less of a rig I’m hoping to absolutely bomb casts with though so it works. 

my other complaint about the fg is that it’s a knot that needs to be masterfully tied or it will fail. You can ask my tournament partner about that one. We have a very innapropriate name for the knot now after it lost some giants for us. 

I see it fail so often that I just can’t trust it. Although the same can be said with most knots, there’s usually some feel to get them just right. 

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1

For me the Alberto is easier than the double uni...once you pinch the looped leader in one hand, you're just wrapping the braid around it...no switching hands.

The Alberto slides pretty easily through your guides...if you ever fish Spybaits, you'll appreciate having a very long (20 to 30ft) FC leader.

For the record, I can honestly say I've never had an FG knot fail, but I'm pretty meticulous about tying my knots...must be my experience as a Queen Scout some 50 years ago...lol

• Haha 1

I actually might start playing with the Alberto…how do you find it for actually holding?

also I’m just going to throw this in here because I spent years playing with knots looking for simplicity due to my hands, but when it comes to tying fluro or mono to your hook, I swear there is not better knot than the Eugene knot.

I find it so simple to tie because once you pinch the lead, you just wrap and can grab ahold of the loop at all times.

getting the tension perfect of the tag end does take some refinement, but that knot is one where if you didn’t tie it right, it’s obviously visible and you don’t literally feel it lock. When done right you always get the same result and it’s literally bulletproof and never failed me once.

also, this is how you tie a drop shot, I saw this video and never looked back

https://fb.watch/liItm9kDyk/?startTimeMs=2000&mibextid=v7YzmG

Edited by AKRISONER

10 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I actually might start playing with the Alberto…how do you find it for actually holding?

also I’m just going to throw this in here because I spent years playing with knots looking for simplicity due to my hands, but when it comes to tying fluro or mono to your hook, I swear there is not better knot than the Eugene knot.

I find it so simple to tie because once you pinch the lead, you just wrap and can grab ahold of the loop at all times.

getting the tension perfect of the tag end does take some refinement, but that knot is one where if you didn’t tie it right, it’s obviously visible and you don’t literally feel it lock. When done right you always get the same result and it’s literally bulletproof and never failed me once.

also, this is how you tie a drop shot, I saw this video and never looked back

https://fb.watch/liItm9kDyk/?startTimeMs=2000&mibextid=v7YzmG

Again, never had an Alberto fail. Most tests I've seen rank the breaking of the Alberto much stronger than a Double Uni. I find the Double Uni can be problematic if the braid and leader are of very different diameters...like making a Pike leader of 15lb braid to 60lb FC...or if you're using a slick fused braid like NanoFil (oh I miss you).

Can't say I've had any experience with the Eugene...90% of the time I'm tying a Palomar...it's just so quick, easy and fool-proof. It's what I use for the drop shot tòo...I find that the double loops of line through the hook eye help support the hook in an upright position...and yes, I always run the tag end down through the eye again 

If you can tie the Eugene, the Alberto should be a piece of cake..basically the same thing..pinch and wrap

so heres the catch with the palomar...it burns light fluro and is prone to breaking. I went through it for a few years thinking I was getting bit off, and once again ive then watched my tournament partner be adamant that he is getting it off...but then spending too much time with him fishing on the tri-lakes no one hooks into musky that often. 

The thing is that the line always breaks clean to so it can be mistaken for a bite off, however speaking from experience, when you actually get bit off, typically the break is very very unclean and your line looks more shreaded than purely cut.

Yes hes always extremely careful to not twist the line and ensure that it has clean grab ahold of everything, the knot gets so tight on a hard hookset it literally cuts itself.

Can't say I've personally experienced that with the Palomar.

Usuallly if the knot fails, the remaining tag end will be slightely deformed or there'll be a little curly-cue.  Pike and Musky teeth can be like razors...a very clean slice. Even a hammer-handle can leave you "piked".

Any knot can fail, but If you don't cross the line and you lubricate the knot, the Palomar is as bulletproof as it gets. Your partner may be crossing the line, that's really the only way it can cut itself:

https://www.wired2fish.com/fishing-knots/2-tips-to-avoid-palomar-knot-failure-with-fluorocarbon/

I can't  imagine between the give of the rod and the drag on the reel of breaking a properly tied knot on the hook set...although with chemically sharpened hooks these days my hook sets are more of a flick of the wrist, than an over the head reef.

Anyway, there's 100's of knots out there, all with proponents as the best...for me at my age it comes down to muscle memory...my fingers just go into automatic mode, so I just stick with the old fav's.

3 hours ago, siwash said:

So are these knots best for similar diameter lines or can they work well with varying widths?

Palomar knots truthfully are so bloody easy to tie and basically work with all diameters of line. 

to a point, when using heavier gauge fluro for pike leaders etc I will tie it to connect to my lure. 

I like the eugene knot for fluro under 20lbs. 

the number one reasonwhy I use these knots are they are what I’m able to tie when I lose dexterity in my fingers essentially any time the air temperature is below 10 degrees C (raynauds syndrome is a PITA)

once again I simply complain about breakage. With the palomar knot, but to each his own. Learn the knot though, there are many times you will be fishing with straight braid, frogging, flipping, throwing a jig at cover, heck even whack rigging if you are fishing pads…in that case just run a palomar knot with straight braid and give err

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, siwash said:

What do you guys think of these kits? Seems like a good deal...

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 6.06.57 AM.png

Basically everything in that kit except the weights looks useless

i don’t know why you’d wanna drop shot with a giant ewg looking hook. No idea why they have some weird looking nail weights then there’s no need for swivels or snaps to drop shot.

go to Canadian tire and get some gamakatsu drop shot hooks in size 2 and some drop shot weights in 1/4 and call it a day. Should cost you about $15 

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Except when the wind is up…

Right.  I tend to stay home on real windy days.  And in moderate winds, I put the motor on spot lock so I can cover an area.  But I catch your drift, and thanks for that.

Doug

• Like 1

Tried a wacky this weekend on the French. To be honest I didn't give it enough time and the presentation wasn't perfect. I did catch a fish with it! A rock bass 🤣

What are your favourite senko style colours? 

20 minutes ago, siwash said:

Tried a wacky this weekend on the French. To be honest I didn't give it enough time and the presentation wasn't perfect. I did catch a fish with it! A rock bass 🤣

What are your favourite senko style colours? 

Like anything, I keep it very simple when it comes to colours. Senkos, brownish, green tones. Green pumpkin and whatever flake fits your fancy.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 12:50 AM, AKRISONER said:

You can tie it longer for sure, it just doesn’t go through the eyelets like an fg 

my logic, is that for bass? They aren’t line shy at all from experience. A few feet of fluro 2-3 feet is enough to be invisible at the bait. The braided line doesn’t seem to bother them in the water, heck largemouth live amongst weeds they can’t tell braid from the weeds surrounding them. The only thing I will tie longer is a drop shot rig, that’s less of a rig I’m hoping to absolutely bomb casts with though so it works. 

my other complaint about the fg is that it’s a knot that needs to be masterfully tied or it will fail. You can ask my tournament partner about that one. We have a very innapropriate name for the knot now after it lost some giants for us. 

I see it fail so often that I just can’t trust it. Although the same can be said with most knots, there’s usually some feel to get them just right. 

True. It can be a very frustrating knot but once you get you get it and it’s tied on for a while. Typically I’m tying at the kitchen table with reading glasses the night before a trip. On the boat it’s a double uni or alberto knot 

On 6/21/2023 at 10:00 AM, AKRISONER said:

so heres the catch with the palomar...it burns light fluro and is prone to breaking. I went through it for a few years thinking I was getting bit off, and once again ive then watched my tournament partner be adamant that he is getting it off...but then spending too much time with him fishing on the tri-lakes no one hooks into musky that often. 

The thing is that the line always breaks clean to so it can be mistaken for a bite off, however speaking from experience, when you actually get bit off, typically the break is very very unclean and your line looks more shreaded than purely cut.

Yes hes always extremely careful to not twist the line and ensure that it has clean grab ahold of everything, the knot gets so tight on a hard hookset it literally cuts itself.

I have moved to the three tag end knot for fluorocarbon. Not sure the actual name but it’s a great knot. Havnt had it break yet