Wacky rigs

siwash

26 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

It’s nice you think BPS and Cabela’s still have quality tackle 😂

The big box retailers have become so out of touch with current enthusiast trends...that it's to the point that the Crappy Tire in the west end of Kingston has a better selection of (in store) baits than BPS.

Whoever the purchasing manager is at this particular CT store, they really know their stuff. This store is no regular CT...3 full aisles of soft plastics alone...including brands like MegaBass, Keiteck and JackAll...also LuckyCraft, Duo and EverGreen hard baits...even an aquarium with game fish in the middle of the store.

This is one location that ain't that crappy..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

The big box retailers have become so out of touch with current enthusiast trends...that it's to the point that the Crappy Tire in the west end of Kingston has a better selection of (in store) baits than BPS.

Whoever the purchasing manager is at this particular CT store, they really know their stuff. This store is no regular CT...3 full aisles of soft plastics alone...including brands like MegaBass, Keiteck and JackAll...also LuckyCraft, Duo and EverGreen hard baits...even an aquarium with game fish in the middle of the store.

This is one location that ain't that crappy..

Like to me its apparent, CT and BP, they cater to the guy that wants to go fishing a couple of times while hes at the cottage. However I truly believe that its a failing business structure and it wont be long before they go out of business.

If you go to BP, its noticeable, the place is far too empty for such a gigantic floor space and the quality of set up/inventory has greatly suffered. There is only so many lead weights and bobbers and $80 fishing combos you can sell to people IMO. Literally every single person thats been to a lake has an old tackle box loaded with junk fishing gear. You might sell the crap one time to somebody but theres no need for them to ever replenish their supply. Meanwhile the guys that are actually getting at it every week need high quality tackle and are constantly spending money on high ticket merchandise, the kind of stuff that would actually keep a store open.

Heck whats the profit margin on the $140 swimbait I just bought from Peterborough Pro Tackle? Surely thats a more profitable venture than selling BPS branded junk crank baits to the guy going to the cottage for the long weekend?

Either way, the only complaint that I have is that for whatever reason, Gagnon's, Peterborough Pro Tackle and Pro J are all bloody east of the GTA. Like am I crazy or is there a massive opportunity for someone to open something West/North of the city? Or do we simply not like bassin enough once you are too far from the kawarthas.

Would rather shop from a local independently owned retailer than the walmart of fishing anyways. 

Finally, No hate to Jasper at PRO J or the boys at Gagnons, but after my most recent visit to PPT...man, they might be running one of the best tackle shops in north America at the moment. Ive had the pleasure of visiting a few of the big shops down in the states, and they arent even on PPT's level. Their selection and brands they are carrying now...geeez mind blown.

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Like to me its apparent, CT and BP, they cater to the guy that wants to go fishing a couple of times while hes at the cottage. However I truly believe that its a failing business structure and it wont be long before they go out of business.

If you go to BP, its noticeable, the place is far too empty for such a gigantic floor space and the quality of set up/inventory has greatly suffered. There is only so many lead weights and bobbers and $80 fishing combos you can sell to people IMO. Literally every single person thats been to a lake has an old tackle box loaded with junk fishing gear. You might sell the crap one time to somebody but theres no need for them to ever replenish their supply. Meanwhile the guys that are actually getting at it every week need high quality tackle and are constantly spending money on high ticket merchandise, the kind of stuff that would actually keep a store open.

Heck whats the profit margin on the $140 swimbait I just bought from Peterborough Pro Tackle? Surely thats a more profitable venture than selling BPS branded junk crank baits to the guy going to the cottage for the long weekend?

Either way, the only complaint that I have is that for whatever reason, Gagnon's, Peterborough Pro Tackle and Pro J are all bloody east of the GTA. Like am I crazy or is there a massive opportunity for someone to open something West/North of the city? Or do we simply not like bassin enough once you are too far from the kawarthas.

Would rather shop from a local independently owned retailer than the walmart of fishing anyways. 

Finally, No hate to Jasper at PRO J or the boys at Gagnons, but after my most recent visit to PPT...man, they might be running one of the best tackle shops in north America at the moment. Ive had the pleasure of visiting a few of the big shops down in the states, and they arent even on PPT's level. Their selection and brands they are carrying now...geeez mind blown.

Yeah, not sure why there's no retailer worth going out of the way to north of the GTA....I guess the rich folks with their McMansions in Muskoka just dont fish much..

However, west of the GTA, Fishing World in Hamilton and Natural Sports in Kitchener are always worth a stop.

With a home in Oakville and a cottage in Frontenac, I'm  pretty fortunate as Pro J, Gagnons and PPT can all be en route. JB's is also not bad. And that CT store in Kingston gets a lot of my money too..

As for shops south of the border, If you ever make it out to Phoenix, visit Hook Up Tackle...between the inventory and the knowledge of the sales staff...all I can say is WOW !

Edited by CrowMan

57 minutes ago, siwash said:

where do you buy your tackle? I'm looking for better sources.  Online? 

Peterborough Pro Tackle. Their online store is really good too.

RE: The hookup tackle...apparently they are number one in the world and are a bass boat central sponsor. I just never shop with them because its american. They truly have almost everything you can image. I fairly often get extremely annoyed at how hard it can sometimes be to get stuff here in canada. I recently was simply trying to find 8 strand braid in colours other than moss green and it was nearly impossible. Drives me insane.

Fishing in Canada vs fishing in the USA is a whole different thing. I do not know if it is mind set or the amount of fishing or the amount of people that love fishing. I am on many fly fishing sites on FB. Guess which has more? USA. Those guys down there are right into it. Up here,I have found a handful and they are not that great. Yes, there are the east coast and west coast ones,but in the USA,they are everywhere throughout the states.  This is why BPS and Cabelas and small stores thrive down there and not up here. I was peed off when Sails closed in Vaughan. They had a much better selection then BPS.

And YES, ONLINE shopping is killing small shops here. I have finally got on the online shoppping. Lots of my supplies come from BC and some from up in northern ont. I have even ordered from Montana now,as I cannot get a better price for my leg material for my bugs.

Peterborough pro tackle has an unbelievable online store. The problem is that you lose the experience of browsing all of their incredibly rare imported tackle from Japan. They had stuff I’d never even dream of looking up. I could spend hours In there.

• Like 1

Echo the above. I ordered for the first time from PPT. Normally I have to run around or place multiple orders everywhere, but they literally had everything under one roof. Including all the tackle that is currently hot and hard to find.

• Like 1