Island 10 Lady Evelyn

riverwader

We booked an early July trip to Island 10.  Have not fished Lady Evelyn before. We are mostly interested in smallmouth and walleye. Pike too, but I hear they tend to be small there.  We’d appreciate any tips on type of structure, depths and techniques for that time of year.  Thanks in advance. 

Our group fished it late last July. Top notch hosts and service. 

What should have been slowest block of the season for walleye we boated plenty of fish. Baits across the spectrum will work but by the end of the week every rod was rigged with jigheads and minnows/worms. 

We travelled around a bit but found that we didn't have to go too far to find fish. Most productive spots we found were Spike island along with the two humps just off it that aren't marked on lodge or navionics chart. The weed flat off the Eskers was productive for both walleye, smallies and the odd pike. There's a marked shoal on the way into the main lake that held smallies and the odd walleye. 

We donated 17 fish to the weekly fish fry and went home with walleye limits for the four of us. 

As great as the American plan experience was if I had to do it again if settle for an unstructured housekeeping fish whenever you feel like it outing. 

You'll have an outstanding time. Enjoy and good luck.

Edited by moxie
Replaced estuary with Eskers

2 hours ago, Terry said:

Yes I know that but their website is made for Americans this is why they advertise it us bucks even thou they are in Canada 

i prefer to give my Canadian money to a business that directs their business to me

There are 3 other lodges on Lady Evelyn

8 hours ago, 16 Footer said:

I am also interested in fishing Lady Evelyn. Does anyone know of a trailer tow service for hire to get my boat (500 lbs with motor and gear) around the dam from Mowat Landing? I plan to camp not a lodge. 

Mitchell's (can't remember his first name for the life of me) will shuttle you around the dam for ~$25 or could be $50 or so now the way things are going.  He can accommodate pretty well any reasonably sized boat.  Cash only.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

Mitchell's (can't remember his first name for the life of me) will shuttle you around the dam for ~$25 or could be $50 or so now the way things are going.  He can accommodate pretty well any reasonably sized boat.  Cash only.

Is there a way of contacting Mitchell to confirm his availability? Thanks for your reply.

Edited by 16 Footer
Add relpy.

• 2 weeks later...

Because Americans were prohibited from crossing the border die to the Vid we were offered the American plan at par. As great as the service was at the lodge. If I do make it out there again  I'd hit another lodge that offers housekeeping only due to the fact you can come and go as you please to maximize time on the water.

IMG_20210722_140146.jpg

IMG_20210728_123634.jpg

IMG_20210728_123536.jpg

IMG_20210728_123605.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been to Lady Evelyn 3x over the past 12 years - once at Island 10 and twice at Garden Island Lodge. My last trip was in August 2018 to Garden Island. Joe sold GIL the following year.

I prefer GIL due to the central location on the lake. 

I was a bit disappointed with the fishing on my last trip. Noticed more locals fishing as well. Of course, it had been 10 years between trips. We did alright,  but not as good as the previous 2x. I would recommend bringing meat. While I almost always fish plastics for Walleye, I think the lake has shifted to more of a meat lake. Just that little edge should improve the fishing. Of course, that is based on a 1 week trip in August. 

The best spot for us was "The Dome" (I think it is also called Four Corners) [47.276550,-80.202684]. Island points produced as well - not surprising[ e.g.,47.345926,-80.181109] . Caught fish quite deep at times too. The saddles between the island held tons of fish [e.g.,47.297350,-80.190486] . You would probably do well at these spots in the fall. I imagine Sucker Gut might be good too if the fish are migrating.

When we stayed at Island 10, the one spot I can recall was just North of camp. I don't recall exactly, but I believe it was probably the pinch point between the shore and the large island just west of Island 10 (my maps showed no name for the island)[47.384331,-80.156786].  It may have been the point just north of camp as well [47.389779,-80.143397]. I just don't recall.

Good luck!

Edited by adempsey
  • Like 1