Forks of the Credit report

ehg

Tried the Forks of the Credit area today in hopes of catching some small trout and getting

a little fresh air. This a secluded little gem of an area fairly close to Toronto.

Some pics of the Credit here

IMG_0006-7.jpg

An old structure

IMG_0008-7.jpg

Was able to catch alot of small rainbows and browns on a #4 Panther Martin

which had to have the treble cut off and replaced with a single barbless hook.

Had to try and pinch down the barb.

IMG_0002-9.jpg

Didn't take pictures of bows or browns as they seemed to small, was waiting for larger ones.

Needed to 'set the hook' to keep fish on, alot just fell off before landing.

Was able to catch a few nice brookies as well, here is some maybe over a foot long. IMG_0003-9.jpg

I'm not stepping on this ones head, though it looks that way.

IMG_0004-8.jpg

This one looked a little different than the small bows and browns i caught.

IMG_0001-2.jpg

Maybe an Atlantic salmon parr?

Anyways, ended up tripping and falling, resulting in a broken reel handle.

IMG_0005-6.jpg

Then decided to leave, caught a couple more of them on the way out.

With broken handle. (Twirled around with thumb)

Nice quick little getaway on a summers day.

cheers,

ehg

Atlantic parr, sure is some nice water that away

I think it might be an Atlantic as well. Initially i thought it was a rainbow due to silvery flashes underwater

before it was landed.

If it is an Atlantic it would make the species photographed the only native salmon/trout to the river.

At one time, maybe over 100 yrs. ago both species would go right into Lake Ontario.

It is a nice area.

ehg

I'm no identification expert but given the location and the look (fork tail), I'd say it's an atlantic parr.

Pic16.jpg

An online pic that looks pretty similar.

I'm no expert either but that fish picture u have posted there is identical to what i scooped up with some minnows this morning at a local creek that feeds out into lake erie. I wish i had taken a picture now but i did not want to keep it out of the water longer than needed to be as it was obvious it was a very small fry. But seriously the tail and the markings are absolutley with out a doubt identical.

Thought i'd add some pics from another time for comparison.

A rainbow

IMG_0012-2.jpg

a brown

IMG_brown.jpg

this thing

IMG_0001-2.jpg

Looks a little like a brown but the big black dots on gill cover are salmon like.

But whatever, was a nice day out.

ehg

WTG ehg! Bly and I were just saying we should try some holes at some local tribs again soon. This post confirms that we should go ahead and do that! Some nice fish there...colours look awesome. Sorry to hear about the reel!!! Good thing you didn't hook into a big fish...twirling around with your thumb could have been interesting to say the least!!! LOL.

I also believe it is an Atlantic because of the spots on the gill plate atlantics have 3 spots on there gill plate. On the other hand rainbows do not have spots on there gill plate especially that big. There for Atlantic. They stock them up there so it probably isn’t unusual.

Great report! One of my favourite places, haven't been for a while, 30 minutes from home. I have to read up on the regs by the sounds of it they may have changed.

I'm doing a book for Great Fall Drives in Ontario and I was told to change my copy regarding Belfountain as this as the roards are now under construction, is this accurate?

That is for sure an atlantic, as already said, the spots on the gill plate (3) are a dead giveaway. OFAH and local angling clubs have been stocking them up there for a while now.

Sinker

OKAY so if they are stocking them over there does anyone know if they have been stocking them here in lake erie. Because i am for sure with out a doubt positive that that is exaclty what i scooped up in my net while catching minnows on sunday morning at a creek that feeds into erie.

Great report! One of my favourite places, haven't been for a while, 30 minutes from home. I have to read up on the regs by the sounds of it they may have changed.

I'm doing a book for Great Fall Drives in Ontario and I was told to change my copy regarding Belfountain as this as the roards are now under construction, is this accurate?

I noticed that the Forks of Credit road was closed for construction from McLaren Rd. westwards

but didn't notice for how long.

Nautifish, i'm not aware of stocking of fish in Lake Erie but don't think Atlantic's are put in there.

cheers,

ehg

Nautifish, i'm not aware of stocking of fish in Lake Erie but don't think Atlantic's are put in there.

cheers,

ehg

Well i have neither heard or read anything either myself. This is really bugging me now and i am annoyed at myself for not having my camera with me. I usually allways have it with me..... :wallbash: But as i said i am positively sure that is exactly what it was and the other person with me at the time also agrees.