Lake Ontario Report - June 30th

ccmtcanada

Slowpoke contacted me yesterday afternoon and offered Bly and I a few spots in his boat to hunt down some salmon on Lake Ontario!! Well...it was an offer we couldn't refuse. After quickly re-arranging our plans and bribing our oldest to babysit, the plans were set!

My alarm went of at 330 this morning and we got ready to go. Here's a cool shot on the way to Bronte Harbour...check out the moon just over the sign....

01drive.jpg

We met up with Slowpoke at a Tim Hortons and headed down to the boat launch. It was a beautiful morning....18C with light winds. It was hard to believe that the water we launched in was actually Lake Ontario!! Very calm and warm outside for 630am!!

02smoothwater.jpg

03morningwater.jpg

Slowpoke began to set up all the rods. I decided to help by putting about a thousand pieces of sinkers, hooks and other assorted tackle strategically on the floor of the boat in case he needed it....actually...I bumped it and CRASH it went....just 2 minutes after he told us how anal retentive he is about his tackle....DOH!!! :dunno::blush: He graciously said it was his fault, but it wasn't. I was just happy he still let me fish...in case you've never seen him...he's a wee bit bigger and stronger than I am....LOL. :lol:

We each had two in the water, with 4 running on downriggers, 1 on a dipsy diver and the other using a lead core setup. We hadn't even setup all the rods yet when Bly gets a fish on!!

04carolefight.jpg

Here is comes....

05carolelanding.jpg

Bly, in true fashion, lands the biggest fish of the day....LOL. A nice 35.5" salmon. Caught in 50 FOW, on a silver with green/yellow stripe NK Magna spoon.

06carolesalmon.jpg

I was up next!! A little while later, again with the lead core setup, I get this small nice one...the colours were beautiful!

07clifffish.jpg

When we went to remove the hooks, it burped up it's breakfast...here's a pic with the HOT lure of the day.

08cliffbait.jpg

Well...Slowpoke was up next...and soon he lands this nice little one...again...really nice colours....

09slowpokefish.jpg

Then Bly again...with a little guy...

10carolefish2.jpg

Slowpoke then lands our last fish of the day...

12slowpokefish2a.jpg

A little while later in the morning, we all hear something that makes us turn our heads!! We take a look and this sailboat almost tips over when the winds started up...after a few times of listing far to one side, it finally regains control....but it was a few tense minutes.

13sailboat.jpg

Wow...what an awesome day on the water! We couldn't have asked for a better guide for the day. Slowpoke took the time to explain everything to us, since we had no idea what was going on...LOL. We now know how to set up dipsy divers and we all took turns setting the up the down riggers. At least Bly and I know what it means now for when others talk about it on the board...LOL.

It was a real pleasure for Bly and I to fish with Slowpoke...thanks a lot for thinking of us and inviting us to join you on this awesome day!! We truly did have a blast out there!

What a great day! It was a pleasure meeting CC & Bly at Lakair but even better to get on the water with them.

You've seen the fish... green was the colour of the day and the leadcore was hot. For those of you intimately familier with leadcore, you can probably appreciate (with a devilish grin) why I suggested Bly take the leadcore rod first if it goes off. A full core, 10 colours with an angry 35.5" Salmon on the other end. Bly brought it in like a pro.

Not to be outdone, CC nabs the second on the leadcore... 2 for 1 special if you include the breakfast we pulled out of its mouth.

I got lucky with my bow, we saw it jump but it didn't pop the release on the downrigger. On the second jump I grabbed the rod, set the hook and held on for the ride. Good fight for a little fella, left the water a couple more times and pulled some drag. NK28 Watermelon took that one.

Bly was up for number four, back on the leadcore with the NK Magnum silver/green.

Number five should have been CC's but he was setting up rods so I grabbed the dipsy with a cheesy green doller store type spoon. Another little fella but it was nice to see the dipsy go off.

Apparently the leadcore was a workout for Bly...

DSC00952.jpg

I thought this would be another rescue outing when this guy washed his sails. I was late on the camara but he was over probably 75* two or three times before things were under control.

DSC00951.jpg

The happy couple.

DSC00943.jpg

Nice group shot.

DSC00947.jpg

Another look at Bly's big fish of the day.

DSC00940.jpg

-Brian

Slowpoke...I just wanted to say thanks very much! I had a wonderful time out there and catching fish was just a bonus. I have a new appreciation for how much work it is out there between setting up and manning the rods down to controlling the boat....it's not an easy task. You managed it with 6 rods and dealing with 2 newbies LOL :lol:

Really enjoyed the down rigger lessons and appreciate the time you took to show me the ropes.

Notes to self...no more napping on board when cameras are present and next time someone offers first fish, ask more questions...LOL. :lol:

Edited by bly

Bly, you're welcome in my boat anytime. CCMT on the other hand... well, I'll just spread my tackle all over the floor before you come aboard. Just kidding, I've dumped that box myself. I have to learn to close the lid, especially on that one.

It goes beyond luck for Cliff and Carole, in fact Carole picked the hot lure from her tackle. They ask the right questions at the right times, are very eager to learn and have such a passion for fishing that they get out probably more than anyone on this board. That kind of drive can only yield good results.

The test results are in: (inside joke for Carole)

Carole 4+ for biggest fish

Cliff 4

-Brian