Lakair report

bigfish1965

Okay I'm not sure how I'm going to format this post just yet cause I'm really tired, but I suppose I should do up sumthin!

First, I want to congradulate one member here who won the 32" HD television. I won't say who so as not to ruin the surprise, but I know it is a member who was at Lakair this weekend.

Anyway, I arrived Thursday afternoon. The drive up was quick, but also spent dodging the incredible number of deer alongside hiway 400/69. I guess the skeeters were driving them nuts. Even saw a mama and baby moose. Luckily they were not right beside the hiway like the deer were. Fun driving trying to guess what all these critters were about to do as they peered across the road like that.

Thursday I launched the boat and went around chatting to all those in attendance. The wind was quite strong and the approaching front was obvious. I headed out to pike bay for some walleye but the winds had picked up so much by then that trying to stay on a spot was not possible and i headed in empty handed. Friday I wanted to hit a few pike spots before the Saturday tourney and again the winds kept me from crossing over to my intended spot and ended up fishing beside Dawg in a smaller bay and having some pike chew the end off my brand new storm spinner bait on the third cast. That was a quick $7.49!

We headed over to Tombstone Island and Kevin made up a nice shore lunch out of the few fish that had been caught. The lack of pike caught was not boding well for the tourney. While we were out there, a warm front came through and the temps quickly soared from about 13 Degrees to over 25 in a matter of an hour and a half. Perhaps there was hope for Saturday after all.

Friday night was the regular drinking and chatting night and more and more members arrived at the camp. We all managed to get caught up on each others doings and what had been happening. I finally got to meet Carol and Cliff and they were every bit as nice as I had hoped. We headed out for some walleye fishing and we only managed one beteweeen us which was returned cause it was in the slot. But we did manage to test out different music to see what the fish preferred. Hands downt he winner was some celtic rock (we were listening to Sewven Nations)

Eventually most of the gang arrived and we turned the evening into a party (surprise, surprise).

Saturday morning most were up early and out trying to pin point a spot. Luckily for me douG's tourney partner forgot what time zone he was in and douG was in need of a ride. After signing up and posing for the annual group picture, we headed out for points unknown.

Our goal was pretty simple...find green cabbage weed and hope the fish is there. Our first spot revealed nothing greena nd water just a bit too warm. We headed for deeper water and began making would was supposed to be a grid-type pattern trolling to find fish. Not long into the new spot, we noticed green cabbage, baitfish on the sonar and finally douG gets into the first fish of the day!. We marked the spot on the GPS and began making progressively smaller cricles trolling around and through the spot. Each time we passed right over it...another fish! Sometimes we couldn't even finish getting the line out before we had the next one on. We started trolling about 20 ft behind the boat and going as fast as we could without wrecking the spinnerbait action (which was around 2.5 to 2.7 MPH).

We cranked the tunes and it really turned the fish on! Seven Nations was again the choice music for the day. Pike love celtic rock..who woulda thunk it ?!?

We tossed back lots of hammer handles as the fish kept getting bigger as time went on. I had my limit and so did douG so we headed back in. douG's net minding skillz have certainly improved over last year! Bless his heart.

We had to do fin clips to keep the fish records right cause they were all fairly close in size. We got extremely lucky to stumble on the spot and figured we had a nice live well of fish to take back in.

We got back and weighed in almost last. All my fish were the same size (26 inches).

I was pretty suprised to have the winning total since I saw a few fish that were bigger than mine. I also expected the area we were in to be packed with boats since it was certainly no secret. I think everyone else thought it would be busy too and headed to different waters.

I even manged to use my new C3 6501 I picked up from lew. What a smooth reel!

I had a great time and it was really needed. It was awsome to see everyone again and it was even better meeting those members for the first time. You don't need to spend lot of time at the GTG's to know why this place is so special.

I will keep the trophy well and displayed in the most innapropriate area I can find in the house.

Here's some pics...no particular order.

dawg.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

pike.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

island.jpg

Hey Rick!

It was a real pleasure for Bly and I to fish with you in your boat...thanks a lot for that! Congrats on the tourney win as well....thought you might like this pic of the trophy presentation.

ricktouneywinner.jpg

Great report and pics!!

How come you didn't show me that spot.... hmmfff.... It was great to give the trophy to you... I think it made Spiel cry!!!! LOL Ahh the stanley cup of fishing trophys.. rest in peace for another year!!