What are you paying for sat. TV service if I may ask? Definitly NF

Old Ironmaker

What do I expect to pay for the HD antenna? Is it true HD at 1080p? Can you get HBO on the antenna? I have been told no HBO, movie channels as well as most cable channels such as CNN, Nat Geo etc.

My wife is leaving if she looses HBO and her cable movie channels. I'm thinking I might get a base package then add on some cable channels and supplement the networks with the antenna, ABC,CBS, NBC, FOX, CBC and CTV. I need to get the calculator out.

Not able to stream here, not enough band width.

yes it will be a better picture quality than cable. cable/satellite compress the signal. so even if the broadcaster only broadcasts at 720p, the signal will not be compressed over antenna. 1080p/720p depends on what the station is broadcasting.

you will definately not get HBO. you would be limited to the networks. you're on the erie north shore correct? you will pick up whatever US networks are based out of buffalo and erie, pa. maybe cleveland? punch in your co-ordinates here. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

the cost will depend on how much power you need. you will likely want/need a decent roof/chimney mount.

as for streaming, i would look around at other options besides xplorenet. maybe talk to neighbours to see what they are doing. there may be a local company beaming wireless.

Edited by Raf

The only way I see to get what we want, not need, is to wait until one or the other have a deal for switching over or having the current carrier to match the introductory offer.

Another way is to get friends and relatives to go on one bill. I don't know how that works, I know they must know where the dishes are and most homes don't have 6 receivers, or do they? We have 2 for only the 2 of us, so maybe.

We have friends that share the cost 5 ways or more in several remote locations, how does that work? They must know they aren't in the same house.

I split up the quote a bit:

Point 1, they will most times do the price match stuff.

Point 2, Yeah you can have up to 6 receivers on 1 account and you ALL share the bill and the same channel pkg. The bill goes to one house under one name. Bell and Shaw have changed to One account for your home and ANOTHER account for the cottage/trailer. In the past they didn't care if you had 2 properties.

Point 3, the receiver cannot tell Bell or Shaw it's location unless it is plugged into an active phone jack. The phone jack sends the info back to the provider to say you are ordering an on demand or pay per view movie vs calling in to order it.

They get you one way or another if you want the service. We in Canada sure get the short end when it comes to communications!

100% blame the CRTC! They told all the carriers the new plans and packages and rates. Trust me I blamed them all the time because it's 100% true the CRTC screws the consumer on TV and cell phone plans. The home phone and internet plans are what they are.

You'll be up to 250 when the promotion runs out. I did the same deal when I switched from bell to rogers. Although they did upgrade me from the 60mbs to 100mbs and 320gb usage

we got the price guarenteed for 2 years and yes 100mbs and unlimited usage......in 2 years we will have fibe available and will switch back

we got the price guarenteed for 2 years and yes 100mbs and unlimited usage......in 2 years we will have fibe available and will switch back

LOL good luck with that, we had fibe at our place in oshawa, when we moved to whitby, we moved into the one little block where it isn't available, im talking right in the middle of town, not out in the country, its available 10 doors to the west, 15 doors east, 15 doors south, and 2 backyards to the north. so bell put us on satellite, and the highest speed internet available at our place, a whopping 5mb/s download speed. it was fine for about 8 months, then I switched to rogers, called to cancel with bell, they offerered to lower my rates, and said that we were schedualed to get fibe in the area by the fall. i said no thanks, and made the switch. 2 years later, fibe is still not available at our place.

just for sh!ts and giggles, i JUST checked availability on the bell site, still not available........

Edited by FloatnFly

Thanks for all the input all. If I wasn't confused before (a regular daily thing) I am now. It looks like we are paying the going rate for what we are getting. If I bundle with phone and internet I could save some money but swore we would never go with Bell internet again after receiving a bill for $1800.00 for a Demon Dialer charging LD rates from Sao Tome Africa getting into our landline about 16 years ago. Long story that was covered by The Hamilton Spectator and CBC news at the time. We weren't the only victims.

The plan is to relocate this coming spring so we will just stay with what we have for now and then reassess after we move.

1100 channels available and nothing on TV. I don't miss the days of having channels 1 through 13, and only 8 or so that was clear enough to watch, or do I?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

FloatnFly, that happens in a few areas. The switch (node) cannot take on any more so they use the old lines. My address in Lindsay was to have Fibe Aug 14 2015 yet I cannot get it today. They just started to do work this week to find the damage causing the delay. Oh and I have even seen areas in Brooklin (Winchester and Anderson) that there was NO SAT TV tech for installs on 4 roads in the area. It is what it is either a switch issue or a tech issue (tech being person or the software used to map areas of availability) that causes the problems... And that's not just with Bell.

IO, when you do move check the homes on your list as to what you can get at the home from the providers web sites. Oh and if you do cancel Bell but like it; have the Mrs make the new Bell account for the promo's. You will not retain a home phone number that way however...

IO, when you do move check the homes on your list as to what you can get at the home from the providers web sites. Oh and if you do cancel Bell but like it; have the Mrs make the new Bell account for the promo's. You will not retain a home phone number that way however...

Geoff, the day I don't buy a home because it doesn't meet my multi media needs is the day I run my noggin into a brick wall to give it a shake. Is connectivity that important today? I hope not, but can understand it is very important to many. I especially get it if working from home or remote from the office.

Geoff, the day I don't buy a home because it doesn't meet my multi media needs is the day I run my noggin into a brick wall to give it a shake. Is connectivity that important today? I hope not, but can understand it is very important to many. I especially get it if working from home or remote from the office.

What I mean JD is there are some areas that still do not have any form of internet and you are forced to use the cellular (turbo hub or stick) type that cost's a TON of money just to have it. I was just saying have a peek is all when shopping and well sign the Mrs up for the new account if you stay with Bell so there is all the new promo's vs you fighting to get a deal on what you have.

PS to all. If you call to cancel a home service contract before it's up (with Bell and the others should offer this too) and you tell them you have to cancel because you are leaving the service area (proof needed to an extent) or moving out of the Country for any reason the contract is null and void as they do not service the area you are moving to. Enjoy even if it's a bold faced lie...

Geoff, we all appreciate your inside info. I sure do. One of the things I love about OFC, many in the know that can share.

If anyone wants to know how to get the best Blast Furnace Slag B/A PM me. Who cares right? The Sky Dome was constructed with 100% of the Blast Furnace slag my guys made the formula for as the aggregate for the concrete they used and the other guys produced it. I guaranteed it would not never collapse, and signed off. You never know, the question could come up when you are on Jeopordy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

No land line now for a year, saving about 75 bucks per. That's a grand in a year. Better in our pocket than Ma Bell. At the end of our driveway is one of those brown Bell box connections. Only 1 person now is connected to it, it was once 8 cottages, that is until I accidentally run it over with my truck or boat trailer. They refuse to move it a few feet but spend the money to repair it when it is "accidentally" run over for the last 21 years. Talk about a waste of resources past onto the consumer.

Yeah 90 bucks is pretty well standard here and really all we watch is the news on CHCH and then sports but you need Sportsnet and TSN anymore more for that and they screw you over trying to get them on the cheap.

Dave you are an intelligent man, for Heavens sakes how can you stand watching CHCH news, especially in the morning. I think they start at 06:00 and go until 10:00, they say and show exactly what was said 15 minutes before then repeat over and over and over. How much weather can change in the area in 15 minutes? I want to throw a foam brick at the TV. I'm really interested in a salad recipe at 7AM. I will watch it, for 15 minutes then go to a news program. I never want to see anyone lose a job but I did cheer under my breath when they gave the boot to that woman of which I won't name who did the features every morning, she had to be on some very expensive Cocaine to be that excited about replacement windows from Home Depot at 6 o'clock on a Monday morning.

I recently listened to someone in the know on a AM talk show talk about the major cost to the TV providers, Bell, Shaw, Rodgers etc. The major cost associated is the Pro. teams with NFL football being number 1, MLB second to the NHL last and below NCAA Football and B Ball. The little old lady next door that doesn't have TSN, Sportsnet etc. is paying 60% or more of her monthly bill towards the cost that the providers pay to the big leagues for television rights. I can't remember exactly how much ABC paid for the rights to televise Monday Night Football. I know it wasn't in the Millions, it was over a Billion USD. That Billion dollars is passed on to every little old lady that pays the $35.00 or whatever it is a month for basic cable.

Dave you are an intelligent man, for Heavens sakes how can you stand watching CHCH news, especially in the morning. I think they start at 06:00 and go until 10:00, they say and show exactly what was said 15 minutes before then repeat over and over and over. How much weather can change in the area in 15 minutes? I want to throw a foam brick at the TV. I'm really interested in a salad recipe at 7AM. I will watch it, for 15 minutes then go to a news program.

I used to make the same argument, but as you say I am a smart man and if SWMBO wants to watch it, I keep my mouth shut, put my headphones on and catch the news on my laptop while she watches the tube.