Suggestions for day trip for Walleye 1 hour from Peterborough

buckhorn250

Hey Guys

I have a place on Upper Buckhorn, but looking to do a day trip with the boys. Looking for Walleye and Smallmouths an hour or so north of the Buckhorn\Peterborough area. Any suggestions for a good lake in the area?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

This is the perfect thread for me as I was going to post the same question as the OP !!

I'm on Upper Buckhorn as well and my father wants to do some walleye fishing. He was hoping to find a lake an hour or so north of Peterborough/Buckhorn that may give us some fun results for a day trip. We have found the Tri-Lakes/Lower Buckhorn area to simply have too much pressure and lousy walleye results.

We went to Selerno Lake (south west corner of Haliburton Highlands) on the weekend but got skunk'd. Hoping we may get a couple good suggestions of a lake that has a fairly good boat launch.

Thanks!

The problem is that most won't share one of those fragile smaller lakes that are in the Haliburtons. The best bet is to identify which lakes have walleye and then go and explore. You might have to go a little further than an hour from Peterborough.

The problem is that most won't share one of those fragile smaller lakes that are in the Haliburtons. The best bet is to identify which lakes have walleye and then go and explore. You might have to go a little further than an hour from Peterborough.

Yup. That is what I told my father as well. We tried Selerno because his neighbor spoke highly of it. We may have simply had a bad day.

We were fishing drop-offs along shortlines where the weeds ended it went quickly to approx 20ft. Not a single bite, not even bass. Then we worked around some rock shoals that where just sticking out of the water and had transitions to weeds and drop-offs ... again nothing. We finished off at one small section that had some shallow lilly pads and I have one large mouth smack my surface frog ... approx 2lb'r ... saw it swim away. :(

Edited by AdamW

This is the perfect thread for me as I was going to post the same question as the OP !!

I'm on Upper Buckhorn as well and my father wants to do some walleye fishing. He was hoping to find a lake an hour or so north of Peterborough/Buckhorn that may give us some fun results for a day trip. We have found the Tri-Lakes/Lower Buckhorn area to simply have too much pressure and lousy walleye results.

We went to Selerno Lake (south west corner of Haliburton Highlands) on the weekend but got skunk'd. Hoping we may get a couple good suggestions of a lake that has a fairly good boat launch.

Thanks!

Oddly enough, I was going to suggest selerno lake....

S.

Oddly enough, I was going to suggest selerno lake....

S.

That's funny. My fathers neighbor says he likes the lake. Obviously then we did something wrong.

We weren't on the lake 5 minutes and asked a family sitting on a dock where they had 2 little kids fishing .... your typical nice young family scene on the dock ... and asked if they had any fishing suggestions since it was our first time on the lake and the guy said "not much fish in this lake". LOL

I'm thinking we fished it like we fish the Trent Severn lakes which was a mistake. That is too much focus in shallower water and crankbaits along the top or along the sides of the weedbeds.

Edited by AdamW

That's funny. My fathers neighbor says he likes the lake. Obviously then we did something wrong.

We weren't on the lake 5 minutes and asked a family sitting on a dock where they had 2 little kids fishing .... your typical nice young family scene on the dock ... and asked if they had any fishing suggestions since it was our first time on the lake and the guy said "not much fish in this lake". LOL

I'm thinking we fished it like we fish the Trent Severn lakes which was a mistake. That is too much focus in shallower water and crankbaits along the top or along the sides of the weedbeds.

I have done well trolling worm harnesses off the weed edges/drop offs in there. Bottom bouncers in 15-20ft usually works now.

S.

Thirty years of fishing Haliburton Walleye, eat an early supper and fish until midnite.