Oil Change SCAMS

Mister G

I try to do all my own repairs and oil changes, getting older makes it tougher, but I still try.

I get more nervous when I have to bring a vehicle in with something I can't do, than when I get result from a medical test.

No disrespect to the licenced guys on this forum, just had way to many bad experiences over the years.

Oh, I also won a battle with a dealership in the 80's when I did my own oil changes and the release bearing went in my manual transmission. They didn't want to honour the warranty, because there was no record of oil changes with them. I just stood up to them and they honoured it, but what about the others that don't stand up to the dealer. This is what really gets me.

I also wish that Dan would move his business east of Toronto and into the Kawarthas!

Toyota has always been a great manufacturer. Dad had a early 70's Corolla, he drove it in and out of the plant everyday. If he was on nights I drove it to school, once it was in the driveway I drove it. I got it in grade 11 for a good price. When I git my own car my brother bought it, he sold it to the youngest brother a few years latter. We kicked the bejeezus out that thing, you just couldn't kill it. I looked at a new Tundra when I bought the Chevy 4x4. It was 20 grand more, that's a big chunk of change. I think they can afford to throw a few freebees in at the dealership.

We complain about the bad service guys. I highly recommend Mike, Tyson and the crew at CALEDONIA TIRE on Argyle St. in Caledonia Ont. 10 years now and I have never had a single issue with them. My wife's 07' Nissan Altima just turned 330,000 KMS. It runs and looks like a 2 year old car, they have serviced it since it since 08'.

I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop when dealing with shops. I have never done my own work. I leave it to the experts. Every time in the last 45 years of destroying nice vehicles in my experience it's "Pay me now, or pay me latter." It seemed I would find a good place and the next thing I knew I was getting the shaft, or a wire repaired on an alternator and they paint my old one and charge me for a rebuilt for only 1 example.

If you are in our area or south Hamilton give Caledonia Tire a try. I think they have a shuttle service now for Hamilton.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

There is saving money and there is foolhardiness. Not everyone that chooses to go their own general maintenance is a fool. My vehicles go in to our local shop at least 2 to 3 times per year either for an inspection or some work I won't mess with. I have no complaint paying someone for skills beyond my reach, but I enjoy doing my own basic maintenance and save some bucks as well. To each their own!

I got into the automotive trade in 1976, wrote my license in 1980 and started my own shop in 1983. I have customers that have been with me for 30 plus years; some are three generations of families. My senor employee has worked with me since 1987 and the junior guy stated with me in 2000; both started as my apprentices. We strive to know as many customers by their first name and treat their vehicles like they are our own.

We check the vehicle for the driver's complaint and do a general inspection. Quote out what the costs will be and then talk to the customer.

Set priorities as to what can wait and what should be done right away; we don't do the snatch and grab for the gravy jobs.

OK that's all the horn blowing I'll do; but if i had to screw people to make my living; I wouldn't be in this trade; I'd be a bank executive or someone like that. LOL

All I know is there are hundreds, no thousands of honest shops out there; it's up to you to find them. Ask friends, neighbors, co-workers who they deal with. A lot of small shops like myself cannot afford a big advertising budget and word of mouth is our media; it can build your business or kill it; so you respect your clients and what they think of you.

Yes I'm proud of my shop and its reputation; trying my best not to hurt either of them, is the key to loyal customers.

OK Off soap box now.

OH YEAH

To all the DIY people, power too you; but an oil change is more then pulling a drain plug and spinning a new filter on.

Checking basic safety related items need to be checked; things that laying on your back, wheels not suspended you cannot check.

You saved 30 bucks but you missed that tie rod that put your wife and kids into the ditch.

Sorry for this as well; I don't think I'll reply to any rebuttals to this post; I have to many memories of mechanical failures, that could have been easily avoided; that killed people.

Dan.

Right on the money!

We have a shop here in Lindsay, John's Quality Auto that seems to operate on the same principals. They have a wonderful reputation for being fair and honest. When we moved South of town last year I wanted a shop that was closer to home and after reading a lot of very positive reviews I decided to give them a try, they have earned their reputation!!!!!

Just one example:

I was busy with work so I asked Sue to take my Nissan in and have them give it a check over before I left on my fishing trip in June. I just wanted them to make sure there were no issues with belts, hoses.......When she went back to pick it up and asked for the bill they told her there were no problems and it was no charge!

There are some wonderful places out there, you can usually tell who they are, they don't need to advertise, they are always busy, and they seem to have a very low employee turn over.

Funny as a dealership tech how many cars come from shops that can't fix them after 17 years in aftermarket can say more than happy at a dealership not easy for sure spend more time rebuilding diffs repairing transmission issues and harder electrical issues than doing basic maintenance stuff but next time at a dealership observe the amount of people involved in just a simple lof advisers carjocky techs parts people tower operator that's a lot of people to pay.

Lucky for some of us DIY'rs it goes far beyond pulling the drain plug and filling the car back up :) This is one reason I never do topside oil changes with extractors. I like getting under there and making sure everything is in good order.