Five lakes in five days on the TOON completed

misfish

Although I have fished 7 lakes in 8 days, my goal was 5 in 5, Monday to Friday.

I was totally jacked to get this started. Most of my days off have been extra long weekends the past 10 years. This was my full Monday-Friday,week off, and was excited to get this 5/5 on. All 5 lakes were picked. A three of them were leads from a couple of member buddies and a work mate. The main fish was bass with some pike added in. I did not know what to expect from 3 of the lakes, I had not fished them before.

DAY 1

Up super early and coffee in hand and off I head. All the way north, the skies were dark. Ya I know, it,s dark in the early morning hours, but the cloud cover could be seen around 4:30 or so. Im told to look for a cut off on a dirt road, I wont miss it. Guess what, I missed it. Thankfully the road ended and I knew there was only one way to go. Back and keep my eyes peeled for this opening. I find this muddy path and can see just throw the trees a lake. Is this the spot? Park the truck and go for a walk. I was told there would be a hill, and it would be easy. I was assured, it would not be like Billy goat hill ( Bear Point ) Well it wasn't as steep, but it was a work out. Large rock drops and mud. Sure glad I made a dolly for the toon. Going down was ok, but the drag back up, well, I survived and lets leave it at that. Did I mention I forgot bug spray? I got eaten alive. They were so bad, I had to put on my waders and jacket. My head on the other hand, was a feast for them. They were huge. Even while typing this, Im starting to feel ever bite again . The lake water was BLACK. I have never seen a lake of this kind before. The agreement was,I tell you a lake, you figure it out. I have no problem with that. So I figured the only way to start figuring this lake would be to start with top water. That wasnt working, so go with a white senko. Hey got one. Think I got it figured. Not. Must of been sitting there where I casted. LOL Lots of lilly pads, so give the frog from dollar rama a go. You will see the results of this bait in my video. Did I say it started to rain just as I got there? Oh ya. 6 hours of fishing BLACK water had tested me to say, thank you, I except defeat.

Day 2

Knowing this days lake was in the same area, I figured it was going to be a BLACK water lake as well. So I was ready to tackle it on. I was told I couldnt miss the toon launch area here as well. Look for an area where a canoe can slip in. Canoe???????? I have a toon. I find the spot and It,s not that bad. A bit of work to get to the main channel, but made it. I had a fly rod with a leech pattern. Top water, spinner bait and wacky rig. The lake was like I thought it would, stained BLACK. Started with the fly rod . 15 minutes in I get a hit. Miss. Think ok, this might work. Continued on for another 1/2 hour with no results. Tuck the fly rod away and go to the hardware. This seems to be working. Sparingly, but working. Wacky worm for a bit and well, get a baby bass. Lots of hits on the worm, but nothing hooking up. I rowed and I flipped one legged, up one side of the lake, across and back down. This took about 7 hours or so. For the amount of time I was on this lake, I did not catch a lot of fish. That is not really important, although it would be nice, I was on a new lake learning and having my ass handed to me. LOL I fished so many prime spots, but all they offered were small bass and short strikes. ARE ALL NORTHERN BLACK WATER LAKES LIKE THIS?

DAY 3

With the high threat of thunder storms, I decided to play it safe and travel an hour to a lake I have fished before. If the storm came, I would be able to get back in, or at least, find shelter. I arrived super early. Dark time still. Put the toon in and sat there having my coffee and struck up a conversation with a couple of locals. One seemed to have some where to go, so was left with just the one for a half hour.This was not a BLACK water lake, but still stain water. I decided I was going to head towards the big lake, as I have fished the smaller lake enough to know, there was stunt bass and spinner bait destroying snoot rocket pike, plus there was an area I wanted to try. I thought it would hold some big pig bass. As soon as I could see my way, I was off. Thanked the local for the chat and wished him a long life.

DAY 4

BUST,BUST,BUST

AND I WILL LEAVE THE VIDEO TO EXPLAIN

DAY 5

This day was to be a lake I would have to terrain to. With once again, a high chance of thunder storms, I was rethinking what to to,where to go, while traveling up the hwy. I didnt want to get stuck in it and getting myself in trouble. I decided to play it smart and headed to a spot that I knew I could get off quick if needed . The lake I passed on, I will be heading there when stable weather gets here. I have heard nothing but good things about it, and it,s not stained water. LOL

When I got to "back up day 5 lake", I could smell relief in the air. I felt this over whelming surge go through my arms. Like popeye after popping a can of spinach, and gulping it down. Ready for battle. I really needed to shed some of that BLACK water curse. Clearer water and I knew I could fish it. On the water once again way to early, I stayed close to the shore line throwing my popper fly. Missed a few strikes. Once it was light enough, I ventured out. Spinner baits on the ready as they always are for this lake. I could see off in the distance, the storm was surrounding me, so I had the flipper and oars going to cover as much water as I could. Throwing those spinner baits every where. Over there, over there and here. Then it happened,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, WAIT FOR IT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So my recap of the 5 days.

I am not disappointed, not at all. I am very thankful to my buds for the tips, I went, I seen, I fished, I learned. I learned I cant fish BLACK water. YET. I will conquer this demon. I have another week in September. I will revisit a lake or two. Day 2 lake really had me intrigued. Also I was informed after my day, I should of had the finder hooked up on the toon. Lots of shoals. Might explain the fish jumping out in the middle of the lake. LOL

Im not the greatest story teller. I am sorry if you were not captured by the read. You needed to be there in person, to really enjoy the full experience. Wish I did all this when I was younger. Hind sight eh.

OOPS

Heres a vid from this morning using my home made crude popper

IT WORKS :Gonefishing::w00t::good::D

Sunday will be a sleep in day. Wake up around 5 am. :P:lol:

Edited by Misfish

I really enjoyed the read. You write very well, I felt like I was right beside you. Now when I opened the video and saw it was around 25 minutes long I passed. Take it for whatever that means. I did watch he Pooper video for a minute. I like to read rather than watch a fish being reeled in.

% lakes in 5 days, Wowza. Since buying on the waterfront I have only fished 5 lakes in the last 21 years. I need to get out more. Your quads must be the size of Oak tree trunks now with all that flipping.

I fished many black water lakes way back, had good luck, I liked black water and black Sambuca.

Nice work! Unfortunately didn't have time to watch all but caught some highlights. By the way...those el cheapo frogs...give em a squeeze and the water come out and they do float for a cast or two. Having said that, I have had hits on the frog when its sinking and I reel it in under water. My bigger issue is...I get hits on this frog but can never seem to hook fish well enough to land it.

Edited by Rizzo

I really enjoyed the read. You write very well, I felt like I was right beside you. Now when I opened the video and saw it was around 25 minutes long I passed. Take it for whatever that means. I did watch he Pooper video for a minute. I like to read rather than watch a fish being reeled in.

% lakes in 5 days, Wowza. Since buying on the waterfront I have only fished 5 lakes in the last 21 years. I need to get out more. Your quads must be the size of Oak tree trunks now with all that flipping.

I fished many black water lakes way back, had good luck, I liked black water and black Sambuca.

Dont say I never take advise

Now you can enjoy them one by one

Brian I hope you didn't take it as I think it's too long. For some it may not be long enough. I did watch it latter when I had more time, but skimmed through it. I do the same for most all videos and photos. I'm not sure what you mean about never taking advice.

Brian I hope you didn't take it as I think it's too long. For some it may not be long enough. I did watch it latter when I had more time, but skimmed through it. I do the same for most all videos and photos. I'm not sure what you mean about never taking advice.

No offence here.

Dont read into it. Just read in between it. LOL

I like this way better. :Gonefishing::D

I thought I posted on this? But I must not have hit reply lol

Great read Brian and I really enjoyed the video! I laughed out loud at the rap song!!!!

I've fished 3 lakes in a day with a 12 foot tinny and paddles, fun times! But that on cedar narrows road and it's full of lakes close together

This 5 lakes/5days thing was a great concept!

And I'll go against OI, the longer the video the more I enjoy!

Great report!