Senko's

Stoty

I was reading the "What is the 1st lure you are going to throw" thread, and everyone seems to be talking about these Gary Yamamoto Senko's.

Just what are these, and why are they so popular right now?

What makes them different from the other soft plastic worms/slug-go's out there?

Fill me in, because I am obviously out of the loop!

Your holding a brute like that and you didnt catch it on a senko. LOL

plastic stick bait. There are many names out there for it.Senko we call it wizzle worm at komanchi. LOL

You can rig it many ways.

Texas,carolina, wacky.

hahha, thanks.

I have a couple good patterns down for catching some nice LM, but am curious about these Senko's though.

what makes these so special? how are they different from the other stick baits on the market?

been around for a few years now, really popular everywhere it seems... it's a salted stick bait that you pretty much dead stick, as it falls the ends wiggle a bit... works really well when the bite is slow... so many different names, GY senko is the original... then you got yum dingers, tiki sticks, wizzle worms, etc...

The originals are pricey at $10. for a pack (of 8 ithink?), haven't bought any in a couple years, much more reqarding pouring my own and catching them!! lol

imo.... the only thing that beats the originals are the handpours... tho some do swear by the Yum dingers!!

www.tackleunderground.com will get you started... www.del-mart.com is one of the suppliers, you'll find the rest on the tacklunderground website... be warned tho, if you choose to start pouring you will become addicted lol

If you lived closer i'd make you up a couple packs for free to try out... sadly, the shipping charges are ridiculous and it would be cheaper to just buy them at a tackle shop instead... handpourers have the advantage of creating their own colours tho... think taht's where the addiction comes in lol

Thanks very much for the offer!

How much would shipping be from Niagara, to Pickering??

I wouldnt think it would be that much, considering its only 2 hrs apart.

I would be willing to pay for the baits, as long as they aren't $10/bag!! hahaha

I have been fishing them for ten years now, I got my boat (that I don't have any more) from one of yamamatos pros in Georgia. he gave me a couple of packs of them when I picked up the boat. I haven't had as much success with anything else.

They catch fish in any situation it seems. Crazy.

The attraction is not only the wiggle as they fall, which is really cool, but it is also the fact that they fall horizontally instead of vertically. Some other baits do this, but the senko type baits all fall the best this way.

I find the ones that aren't real senkos to be good though. I have been fishing tiki sticks with the same success as senkos for the last year. I buy them for 2.88/ per package at walmart in the US. I do keep a couple packs of the original around too though and fish with them too, just sparingly. The original Yamamatos are sort of fragile I find though, one or two fish and they are done. The other brands are a lot tougher and seem to catch more fish before you have to change the bait because it is destroyed.

They are a great bait and very versitile. Once you try them, you'll always have them handy...

Good luck!

I love them discovered them a couple years ago and it is my favorite bait,BPS had a sale on last year I think for Konami Baits same as a Senko I bought about 30 bags I didn`t dare tell the wife I spent 160 bucks plus tax on plastic worms LOL she might question my sanity.

They are very dense and this creates a slow fall almost always the bass will take it on the fall and hold on to it tight the only draw back of the Senko is it`s durability they tend to tear up after a few fish.

Use the ring Matt,It does prolong the leaving of the hook.LOL

Dang tirty bucks for dat :w00t::w00t:

Hey matt if yer around Saturday,I,ll be at the park around noon with a few of the other fellas from here.Big Brothers big sisters event.Stop by say howdy.

I use Yum Dingers - same action as a senko, but more durable.

I usually stick a small finishing nail in them to alter the fall speed. Sometimes a toothpick to make more bouyant. If you stick a finishing nail in the tail, at the other end away from the hook, they will sink away from the cast. Great for getting in under docks and such - Who needs a flying lure?

funny-the pros and tourney anglers know all about the cheaper clones and knock offs but they will always use the senko no matter what.Tells me something.

You lost me there darsky? I have used the stick bait from alot of different manufactures.

Back before they were well known as Senko's, they were usually referred to as Sluggo's.

I'm pretty sure the Sluggo brand was the first mass produced soft plastic jerkbait in true stick bait form.

Berkley then came out with their copy called the Power Slug. These outfished the Sluggo brand by far.

Why Berkley stopped producing them I don't know. My friends and I have only rarely found them in packs of 100 and we always scoop them up. If anyone has, or knows the whereabouts of, Power Slugs in black or red/black please let me know. They only work on the lakes I fish though so they won't be any good to you anyway. :whistling:

Hookset.