Fly tying knots, catching up and still learning

misfish

Just re rigged up my 5wt. Been a year since I threw the fly and I am still very much a novice. Oh I was gung ho back a couple of years ago, but kinda stepped back, but getting the itch again. I have learned to tie the blood knot, but have found the uni from fly line to leader , much faster and easier and holds well. Leader to tippit, I just loop to loop. As for the my main tie to the fly, I have found the Davey knot by far the quickest and easiest to do.

My question is, am I good with this set up for heavier fish, steel head or salmon ? Or do I want to step up my fly knot to a loop knot ? Or would a improved clinch knot be preferred? There are sooo many knots out there, I have youtubed myself to death, watching and tying soooo many knots. My pc table has so many cut offs.LOL

Oh btw, I wont be using the 5 wt for steel head, I,ll be using my heavy 9wt rod for that. Just throwing out the question on knots. Even your set up would be nice to hear about.

Edited by Misfish

Brian, I try to keep it simple but also tie for the fish I'm going after. A double surgeons for leader > tippet is fine for small resident fish where you using really light tippet (I find anyhow). I always use a clinch or improved clinch at the fly. If I'm going after big residents and tossing big streamers, I'll use a double UNI for leader > tippet and an improved clinch at the streamer.

one ofthe most recent episodes of uncut angling featured a fantastic loop knot that aaron tied for his wire when fly fishing pike. the knot is literally is just two overhand knots together...i started using it on my streamers a couple weeks ago and now im using it as my go to for everything...the ability to adjust the loop size easily is incredible and i have yet to have it fail whatsoever in over 40 hours of fishing (this included tying it on cranks for pike this past weekend)

my set up..backing -double uni - fly line with loop end - surgeons knot - leader - double uni - 6 inches of flurocarbon or knottable wire - double overhand loop knot (not even sure if its named?) - Fly

Edited by AKRISONER

Brian, I try to keep it simple but also tie for the fish I'm going after. A double surgeons for leader > tippet is fine for small resident fish where you using really light tippet (I find anyhow). I always use a clinch or improved clinch at the fly. If I'm going after big residents and tossing big streamers, I'll use a double UNI for leader > tippet and an improved clinch at the streamer.

Thanks Bill, I knew you would chime in.

I like the Davey knot as it,s quick to tie, but I know, or think I know, the larger flies should have some natural flow/wiggle to them. I could be wrong, but trial and error.

I have also been seeing more braid leader line posts, from main fly line. Maybe cuz the braid doesn't cut in the main line like mono. Interesting.

Edited by Misfish

fly line to leader, loop to loop connection is best. nail knot if you want to waste time lol

lead to tippet, surgeons knot, blood knotor an albright knot are all good
tippet to fly, for most applications i use the improved clinch. loop knots can be good for streamer fishing in lakes to add a little extra action

your 5wt is fine for resident trout, for steel and salmon i'd go with minimum 7wt, but prefer a nice 8wt

your knot setup is fine for anything really, long as you tie it properly. i love fly fishing fresh run chinooks in the fall with a streamer, never an issue with surgeons knots or improved clinch knots

ive had major issues not using loop knots to my flys...a large part of that may be because my casting is not perfected and I am gaining a bit too much line speed some times, but i have definitely broken cinch knots while casting...since i have switched to using the loop knot in the video above that allows you to really control the size of your loop, the problem has totally disappeared. The loop slows down the fly a little and allows it to flow more freely.

Fly line to leader is a loop to loop connection, with either a welded loop or a braided sleeve connector on the fly line. I'm liking the braided sleeve connector better as time goes on, they seem less prone to 'hinging' compared to a welded loop. Just make sure to get quality connectors and install them correctly.

Leader to tippet is a double surgeons loop. Simple and reliable.

Tippet to fly is usually a cinch knot, however I did loose a couple poppers last year when setting hooks on bass poppers so I'm looking for a better knot. Nothing like loosing a 1/2 hour of work to a bad knot.

Thinking back as well I did use the Seaguar Knot when tying up some pike leaders this last summer and thought it was a nice knot. Bit more involved than the surgeon's loop, but recommended for fluorocarbon to mono connections.

I am not a big fan of the loop knot. I find it to bulky. Yes, I tie my own, so maybe my fault. To big maybe. I also find it sinks, not float. Water gets in the main?

Like I said, always learning. I am set up for sunday. Goofing around. Going to just flap some casts and see if I like my new set up. I want to have it right when bass opens and then when the steel head season gets here.

Thanks guys for the reply's.

Thanks guys for all the input.

I was going to take a vid this morning of flicking the fly rod on the toon ( took a half hour from jigging for lakers and whities to see how it worked out ), but battery power was nil. :wallbash: I can say I am happy with my uni clinch knot on the main to leader, and my double uni from leader to tippit. Got away from the loop to loop. I was able to flick that line out with ease. Cant wait to get out with it again

• 2 weeks later...

Ok

Here,s the next thing.

Been watching the pros and cons of indicators.

Some say the splash of a floating indicator spooks the fish. Im trying to wrap my head around this as a spinner will do the same thing, yet the fish will attack it.

I see this indicator strike line. I think it,s pretty cool, but will take some time getting use to.

What do you prefer?

What are your pros and cons, thoughts on this ?

As always.

Thanks for your input.

B

Just a heads up. My next question will be, steel leader vs floro vs braid, for toothy critters.

i will use an indicator in slow water, where the water flow isn't fast enough to move my fly through the pool before it snags on bottom, other wise i just watch the line, if it jumps or moves in an unnatural way, pop the hook.

i like to use an integrated steel leader. https://www.rioproducts.com/products/leader/pike-musky-leader

also another knot suggestion

Brian, look into Euro or Czech nymphing, alternative to using strike indicators (Again depending on the situation).. I think you'll pick up euro nymphing pretty quick because of all the float fishing you do.

Brian, look into Euro or Czech nymphing, alternative to using strike indicators (Again depending on the situation).. I think you'll pick up euro nymphing pretty quick because of all the float fishing you do.

Hey Bill, this is where I got the colored indicator line from. Tip high and watch the line. Where to buy this locally? Wonder if I use my raven lines ( lines of many colors ) and uni them together, would it do the same Sunday I plan on heading out walking some streams.

i will use an indicator in slow water, where the water flow isn't fast enough to move my fly through the pool before it snags on bottom, other wise i just watch the line, if it jumps or moves in an unnatural way, pop the hook.

i like to use an integrated steel leader. https://www.rioproducts.com/products/leader/pike-musky-leader

also another knot suggestion

Thanks FF

I got so many knots in my head, I am getting knot crazy. Something about, keep it simple, keeps coming back to me. yet I still search. LOL

Thanks for the Rio product. Will grab a spool.