Seen any good movies lately?

Old Ironmaker

Manchester by the sea has to be the worst movie ever made. Hours of misery and depression. How he got an oscar for that is a mystery for the ages.

I always say Art must evoke an emotion from those the Artist is trying to reach. Depression and angst are not nice positive emotions most movies try and get from the audience like cute Disney flick. The actor pulled those emotions out of the audience, thus an award from his piers recognizing his Art.

I popped La La Land in at 9, I notice it is over and my wife is sound asleep, must have provoked an artistic emotion, like boredom.

From the 2017 Academy nominees that didn't win...Lion, Arrival, and Jackie are all movies well worth seeing. Hell or High Water also saw a nomination for Jeff Bridges...great movie and on Netflixs.

Edited by scuro2

Manchester by the sea has to be the worst movie ever made. Hours of misery and depression. How he got an oscar for that is a mystery for the ages.

I always say Art must evoke an emotion from those the Artist is trying to reach. Depression and angst are not nice positive emotions most movies try and get from the audience like cute Disney flick. The actor pulled those emotions out of the audience, thus an award from his piers recognizing his Art.

I popped La La Land in at 9, I notice it is over and my wife is sound asleep, must have provoked an artistic emotion, like boredom.

Let's face it the Oscars are a joke. There must have been lots of performances better than Affleck. He moped around for the whole movie.

I agree Ironmaker I thought the director and Affleck nailed it....anybody that has experienced trauma in their lives be it death or illness or perhaps a dying relationship surely can relate....

I was just going to post about Split that is out on DVD now. Just watched it last night. Yes James McEvoy's "beast" was a bit over the top I think. The real Beasts such as Jeffery Dahmer, Ted Bundy and Charles Manson don't seem to mirror the image that was portrayed in Split. Manson maybe. Makes for a more interesting movie I imagine. I dated a woman once that had multiple personality disorder, I swear, my friends called her Sybil.

Enjoyed this one quite a bit.........but was disappointed with the morphing of the real character into the "beast" at the end. Thought it should have been kept in the real world. Although it could have just been the portrayal of the main characters interpretation of the beast. Either way, i would have rather seen things stay in the human realm lol

And the very last scene of the movie went right over my head and really ended up ticking me off. I never saw the previous movie that it referenced

Enjoyed this one quite a bit.........but was disappointed with the morphing of the real character into the "beast" at the end. Thought it should have been kept in the real world. Although it could have just been the portrayal of the main characters interpretation of the beast. Either way, i would have rather seen things stay in the human realm lol

And the very last scene of the movie went right over my head and really ended up ticking me off. I never saw the previous movie that it referenced

Yes that's was the point I got disappointed as well. I hear what TomCat is saying about over the top. Just like in Boondock Saints when the Willem Defoe character had a nervous breakdown on the front lawn. Almost ruined the entire flick for me. I will watch it once and a while and stop it there.

I thought the same thing, I was waiting for something to happen then I realized the movie was over.