Uncommon Boat Brands

grimsbylander

There are a bunch a very popular multi-species boats used primarily in the midwest that I rarely see in Southern Ontario. I'm wondering if anyone on here has any direct experience with any of these. Boat brands such as Yar Craft, Tuffy, Warrior, Recon or War Eagle. Ranger and Lund still seem to be the most popular but these other boats get a lot of buyers. Any input? I wonder why they don't filter into Ontario with any consistency...we have very similar lake types.

For some reason people in Ontario are scared of fiberglass "walleye" style boats

I do a lot of fishing out of my brothers Skeeter WX1880 and I challenge any tin boat to even come close

I've fished out of a Tuffy and it was just as good as my brothers Skeeter

Dan

For some reason people in Ontario are scared of fiberglass "walleye" style boats

I do a lot of fishing out of my brothers Skeeter WX1880 and I challenge any tin boat to even come close

I've fished out of a Tuffy and it was just as good as my brothers Skeeter

Dan

That's exactly what I've noticed and yes, the large glass multi-species boats are fantastic. I'm actually considering going from a bassboat to one. The Ranger 620 or 621 would suit me well and that's why I'm asking about the other brands.

I took a peek at the warriors recently for snitz and giggles..........it was a short peek, well over $70 grand and some approaching $80,000 for a 208DC model

Better come with a cuddy cabin and a master bedroom for that kinda cash, cuz ima need a place to sleep and shelter from the rain

I would love to have a nice solid glass boat for here on Great Lakes. What a difference when you are in some chop both on the old back and for ease of mind compared to a Aluminum of the same size. My fuel budget however does not like the difference in consumption nor getting them on a trailer when beat at the end of a long day on the water. I'm sure there are tricks of the trade getting them on a trailer. I fished out of Dan Columby's glass Walleye/Musky/anything boat for Musky a few years back on the West Arm, I can't remember the brand of course. I would feel quite safe in almost any water with that beast under foot. I think they were bought out by Ranger or vise versa. Built like a tank and with 300 ponies strapped to the back it flew. It had a paint job that made it look like it was going 50MPH sitting on the trailer, what a pretty boat too. I'm having an Oldtimers moment. Not a Skeeter. TRITON, it's a Triton.

Very interesting boat brands, I can say I have never heard of any of them. There certainly is both a cultural as well as taste difference from Ontario and the rest of the country. I remember my 1st trip to Vancouver Island and saw copious amounts of Hard Apple Cider being consumed, more popular than a good old cold brown pop back then. I still don't get it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'd love a glass boat with nice high gunwales for Lake O and Gbay and the other big lakes. But we do way too much fishing on smaller lakes with really crappy launch ramps. I'd hate to scratch up a nice boat like that :)

I sold my 1880 last summer and your right, they're awesome boats, I bought it new in "09 and after 7 years there was never an issue. The ride quality in rough water is far superior to any tin boat I was ever in.

002_1.jpg

Would definitely recommend Deep V Skeeters to anyone.

Bill, buy more than 1 boat. A hobby over the winter and during in climate weather (Erie summer hurricanes) is to work for food(code word for free) at a buddies building where there are no less than 23 boats now. Just today we put a 14'er outside with a for sale sign on her. The chuckles today would to have a slip for everything from the 12' Duck boat to the 34 foot Grew and everything in between. Want to slow troll down the Grand on a nice evening take a 14'er, when there are 2 meter waves and the 444 tourney is on take the big Grew. Take my 19 footer for Bass along the lakeshore and 1 of a 1/2 dozen others all around the same size depending on what the target fish is or who wants to tube. So no self respecting fisherman only has 1 boat, right?

Please see classified post for 14' er for sale. Thanks Johnny D.

I sold my 1880 last summer and your right, they're awesome boats, I bought it new in "09 and after 7 years there was never an issue. The ride quality in rough water is far superior to any tin boat I was ever in.

002_1.jpg

Wow Lew, what an awesome looking shop you have there! I'm very envious!

002_1.jpg

Lew, last week I was in Minnesota and Wisconsin on business. I did the 4hr + drive from Minneapolis to Green Bay and saw 6 glass deep V being trailered...4 of them were Skeeters, the other two were Rangers. No doubt that Skeeter makes a good big water boat or those boys wouldn't run it.

My other option is to buy a 17-18 foot aluminum and keep my Ranger. That way I'd have a great winter boat when ice is an issue. Glass boats don't like ice.

Lew, last week I was in Minnesota and Wisconsin on business. I did the 4hr + drive from Minneapolis to Green Bay and saw 6 glass deep V being trailered...4 of them were Skeeters, the other two were Rangers. No doubt that Skeeter makes a good big water boat or those boys wouldn't run it.

My other option is to buy a 17-18 foot aluminum and keep my Ranger. That way I'd have a great winter boat when ice is an issue. Glass boats don't like ice.

I always hear that glass doesn't like ice, but on the east coast that's all they use in the ice.....and the saltwater. We don't get ice anything even remotely close to what they do there, and these guys swear by glass boats. My old man is out beating around the ice in a 19ft open tiller boat with a 40 yammy tiller, and says its the best boat for ice he's ever had.

My dads is similar to the 19ft open boat these guys make. I can't think of the brand name of his, but its very similar to these ones. Tough as nails.

http://www.seabreezeboats.ca/

S.