Freshwater Dolphins return to Finger Lakes

BlueEye

It works now but it's obviously an April fools prank....

'By Daniel Merrinho', 'Koffen-Phevre strain of the flu virus', and a number of other tidbits are kind of a give away.....

Dolphins and Finger lakes in the same sentence gave it away for me.

Had me going for a bit but after looking at the date, I realized what it was.

Though not dolphins, there used to be a population of seals at the eastern end of Lake Ontario.

"Harbour seals, called common seals in Europe or dotars in Newfoundland (the name I prefer), now survive mostly in small family groups. Originally they seem to have been more sociable and their colonies were scattered in bays, estuaries, and inlets from the Carolinas north into Arcitc regions. They also made themselves at home in fresh water. Prior to 1800 a colony actually lived in Lake Ontario, wintering below the great cataracts of the upper St. Lawrence River. What was probably the last member of this now-vanished band was killed at Cape Vincent on the south shore of the lake in 1824."

http://www.greyseal.net/ABOUT/history.htm

Jon

Though not dolphins, there used to be a population of seals at the eastern end of Lake Ontario.

"Harbour seals, called common seals in Europe or dotars in Newfoundland (the name I prefer), now survive mostly in small family groups. Originally they seem to have been more sociable and their colonies were scattered in bays, estuaries, and inlets from the Carolinas north into Arcitc regions. They also made themselves at home in fresh water. Prior to 1800 a colony actually lived in Lake Ontario, wintering below the great cataracts of the upper St. Lawrence River. What was probably the last member of this now-vanished band was killed at Cape Vincent on the south shore of the lake in 1824."

Jon

Perhaps a reintroduction will be in order if asian carp ever establish themselves in the lake.

Jon

that was slippery the seal, escaped from storybook gardens way back when ..lol