Perching on Simcoe

DanD

I'm back out on Simcoe again; same spot and it's like I'm on a different lake?

Four guys, eight lines down, five hours and only seven perch; none of them are to brag about.

But what a great day as far as the weather goes.

Dan.

Four guys, eight lines down, five hours and only seven perch; none of them are to brag about.

Dan.

Home from the lake Dan, and yes sir , what a great day. WEATHER wise. Got a bit of sun and it FEELS great. Got a few perch to add to the fryer.

Dan.

I find when you get these type of days the perch bite is usually short and early. I was out early today fishing 27FOW on the west side. Put my first perch in the bucket at 6:40 and my last perch at 9:40. and never got another keeper so I came off the ice at 11. I don't know if they move or just shut down on days like today but I've seen it over and over and over.

A little sweaty from walking in off the ice, so I had the AC on in the car for about half the drive home.. Can't say I've ever done that before in February.

Floyd Hales? Bizarre, they used to be an excellent outfit. I actually had a Hales bomber run a couple of feet off of our portable shack on his way out and again on the way in 2 years ago. We where way off of his trail, and hundreds of yards from Hales huts fishing a waypoint from the open water season. He actually had to go well out of his way to take a run at us. It shocked me and I assumed it was a one off from a dummy employee. Maybe not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think Floyd Hales is owned by him he sold out a long time ago to Ben vivereen or someone close to that name and I heard he sold to someone a couple of years ago.Right or wrong.

We stayed out until dark Saturday and back out Sunday a day break. We headed for home around noon with a count of 45 perch, all 10 inches or above. There were a lot of small guys being caught and the bite was very light; it was like fishing pickerel.

Got home and emptied the truck of the essentials and left the rest to clean up on Monday; being it was a holiday.

Monday morning my wife says to me where's the truck, in the driveway I answered; she says no its not! Sure enough somebody stole the truck and everything in it; snowmobile, portable 1500 watt generator, tool box filled to the rim, all my cold weather gear and the spare tire for the fish hut.

So now I sit and wait for the cops to hopefully find my truck and the rest of the stuff; like that's going to happen.

If they do find the truck, I hope the thieves have written it off. I've done a lot of theft recovery repairs and the vehicles are never the same after the beating they get.

2005 Chevy Avalanche (burnt orange), 1998 Ski-doo Touring 500 (green), 1500 watt Champion generator (yellow) less then one year old. The rest of the stuff was clothing and stuff that you would normally collect in a vehicle with 180K on it.

Dan

Nice to meet you Dan. I still think that hut is the cats meow. You had bad conditions the day I saw you out there for towing anything. Wet, sticky snow sucks. A set of skies the width of your ladders would make a big difference. I have access to all sorts of that nylon you have for runners, and I can get it the full width of your ladders....or full 4x8 sheets if you need it. I think it would make a big difference.

Crazy about your truck and gear. That REALLY sucks!!! Is the hut still out there? If you need a hand with anything, I plan to be out there this coming saturday, so just let me know if I can help at all.

S.

Nice to meet you Dan. I still think that hut is the cats meow. You had bad conditions the day I saw you out there for towing anything. Wet, sticky snow sucks. A set of skies the width of your ladders would make a big difference. I have access to all sorts of that nylon you have for runners, and I can get it the full width of your ladders....or full 4x8 sheets if you need it. I think it would make a big difference.

Crazy about your truck and gear. That REALLY sucks!!! Is the hut still out there? If you need a hand with anything, I plan to be out there this coming saturday, so just let me know if I can help at all.

S.

I did try with the skies on but couldn't get enough speed up to keep the skies on top the snow; so they just plowed there way through. My sled wasn't large enough to pull in those conditions; I gave up after I all but smoked the sleds drive belt.

I also have the equivalent of puck board, riveted to the runners of the latter skies; but there was/is to much drag from them being so wide. Going to change the design of the skies and make them more like tall skates. I'm hoping that the skates will be tall enough, to keep the hut above the snow and the skate to cut through the snow, down to the ice; like a large smitty sled?

The hut is back on shore now; a friend of Justin (Guy from bait shack) has a buddy with a 4X4 tracked side by side and it pulled it pretty good

It was too sloppy Sunday to pull the hut in; but Brian (4X4 Guy) was able to drag it in, early Monday morning; before the snow started its melt.

Still waiting for the insurance company to authorize a rental truck; once I have that, I'll make a run up there and collect the hut.

Thanks for the offer of help Sinker; but I should be OK, as long as the paper pushers get their act together?

Dan.

I did try with the skies on but couldn't get enough speed up to keep the skies on top the snow; so they just plowed there way through. My sled wasn't large enough to pull in those conditions; I gave up after I all but smoked the sleds drive belt.

I also have the equivalent of puck board, riveted to the runners of the latter skies; but there was/is to much drag from them being so wide. Going to change the design of the skies and make them more like tall skates. I'm hoping that the skates will be tall enough, to keep the hut above the snow and the skate to cut through the snow, down to the ice; like a large smitty sled?

The hut is back on shore now; a friend of Justin (Guy from bait shack) has a buddy with a 4X4 tracked side by side and it pulled it pretty good

It was too sloppy Sunday to pull the hut in; but Brian (4X4 Guy) was able to drag it in, early Monday morning; before the snow started its melt.

Still waiting for the insurance company to authorize a rental truck; once I have that, I'll make a run up there and collect the hut.

Thanks for the offer of help Sinker; but I should be OK, as long as the paper pushers get their act together?

Dan.

I looked at your skis. I think if the puck board was the width of the ladders it would work better.

For example, this weekend a buddy got his 16ft enclosed trailer and 1 ton dodge stuck. We unhooked the trailer and slid a 4" wide x 8ft strip of puck board under the trailer jack and turned it around by hand. It slid like butter.

The trick is to stay on top, not cut through snow. If your puckboard was as wide as the full width of the ladder i bet you could move it by hand.

S.

Thanks Cliff and Sinker for the offer and advice.

The insurance and Enterprise came through late yesterday afternoon. They gave me a 2017 Navigator to use, until my claim gets settled; that gas guzzling turd should be able to bring my hut home?

Your puck board theory sounds interesting Sinker. I have to build an new set anyway; thieves got my old ones as well.

Dan.