MNR Fish Online - Little Lake Barrie

Locnar

So, just to pass sometime I've been perusing the lakes on MNR Fish Online... I know Little Lake in Barrie is filled with hammer handles, and maybe some decent sized Pike... but I didn't know what else was in there, so I checked it out. The site says that there is Channel Catfish in there??? For some reason I highly doubt that. Any thoughts on that?

honestly, for the most part i wouldnt put catching pretty much anything past any lake at any time...little lake is a bit removed, but anything connected to the great lakes could pretty much have absolutely anything in them.

The family has caught some strange ones over the years by complete fluke.

https://www.reddit.com/r/barrie/comments/2dxom8/little_lake/

" Little lake is a great little lake for bass, pike, crappie and cat fish to name a few. you do have to know or want to fish heavy weeds and mats, here are a couple of clips of fish I've caught from little lake. "

Info seems sparse on what is actually in that lake, but why not channel cats? I have had incidental catches of cats in a lot of waters, but most of the time it requires actually targeting them?

The reason I have my doubts is that most lakes in the region do not have channel cats, and from what I've heard most of the channel cat fisheries in the Southern Ontario region are the big rivers connected to the great lakes. I've recently learned that Simcoe has a few Channels in her, but I don't think there is a solid connection between Little Lake and Simcoe... or any other waters with Channel Cats. But I do suppose it is possible to have them in there.

The lake has an inflow from Simcoe and out flow way way way down to the Notty. Thats a long trip for a channel cat to travel. I have only seen bull heads come out of that lake. There are plenty of them. I would have to say, there are no channel cats in that lake. There are huge carp, thats for sure. And if you are still and just sit there and watch, you will see monster snapping turtles. Never tangle your fingers or toes. :excl:

Edited by Misfish

I think all the fish species data is from old records, some records may be based "hearsay" or from old stocking records (it has Brook Trout listed under Little Lake in Midland for instance, which is a lake pretty similar to Little Lake Barrie without the Pike). The Broadscale Monitoring Bulletin(s) would be a better bet for getting an idea of what actually is in there/other lakes that are part of the monitoring.

I just checked a small lake in my area. The MNR site says there's rainbow trout in it? I really doubt there's trout in a small lake near where I live. The lake isnt connected to any rivers, and isnt very big.

Did you check the stocking tab to see if they're stocking rainbows?

If they did stock the lake in the past but don't anymore, they still list it as a present species. There's a few lakes I know, same deal, it hasn't been stocked in 10 years but they still claim the species is in there.

Maybe there is a few big, old remnants swimming around, lol.

I know a lake like that, people said they backed the truck up 10 feet short of the water and dumped a pile of rainbows on the ground smh.

That was the one time it was stocked like 20 years before but they are still listed as present.

Bet the pike loved them lol.