May 18 - June 3 at Little Vermilion

TennesseeGuy

One guy left Tennessee with me on May 16, we spent two nights in campgrounds and flew to Little Vermilion

May 18 in time to get in about 6 hours on the water. Whopper pretty much covered our first week and here's

the beginning of week 2. The Beaver arrives with the final load of our 7 man party

WesMay312007018.jpg

Seven year old Will at 46 pounds gets off the plane for his first ever fly in fishing trip

WesMay312007025.jpg

Will decided to try pike fishing off the dock while Dad and Granddad loaded their boat. Here's his first pike

WesMay312007026.jpg

Later Will was dressed and ready for some fishing from a boat.

May2007-finaldayincluded012.jpg

Ben, Wes and Will. Ben has been a regular in camp since his first trip when we celebrated his 8th birthday. May 2006

he and Wes chose Sportsman's Lodge for their H.S. Senior trip, thinking it a better choice than Aruba.

May2007-finaldayincluded002.jpg

Should Will's dad be in boat #01?

May2007-finaldayincluded007.jpg

Shore lunch at Table Rock found them short a walleye so Will threw his jig a few times from shore and added this walleye

to their meal.

WesMay312007068.jpg

Wes was working off the dock for a walleye or two when he decided to do a Dave Winfield and get a gull to move off the

water. The gull flew, the jig hit 3 fow and this baby bit. So much for technique.

WesMay312007050.jpg

We saw no sunshine the first 14 days, so when this baby showed, I snapped his photo in case I never saw the sun again.

May2007-finaldayincluded016.jpg

Here's my last drop of a jig at the end of day 16. Our weather had greatly improved and fishing was beginning to turn on.

We were in the mouth of Rathouse River and so were lots of walleyes and pike.

May2007-finaldayincluded028.jpg

I warned those in our party that we might come across some adversity by being in camp so early, and that's what we

encountered. One cabin was being completely remodeled and wasn't quite ready, water lines froze at night, the internet

didn't perform as expected, the septic tank backed up, the camp generator wasn't quite ready for May fishing, the ice maker

needed a part that had to find it's way from Winnipeg to LV, Brett (owner) intended to spend one day up north at an outpost

camp - but was weathered in for 3 days plus 3 nights, 2 guys were out in a dense fog after sundown and we had to go after

them. Only two employees were in camp and they were both new to the lake. All this didn't become a problem, just a

challenge for which we needed to come up with solutions. Every cabin had at least a couple of people who were repeat

customers and knew how to take care of themselves. It pays to go fishing with someone who has previously fished the

camp and lake.

We had good equipment, a dry cabin and plenty of wood for our stove. Fishing was decent and we weren't pulling a plow.

What more could we want?

I'm hurting to head back up yonder. I need more.

TG

Bang on Connie, I'm sure Will will be a repeat customer.

Sure miss the golden eyes, the ones we catch at Lake Erie might be bigger but don't compare in color.

We didn't have any ice, frozen pipes, only two employes in camp and Brett gone?

Uh didn't even notice. :thumbsup_anim:

Like I said before it's a special place.

Thanks for the rest of the story!

Whopper

That's awesome! as much as I wold love to go to a place like that, you'd have to give me some pretty good drugs to get me on that plane :P , and man can that little guy catch a fish, not a trip he'll ever forget! Good on his dad!!!

Maureen

Edited by motv8tr

For sure Will is a trooper.

Maureen a couple of drinkies would put you in the mood for a ride in the sky.

Sandy, the rain is continuing to come down. Lake levels are at a 50 year high. One of our best fishing days came during the heaviest rain when Highway 105 was washed out in a couple of places. On that day the wind was calm and the temperature was decent. Talk about not knowing enough to get in out of the rain - that was us.

Thanks for taking time to read my stuff.

Connie