Best place for a 15 amp extension cord? (NF!!)

GBW

Hey all.

So I'm getting a new toy based on Cliff checking out my snowblower and it's an electric unit that is a 15 amp model. Where is the best place to get the proper extension cord at a good price? Thanks in advance.

G

A hundred foot cord using 12 gauge wire will have a 4 volt drop at 120 volt Best choice. At a hundred feet a 14 gauge can be used but the voltage drop will be 7 volts which is the most loss you can safely have. Make sure the cord is rated (W) for outdoor use.

Art

A hundred foot cord using 12 gauge wire will have a 4 volt drop at 120 volt Best choice. At a hundred feet a 14 gauge can be used but the voltage drop will be 7 volts which is the most loss you can safely have. Make sure the cord is rated (W) for outdoor use.

Art

Thank you and I was not aware of that.

I got a 10 gauge cord from Costco a few years back. It was pretty reasonable.

Not a member there and I was going to guess a 10G was a 15 AMP based on Art's reply. As long as I get an "outdoor" use one I should be good then?

Not a member there and I was going to guess a 10G was a 15 AMP based on Art's reply. As long as I get an "outdoor" use one I should be good then?

I would check the gauge too. Many extension cords are 16 gauge, which may be too light for your needs. 10 gauge is probably overkill; 12 gauge would be good.

Most that I can find online at the "big guys stores" are 12 G so 13 AMP but as long as I don't burn out the unit or the cord I'll see if I can find me a 100' 10 or 12G one to be safe and not go down to a 14g at all. Cheers JB and Art!

Most that I can find online at the "big guys stores" are 12 G so 13 AMP but as long as I don't burn out the unit or the cord I'll see if I can find me a 100' 10 or 12G one to be safe and not go down to a 14g at all. Cheers JB and Art!

I have one of these I use out @ the cabin to run my power tools off the generator.

Not cheap but it works very well with even high draw tools like my saws or compressor.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-contractor-grade-extension-cord-12-3-0522319p.html#srp

Like Art alluded, it really depends on how long a cord you will need.

If it is less than 50', then get a 50 footer and so on. 12g

No additional amperage drop from unnecessary length or additional hassle from weight/storage/unwieldiness of too long a cord.

Cheers,

Mark

Go to osso electric in lindsay and buy it by the foot. Then just put your own ends on it. You want a good cord for that job.

Thanks and msg sent to them. Roads today are crazy bad so I'm NOT heading back out today...

The thing to keep in mind is a motor rated at 15 amps has a start up amp draw of 1.5 x 15 or 22.5 amps for a split second. So an appliance like a skill saw which is triggered frequently needs a larger cord than say a large light that is turned on and left on for extended periods. If you are running the SB on for the forward pass and then off while you drag it back for the next pass then it will need the cord to be heavier or if you are dogging it because the snow is wet and clumpy or frozen then the amp draw will go up as well. If you find you are tripping the breaker take it as a warning you are heating up not only the cord but the wires inside the wall. I find that the expense of a good extension cord is worth the cost. I did find a 10 gauge cold weather 100 ft cord while it cost me an arm and a leg it is 10 years old and can run any tool I want it to. The cold weather rating is made of a casing that stays flexible at colder temperatures.

https://www.amazon.com/US-Wire-99100-100-Foot-Extension/dp/B001KY03FC

To note I found this at amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/US-Wire-99100-100-Foot-Extension/dp/B001KY03FC

WOW what a price difference.

Art

If you find you are tripping the breaker take it as a warning you are heating up not only the cord but the wires inside the wall. I find that the expense of a good extension cord is worth the cost.

WOW what a price difference.

Yeah, some are a crazy cost! But if I pop a breaker then I know something has gone bunk and I need to review it. That I knew and my fear was that the plug would do more then just pop and or burn the cord up.

Thank you all for the info. I had to remind myself, 10 G is thicker wire then 12 G whereas #4 mono is thicker then #2... ;)

So I found a cord in the garage that is labeled outdoor use and 13 AMP. Think I'll be fine here?

Scrap that idea, I found the stamp and it's on a 16G line. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new one and based on price, Lowes Canada is the best so far.

I never want to underpower my tools so, I always opt for at least a 12 gauge.

The question is how long a run do you have? First from the panel to the outlet, then from the outlet to the end of the extension cord.

http://www.homedepot.com/c/factors_to_consider_when_choosing_extension_cords_HT_BG_EL

Cheers,

Mark

Personally I have no use for electric motors in anything I will be using outdoors that has wheels. i.e. snowblowers, lawnmowers, tillers etc. I hate having to fumble around with extension cords let alone the safety concerns. This holds specially true for snowblowers that can have to work real hard with wet heavy snow. Obviously it's your choice. I take it you don't have much area to blow.

Cheers

Not too much of an area to deal with as all I really need is a path to the garage to park the truck and to walk to the door. I'd only use this for the light stuff till it proves me otherwise. I have never been a fan also but with a bad back it's hard to move a 27" wide gas unit around with ease...

As for the run from the panel, 30' from it to the plug outside. Zero other items are on in that room unless I'm turning on the lights to go in there for some reason. The cord as you see is a 50' and for double the price I could have gone to a 12G 100' one.

See if someone with a Costco membership can help you. Think they still have the 50ft 12/3 cord for around $40?

I'd be more comfortable with 12/3 if I knew I was getting close to 15A

Think TSC had some heavier 12/3 ones when I was there but likely a bit more $

Edited by Spooled

This 'should' do the trick for $50?

If you only use a 50ft cord and check the temperature of the cord for the first few runs you might be all right. The starting and heavy loading of a snowblower makes me cautious on going lighter rather than heavier on the gauge The wire inside of your house is solid wire and it handles resistance better than stranded wire. Plugging in another 50 ft is not like using a 100 ft cord the plug connection has its own resistance to overcome. At my house I would return the 14 gauge cord and get a 12. It may be a moot issue but better to be safe than sorry.

Art

Thanks guys. I checked the costco web site as my dad has a card and I can get him to order it BUT sadly nothing online came back other than 100' unit. He's going to have a look next time he's Peterborough going to costco to pick up his pills. I did check and the 50' will cover my whole driveway. Next decent weather day I'm going to add another outlet to the inside of the garage close to the door so I can use that. I know there would be zero other items drawing power as that is all new lines on a new breaker too.

Thanks guys. I checked the costco web site as my dad has a card and I can get him to order it BUT sadly nothing online came back other than 100' unit. He's going to have a look next time he's Peterborough going to costco to pick up his pills. I did check and the 50' will cover my whole driveway. Next decent weather day I'm going to add another outlet to the inside of the garage close to the door so I can use that. I know there would be zero other items drawing power as that is all new lines on a new breaker too.

CT has this 12 gauge 50 footer on @ 45% off this week.

$46 here in Yellowknife. Cheaper down there. ;)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-contractor-grade-power-block-cord-12-3-0522321p.html#srp