Coyote or wolf track ?

lew

Happy Holidays All--cool thread--excellent question--no don't have an answer yet but--a dear and valued member of our community here a full field Aurora Conservation Officer with the Initials DP--identified such a --off the record professional opinion - i had--they probably had O.F.A.H vet it-lol

Got to respect that

Answer--neighbours guest dog-lol

Have a Kool Yule All

Yours in conservation

PDK

That's pretty far south for a purebred wolf, even Algonquin Park wolves are a mix of Gray Wolf, Eastern Wolf and Coyote. I understand most of the southern Ontario coyotes have a bunch of Red Wolf genes in them they picked up on their eastward expansion through the midwest. I'd hazard to guess anything south of the French Mattawa river line is pretty much a Heinz 57 , maybe favouring one set of characteristics over the other.

I'm not sure the location would be the limiting factor. 25 years ago I had a "wolf" tracing my steps along a path towards me in an area not all that far from Barrie. Not a agricultural area. I owned a purebred male male sheppard at the time and this thing dwafted it. Frankly, it froze me in my tracks. I was 5 miles from the nearest road in the middle of a wetland and carrying a recurve. When it walked, it's head hung low and swung back and forth. At about 12 yards I came up with the bow and it saw the movement...it made two leaps and was GONE! Two things I still remember... how massive the head looked as it approached and it's length as it leap to my right. Who knows but I still remember every detail of that animal.

I'm not sure the location would be the limiting factor. 25 years ago I had a "wolf" tracing my steps along a path towards me in an area not all that far from Barrie. Not a agricultural area. I owned a purebred male male sheppard at the time and this thing dwafted it. Frankly, it froze me in my tracks. I was 5 miles from the nearest road in the middle of a wetland and carrying a recurve. When it walked, it's head hung low and swung back and forth. At about 12 yards I came up with the bow and it saw the movement...it made two leaps and was GONE! Two things I still remember... how massive the head looked as it approached and it's length as it leap to my right. Who knows but I still remember every detail of that animal.

Gnarly!

Not sure if you remember my story I shared on here?

But ice fishing I was cornered by incredibly deceptive pack of timberwolves.

It was amazing! And incredibly scary as well.

I was ice fishing with my kids on RR.

I was parked about 400 yards away up a hill.

Bout 330pm there was a lone wolf that appeared 100 yards west on the point. Howling away. No worries. Abit later 2 wolves howling.

Well dark is coming and I had to haul up the smitty by hand. So I gave the kids the keys and told them in the vehicle and sit put. Turned out a good call.

I unloaded one smitty and headed back down for more gear. Now its dark and those wolves are still howling. I get our stuff and notice the 2 wolves are gone. Now im a lil nervous and head up as quick as possible.

I get the gear to the vehicle, load it in.

I turn on the vehicle and my headlights reveal 6 wolves not 15ft from my vehicle in some brush!

Amazing plan of ambush? Or coincidence?

Not sure but if it was a plan or not but to me, its seemed an effective way to gather and surround us!

They never made a move though thankfully, and im sure glad nobody got out to pee or something

Those were some huge wolves!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

Gnarly!

Not sure if you remember my story I shared on here?

But ice fishing I was cornered by incredibly deceptive pack of timberwolves.

It was amazing! And incredibly scary as well.

I was ice fishing with my kids on RR.

I was parked about 400 yards away up a hill.

Bout 330pm there was a lone wolf that appeared 100 yards west on the point. Howling away. No worries. Abit later 2 wolves howling.

Well dark is coming and I had to haul up the smitty by hand. So I gave the kids the keys and told them in the vehicle and sit put. Turned out a good call.

I unloaded one smitty and headed back down for more gear. Now its dark and those wolves are still howling. I get our stuff and notice the 2 wolves are gone. Now im a lil nervous and head up as quick as possible.

I get the gear to the vehicle, load it in.

I turn on the vehicle and my headlights reveal 6 wolves not 15ft from my vehicle in some brush!

Amazing plan of ambush? Or coincidence?

Not sure but if it was a plan or not but to me, its seemed an effective way to gather and surround us!

They never made a move though thankfully, and im sure glad nobody got out to pee or something

Those were some huge wolves!!!

Read White Fang by Jack London, an old classic I read as a kid. The beginning makes wolves out to be smart and able to trap their prey.

Read White Fang by Jack London, an old classic I read as a kid. The beginning makes wolves out to be smart and able to trap their prey.

Thats one of my favourite books(a childhood memory)

They are amazingly smart! Ive watched them hunt a deer on open ice and it was incredible what they did(at least do me)

Forced it near open water where one leg eventually fell in. Then 3 wolves reamained taunting it from the front, 2 snuck off and came back from behind.

One grabbed the upper thigh, the other the kneck.

It was over in 5 mins or so

Edited by manitoubass2

I have no doubt there are large wolves in the Barrie area and around Lew's place as well.

Several years ago, I was bow hunting in Mt.Albert, just N/E of Newmarket ON.

I was in a tree stand about 15 feet off the ground.

A large doe runs out into the field and followed the edge of the bush, which made a zigzag around me.

She was winded and obviously being chased. She disappeared into a small gully, where a tiny stream ran out from the bush and into the field.

About 4 or 5 min. later, in the same corner of the field where the deer first appeared, I see three wolves pop out and stop and looking at each like they were having a conversation. One was about the size of a large German Sheppard, but the colours of a Husky. Two were all black and twice the size of the Sheppard sized wolf. Absolutely HUGE !!!

Amazing to watch them formulate a plan to trap the doe. One wolf doubled back to cut off the deer as it tried to circle around back into the bush. The other two followed it to push it towards the third wolf.

I walk through the forest in the dark all the time while hunting. Either going in at morning, or coming out in the evening. I don't give it a second thought, but I've never been as nervous as I was that day and it was daylight on my short walk back to my truck. Made as much noise as possible. Talking out loud, coughing and banging tree trunks as I walked quickly towards my vehicle.

I've seen moose as far south as Bradford, ONT. Yes, I know the difference between a moose and a horse. Definitely moose.There were bears spotted in Milton, Burlington and Newmarket, very recently as well.

Timber wolves are something else. Most people have no idea how large those suckers are until they stand beside one. Manitou, it's sounds like quite the experience, one that I wouldn't want.

It was awewome man!(only because there was no attack obviously)

I dont see alot of timberwolves as im basically in norther MN, but ive seen maybe 3 packs or so and they are ginormous! Id guess 160lbs or so but with that thick coat they look well into the 200s

An unarmed man would stand zero chance surviving

Thats cool Carp! Amazingly calculating animals. Cool you got to watch from above!!!

Edited by manitoubass2