Chance of musky survival if it breaks the line with lure?

Tjames09

Hooked a large musky the other day and got it to the boat and it decided to go for a good run under the boat, behind the boat, under the motor and around it. Couldnt control the direction of the fish, and the line got caught on the prop and broke (80lb line). It was a good size spinner and was wondering what the chance of its survival is? These musky hooks probably never rust out, and probably dont fall out on their own. Could the fish live with a large hook and lure in its mouth? Felt pretty bad when it happened.

Unless they're saltwater hooks, they actually rust out fairly quick. If it was a bass style spinner it's likely in the corner of it's mouth, shouldn't be a problem for it. I've caught a pike with a weedless hook in it's mouth and it didn't stop it from eating my bait.

It was a musky spinner. A Vibrax inline double hook.

I thought the hooks rusting out thing was a myth?

TJAMES two times in the last year ive hooked into a pike or a bass on a 5 inch spook. Had both trebles hooked into the fishes face to the extent that one broke my line and another courtesy of a shotty knot job broke off...subsequently i watched the fish then resurface minutes later jump out of the water with the spook stuck in its face...and then subsequently jump again some minutes later...this time the spook flying out of the fishes face. I then trolled over and retrieved my lure.

I wouldnt be too concerned if it was just a spinner without big trebles. The rate the fish hooks rust is astonishing. I recently found a crankbait in the pads that couldnt have been in the water more than a week judging by its cleanliness and the hooks literally disintegrated upon contact.

Where do you guys get the "the rate the fish hooks rust is astonishing" facts? I don't think they rust out that quickly. I've found many lures underwater from previous seasons with hooks still intact. Depends on the hook and gauge.

I've often wondered what happens to fish with lures stuck in their faces. There's info and a few studies available online. The most likely scenario probably is that it will shake or shed the hook somehow before it rusts. I've toiled over a few lost fish before, feeling guilty I may be the cause of it's demise. But apparently fish are good at ridding hooks. And if not, good chance it will still be able to eat. Don't worry about it!

Where do you guys get the "the rate the fish hooks rust is astonishing" facts? I don't think they rust out that quickly. I've found many lures underwater from previous seasons with hooks still intact. Depends on the hook and gauge.

I've often wondered what happens to fish with lures stuck in their faces. There's info and a few studies available online. The most likely scenario probably is that it will shake or shed the hook somehow before it rusts. I've toiled over a few lost fish before, feeling guilty I may be the cause of it's demise. But apparently fish are good at ridding hooks. And if not, good chance it will still be able to eat. Don't worry about it!

You are correct!

Obviously there is a few variables.

But that hook is NOT rusting out before a fish shakes it.

Even northland jigs will last a long time and their hooks suck. I think they are gammies but I could be wrong?

Just outta curiosity I grab some hooks and river water and see how long before they disintegrate. My guess is 4 years

Edited by manitoubass2

I cant remember where but i did read a study where fish that were even deeply hooked managed to shake the hooks pretty quickly. if hooked deep, the fish would have a better chance surviving with a deep hooked lure than if you had removed it.

Just food for thought.

With the amount of time I have been bitten off along with others, there would be a ton of floating muskie if it were a serious issue. It's never nice, but they seem to survive. Hooking in the gills is a different story, but not much you can do about that. Years ago we used to pinch all of our barbs down, that was also beneficial if you happened to get a hook in your hand.

Use this as an opportunity to review your landing procedure and setup, and see where you might lessen the chances of a repeat.

We all learn through experience. Your emotion and your concern for the fishes well-being speak well of you and the success of all future encounters.

Cheers,

Mark

Use this as an opportunity to review your landing procedure and setup, and see where you might lessen the chances of a repeat.

We all learn through experience. Your emotion and your concern for the fishes well-being speak well of you and the success of all future encounters.

Cheers,

Mark

Ya absolutely. He reeled to the boat quickly but wasn't tired. And when he was at the side of the boat took a dive under the boat and went out the back and then to the side wrapping the line around the motor. I tried to control my rod tip to avoid it but I'm in a little boat at the back. It definetly happened really quickly. I will be much more aware of that possibility in the future.

If it was a huge issue, then lakes in the Haliburton Highlands would be full of dead, floating musky. I would venture to guess that most musky up here are hooked by folks fishing for bass/walleye. Lots of them - including fish that I lose - break off with cranks, topwater, spinners, jerkbaits in their mouths. Of the hundred or so musky that I have caught over the past few years, I haven't caught one with a lure in it's mouth.

while fishing for smallies with a Berkley warpig, i had one break me off. i was wondering the exact same thing. Felt bad knowing it would be swimming around with that thing stuck in its mouth. Few mins later, 10' from the boat, she jumps wildly out of the water, shaking and twisting, and successfully shaking the warpig clear. I could hear it rattle the whole time...and heard the rattle and "plop" as the lure landed a few feet away. i was happy to see that they could actually shake out and free themselves of a lure. never seen that before.

I've wondered how much today's alloys and higher quality metals in fish hooks makes a difference? I've caught a few pike in the kawarthas with nice shiny jig heads embedded in their mouths. No way to tell how long they have been there. But they healed over nice, and didn't seem to affect the pike very much....

Spinner bait, with one hook, or even a stinger, would be much easier in most cases then a big crankbait with 3 7/0s, as cranks are usually hit on the front hook, and the remaining 2 usually impart further down the fish ie gill plate, body, or worse still the gill rakers

The chance of survival IMO would be much better with a spinner bait even with a plated or salt water hook, as it will be in the mouth and shouldnt prevent the fish from not been able to continue on with her daily routine, check your prop and seal especially if you were trolling and allowed the line to wrap around the prop a few times

With one exception, every muskie I hooked was lost, and as I recall all with lures of various sizes, steel leaders didn't seem to help me, the one I landed was small, 3-5 pounds on bass tackle with no steel leader.

I have seen a couple of pike struggling with bluegill - perch they took the wrong way and had them stuck in their throat, none with a lure though.