Take note of this and help fight this IT IS VERY VERY BAD!!!

BITEME

I think people need to spread out a bit and then you wouldn't need the billions to travel them around on one tiny little part of the country

I think you would need even more billions so that people could travel around a large part of the country.

Edited by JohnBacon

The amount paid for resources to the government is too small to begin with.. if we can get a case of 24 plastic bottles of water for less than 2 bucks after bottling and transportation is factored in, then Nestlé isn't paying enough for it. Regulations should be tightened up for all who have water permits..

42.4percent of income goes to taxes now. How much more would you suggest

Spread out a bit does not mean more infrastructure

Every community now has its schools sewage. Food stores. They just need billions in highways to get away from each other

Takes me almost 5 minutes to get to work or grocery shopping

Why spend billions to get to an office tower in a polluted city

42.4percent of income goes to taxes now. How much more would you suggest

Spread out a bit does not mean more infrastructure

Every community now has its schools sewage. Food stores. They just need billions in highways to get away from each other

Takes me almost 5 minutes to get to work or grocery shopping

Why spend billions to get to an office tower in a polluted city

If we were to spread out more we would need a bunch of new towns with new schools, new sewage treatment plants, new schools, new hospitals, and new roads. That will cost more than adding some transit to an existing city.

I realize you can't run a government like a corporation, but they should still be expected to maximize the value of any resources that are extracted.

I'd go a step further and say it should all go into a fund that is dispersed to us. After all, those resources are 1/36,286,378 mine (and yours).

Edited by Dutch01

I guess people just like living together so it is what it is....but...something I really noticed flying over half the country last week... You see all these new subdivisions in the gta and every one has a school. They really stand out because of the running tracks each one has. Then there are the golf courses and sewage plants etc. For any given number of people you need the same number of chhools, hospitals. It's just a matter of you choose to live next to people and conveniences or close to outdoor activity possibilities. And people also drink water. Bottled or tap it still gets drank so if you put the price up for bottled you have to put the price up for tap as well. And for industry.

I realize you can't run a government like a corporation, but they should still be expected to maximize the value of any resources that are extracted.

I'd go a step further and say it should all go into a fund that is dispersed to us. After all, those resources are 1/36,286,378 mine (and yours).

In the end the people pay it all. Companies don't pay they just pass the cost to the end user

A bottle deposit would certainly help get rid of the waste created by the bottles..

To me, the bottles are a far bigger concern than the water in them (be it pure water or soda or whatever) and I think you're right that a deposit would help get them into the recycling stream.. I'm not really a fan of more rules or regulations but in this case, maybe it would be an idea. I don't think we should model our province after BC in most cases but they have a deposit on all containers that seems pretty effective. One of the challenges that comes with it however is people raiding blue boxes in search of bottles on garbage day. Apparently some of them get a little territorial and some dump the boxes on people's lawns and leave a mess to be cleaned up. The US does very, very little to attempt to recycle plastic containers which is a huge problem given the amount they consume, it would be nice to see them step up the efforts a bit too.

Actually the US has a very aggressive recycle program. You must sort your trash into garbage, paper, plastic and the trash companies take it and dump/ recycle. If you hand carry to the dump again you must sort it out. We also have deposits on bottles and cans depending on where you live. We still have room to improve and it is slowly heading towards being greener here. The bulk of the metals are also turned in for scrap and with the prices high and many locations it has become for some a way to make a living.

Art

I found the Ontario water taking permit map quite fascinating so I did a little more researching on it at work today (during my break of course...). Ironically, here are some of the tidbits that I found and it really is quite startling:

• there are 36 permits for taking ground water within a 5 km radius of the Nestle plant in Aberfoyle
  • all permits on the list are issued to corporations, farms, or golf courses, none are municipal water supplies ( I presume they are all are using the water for profit).
  • the Nestle plant holds the 8th largest permitted volume of the 36 at 3.6 million LPD not the biggest one as many of us thought.
  • the 7 Larger permits total 105 million LPD which is 29 times the amount permitted to Nestle.

This is why I suggested previously that the Wellington Water Watchers have some sort of vendetta against Nestle since they have been after them for 10 years or more with little mention of any other companies. If they were truly concerned about pillaging of the resource for profit, should they not be concerned about the other user as well? I hate to let facts get in the way of the current media hysteria but if we're going on a witch hunt for water pirates let's go after the biggest users too not just the ones you don't like. The other thing to consider is how many jobs are affected by closing down any of these operations if that's the chosen route. I would think that Nestle's 300 jobs for 3.6 million liters would trump the employment numbers of say a golf course using the same amount of water. Maybe all these corporations need to pay their share and everybody would win...

https://www.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/map-permits-take-water

Actually the US has a very aggressive recycle program. You must sort your trash into garbage, paper, plastic and the trash companies take it and dump/ recycle. If you hand carry to the dump again you must sort it out. We also have deposits on bottles and cans depending on where you live. We still have room to improve and it is slowly heading towards being greener here. The bulk of the metals are also turned in for scrap and with the prices high and many locations it has become for some a way to make a living.

Art

Glad to know that some areas are getting a little more proactive...hopefully that trend continues.

that must be regional Art.

my cousins live in Texas and they have one big black garbage can that everything goes into.

I am sure it is I have been Up North in Canada and recycle is unheard of at the many small dumps. I have been bear watching in a sea of plastic and other things that could have been recycled if there was money in it somehow. It is not a nation thing it is a human thing pigs have no borders.

Art

Nestle has multiple wells in Wellington and maybe (?) dufferin county in addition to aberfoyle. I know they have one near hillsburgh.

That is correct, there are 3. You can look them up on the map or search them by name at the link provided. The other two are much smaller than their aberfoyle well. The one you are speaking of is in Erin township and is permitted for 1.1 million LPD. .The other one is near Aberfoyle and permitted at 600,000 lpd.

Edited by G.mech

I found the Ontario water taking permit map quite fascinating so I did a little more researching on it at work today (during my break of course...). Ironically, here are some of the tidbits that I found and it really is quite startling:

• there are 36 permits for taking ground water within a 5 km radius of the Nestle plant in Aberfoyle
  • all permits on the list are issued to corporations, farms, or golf courses, none are municipal water supplies ( I presume they are all are using the water for profit).
  • the Nestle plant holds the 8th largest permitted volume of the 36 at 3.6 million LPD not the biggest one as many of us thought.
  • the 7 Larger permits total 105 million LPD which is 29 times the amount permitted to Nestle.

This is why I suggested previously that the Wellington Water Watchers have some sort of vendetta against Nestle since they have been after them for 10 years or more with little mention of any other companies. If they were truly concerned about pillaging of the resource for profit, should they not be concerned about the other user as well? I hate to let facts get in the way of the current media hysteria but if we're going on a witch hunt for water pirates let's go after the biggest users too not just the ones you don't like. The other thing to consider is how many jobs are affected by closing down any of these operations if that's the chosen route. I would think that Nestle's 300 jobs for 3.6 million liters would trump the employment numbers of say a golf course using the same amount of water. Maybe all these corporations need to pay their share and everybody would win...

https://www.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/map-permits-take-water

I'm not surprised that Nestle isn't #1 on the water demand list, but I am shocked at how much water CBM and Capitol Paving are allowed to take for aggregate washing. The golf course up the road does have permits to take a lot of water, but it's only about half as much (totalling three separate wells) as Nestle.

To be frank, I agree that there must be some sort of "hidden agenda" here or conspiracy against Nestle. But for the average person it's pretty easy to look at bottled water and think how wasteful this is on so many resources (energy, petroleum, transportation, etc.) when clean, potable water is freely available in every home. I think, if nothing else, that is the agenda.