Painting boat aluminum

captpierre

Messed up at the lock in Bobcageon and scratched the front black keel of the Lund at the top.

Is bare rough aluminum now.

Can I just get black gloss automotive paint or do I need an aluminum primer first?

Better sand it smooth first as well.

My advice use a good self etching primer. It has acid in it to make a good bond and contact and will prevent the paint from bubbling and peeling in a year. I wouldn't bother trying to get a spray can of paint matched by your paint code 9 times out of 10 it will be off and it will be about $40 bucks a can. Just match it up as close as you can at Napa or Crappy Trash.

My advice use a good self etching primer. It has acid in it to make a good bond and contact and will prevent the paint from bubbling and peeling in a year. I wouldn't bother trying to get a spray can of paint matched by your paint code 9 times out of 10 it will be off and it will be about $40 bucks a can. Just match it up as close as you can at Napa or Crappy Trash.

Korber is correct.

Buy the best etching primer. Paint choice (Napa/CT) - that's up to you. If the boat is less than 3 years old I would opt for the factory paint.

Napa,Car quest, part source will be your best bet for a self etch primer. If you are in the Cambridge area I can hook you up.

Paints with self etch in them are ok but I would recommend the two step process just makes for a nicer finish and it will last longer.

If you need a new frying pan or vacuum cleaner go to Crappola Tyre. For paint go to a paint dealer that sells automotive paint. Etching primer is a must for a good solid job that won't peel and make a bigger job down the line. I and the back yard autobody guy didn't know my wife's Nissan Altima's hood was all aluminum. He didn't use the correct materials. The paint started peeling after a few months. It cost me extra goof tax because it had to be sanded down to the bare aluminum to be painted with the correct materials including an etching primer. Good luck.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Related post. Im painting my aluminum boat (its bare metal), and I bought the self etching primer rust oleum. I also bought roll on tremclad oil based paint (which appears to be the canadian version of rust oluem products). I just need to find a clear coat for it but not sure what clear coat to put on top. Any one have any luck doing this process?

Tjames09. I wouldn't use that oil based paint. Go out but a single stage spray paint (90% of spray paints are single stage) this means they have clear coat in the paint. The job will look better and last longer. Make sure you give the boat a good coating of self etch primers. likely two coats.

Tjames09. I wouldn't use that oil based paint. Go out but a single stage spray paint (90% of spray paints are single stage) this means they have clear coat in the paint. The job will look better and last longer. Make sure you give the boat a good coating of self etch primers. likely two coats.

why is the oil based paint no good? its for metal. I would figure water based paint would be no good for a boat.

The foremost reason I wouldn't use it is because it will look like crap in the end. The oil based paint can also react funny with the primer and or aluminum. 99% of paints now are water based and there is a reason for it, besides VOC and such, the finished product looks better and is easier to use. Its your boat and you can use it if you like, I am sure I will work and will be fine for a while. I am the type of guy that likes to one and done a job.

I'll be painting my 14' Lund soon. Just the red part on the upper part of the sides. I had 2 body shops give me an estimate to do the total job. Sanding, prep, primer & paint. $1200.00! & $850.00. Rather pricey for an older boat. I checked the link supplied by aplumma to find the paint code for my year of boat & the original Lund red/burgundy. Where will I purchase Lund paint? How many spray cans will I need? It's approximately 45 square feet. I have some experience with sanding vehicles, I have the appropriate tools such as compressor, DA sander. Today I will be sanding & painting new metal fenders I recently installed. Thanx for your help

I'll be painting my 14' Lund soon. Just the red part on the upper part of the sides. I had 2 body shops give me an estimate to do the total job. Sanding, prep, primer & paint. $1200.00! & $850.00. Rather pricey for an older boat. I checked the link supplied by aplumma to find the paint code for my year of boat & the original Lund red/burgundy. Where will I purchase Lund paint? How many spray cans will I need? It's approximately 45 square feet. I have some experience with sanding vehicles, I have the appropriate tools such as compressor, DA sander. Today I will be sanding & painting new metal fenders I recently installed. Thanx for your help

If you already have an air compressor; I wouldn't be bothering with rattle cans.

Get yourself an HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) paint gun; they're inexpensive at Princess Auto and even though they're cheep guns; for the occasional painter they work quite well.

I painted my fish hut with mine last winter and it came out pretty good; only a couple of runs and that was me getting tired and slowed down with my paint sweeps.

IMG_0763.JPG

This is the gun I bought; it goes for around 220 bucks; but I use it for some larger projects and I hate refilling the can. LOL

0450071.jpg

For smaller jobs I would pick up one of these gravity feeds; they go for around 60 bucks.

A couple of practice shots with the gun and you'll be painting like a pro; well almost. LOL

Dan.

8528523.jpg

Edited by DanD

Yea that's the hut.

Going to change the axle this fall.

On the road the frame will be 18 -20" off the road. On the ice it'll have its frame down flat against.

Only was able to use the hut once last winter. It was great to fish out of; other then being 20" off the ice. A couple of winches, a few pivots for the leaf springs; some welding and it'll be laying flat on the ice. LOL

SORRY BACK ON TOPIC.

If you can do a decent paint job with a rattle can; an HVLP is a breeze with much better results.

If you get a run, let it set and go back after and lay the paint to it. Once dried, wet sand and buff; runs gone and you'll have a great shine.

Dan