Speck/laker Report : Lake 1, Lake 2

Rod Caster

Fishing quality for speckled trout and lake trout (and splake) can be very good in my area of Northern Ontario, near North Bay. However, what used to be pristine, fish-packed natural lakes are now put-and-take fisheries that generally need tending by the MNR every year. It's actually poorly managed and without their continuing intervention, we'd have a ridiculous number of unproductive lakes that probably could have been saved at the first onset of stress. We had some acid rain issues in the 70s, and I dont completely know the scale of damage it created, but overfishing and management surely affected the lakes immensely. Essentially, I (and others) believe that the lakes have been miss-managed and now we are left with trout ponds in lakes that should be brimming with Laker or Specks. If you are willing to work for it, you can find good numbers of natural fish, but lakes with any kind of access are generally stocked with hybrids or 5-year cycle fish.

Travel across the river to Quebec: Same type of lakes, same glacial scour, same original species and no stocking. Naturals, and fairly easy access to them. Large, near-town, camp-riddled lakes have both lakers and speckles in very catchable numbers. .. What the hell. What country is this? This lake is provincially managed ..? Where are the splake, where are the huge numbers of dink perch that took over the lake?

Anyway, I like my region, and I plan on finding the hidden gems, but honestly, its not even comparable, yet in the end the waters are the same waters, so something went wrong on our side and something is very right on the other side.

100_0002_zpsjkuuu6am.jpg

On to the day. JoeyT and I.

100_0006_zpsend6utfo.jpg

Lake 1 : Specks and nothing specks. The limit is ten each but we self-regulate at 8 for the two of us and I go barbless. Within a couple hours we meet our target, all 12-14 hungry and unshy fish. Four fish each and we are out of there.

100_0010_zpsrtjgvvhi.jpg

100_0011_zpsul9s1qq5.jpg

Lake 2 : Several kms away, Lakers and Specks all in one beautiful spot. We use a hybrid technique of trolling near shore, in 10-30 FOW, casting at log jams and catching whatever bites first. We get 4 more specks (a bit bigger) and 5 or 6 lakers, but none big enough to keep (22 min).

100_0014_zpsosaznfm6.jpg

100_0022_zpsnfvfhy58.jpg

There are very few types of fishing I enjoy more than spring Laker and Speck fishing.

100_0023_zpsifxbeiuz.jpg

Oh and baby #2 has arrived! M.I.L is helping for a week so I have a bit of a free pass, but after that, it's probably gonna hard to get out fishing very often.

IMG_20160516_092306_zps83nbx3l1.jpg

Edited by Rod Caster