Trolling motor battery

Hedfish

I am looking for a group 24 battery for my kayak. AGM I think. Which brands/stores do you guys recommend?

I seem to remember some bad stuff was said about the Canadian Tire batteries but maybe I am just imagining things. :)

I have nothing bad to say about the CT batteries.

I run them on my boat. ;)

However if you have the $$$$ a LiOn battery would be the way to go.

Much lighter but a lot more $$$.

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/lithium-marine-batteries.php

Wow! Half the weight for quadruple the price! Certainly looks like a nice battery but my wife will most likely burn my kayak if I buy a battery like that! :)

There are only a few different battery manufacturers, they just re-brand them. I've used deep cylces from Costco, Walmart, and C-Tire and if you take care of them, they are all pretty good.

AGMs are nice because they are sealed and you don't need to check electrolyte levels. AGMs also come in 2 versions, Standard and Pure Lead. The pure lead versions supposed to last 2x longer than standard AGMs. Standard AGMs supposed to last 2x as long as flooded. According to the marketing material..

For my TM, I'm using 2 grp 29 EverStart Maxx (Walmart's top of the line flooded marine) and they really last and have gobs of power. I can't recall exactly but I think they were under $150 each.

I just got a new magna charge 31 series deep cycle. Its my second one like it. The other one has 4 seasons on it and still works good, but it doesnt have juice like it onxe did.

I generally run my batteries until they are almost dead. I do a lot of slow trolling eyes, so my batteries dont last as long as most peoples, but i have had other batts that didnt make 4 seasons..

All uou can do is charge them after each use with a quality charger and replace when needed. I cant justify the price of an agm battery when i know i am going to kill it just as fast as a flooded cell.

S.

I have learned Johnson Controls manufacture 85% of all batteries sold here. Each battery has a maximum number of charges to full from below 20%, thus the difference in prices from cheap to expensive. Like Dave said don't let the battery go below 50%.

This is why I have two 27 series and alternate between the two.

Edit: just realized this post is about a kayak.. my bad.

Edited by hsousa

I get on average 6 hours out of one.. what are the benefits to hooking them up parallel?

12v 50# minnkota powerdrive v2

The biggest advantage is you will be able to run all day without drawing them down below that magical 50% threshold, thus extending the overall life of your batteries.

The biggest advantage is you will be able to run all day without drawing them down below that magical 50% threshold, thus extending the overall life of your batteries.

I get that, but have always heard that you shouldn't mix 2 different batteries. One of them is a couple of months older than the other. One is a costco brand the other a Mercury brand.

I run mine to the ground often. They don't last more than 3-4 years tops. I killed a Kirkland in 3 seasons, but I run em until the motor stops. It's all the slow trolling. I just put a walmart GR31 up front, I doubt it will make it past 4 years. I could probably do better, but sometimes I come in real late and forget to charge for a few days etc. I just resigned myself to buying a new one every few years. I've had em all, from costco to Canadian tire. If you beat on em their all the same!

So where do you guys buy your batteries? I heard CT, Costco, Walmart. Any other stores? Do Bass Pro and Sail sell them? AGM batteries in particular (I am thinking about AGM to avoid the risk of acid spillage associated with the "regular" flooded batteries). Yep, it's for my kayak.

So where do you guys buy your batteries? I heard CT, Costco, Walmart. Any other stores? Do Bass Pro and Sail sell them? AGM batteries in particular (I am thinking about AGM to avoid the risk of acid spillage associated with the "regular" flooded batteries). Yep, it's for my kayak.

Save your money and don't buy the Bass Pro Shops brand batteries.

Costco 27 deep cycle = $100

BPS 27 deep cycle (non agm) = almost $200

I run mine to the ground often. They don't last more than 3-4 years tops. I killed a Kirkland in 3 seasons, but I run em until the motor stops. It's all the slow trolling. I just put a walmart GR31 up front, I doubt it will make it past 4 years. I could probably do better, but sometimes I come in real late and forget to charge for a few days etc. I just resigned myself to buying a new one every few years. I've had em all, from costco to Canadian tire. If you beat on em their all the same!

Yes, this ^

If your just positioning your boat to cast or work shorlines etc....a battery will last a long time. Im willing to bet that the guys who say they are getting more than 5 years out of a battery have never run them down, and don't fish nearly as much as I do, because I have been burning up batteries for a long time, and there is no way to make them last longer than what they do, the way I use them. Running them flat every time kills them, period.

I get mine from my local battery shop. Kawartha Battery in Peterborough. I don't even care to shop around for a price, because its a small family run business, and, well, they are just great people, so I prefer to support them rather than some CEO of costco.....just my choice.

I paid $175 all in for a 31 series deep cycle.

S.

Edited by Sinker

This topic comes.up all the time. My choice is battery's made by east Penn battery.

Trade names die hard. Powersurge deka carquest.

Just changed out my dp27 cranking battery lasted 10 years

As for the deep cycles 27 series in my boat trolling motor goes all day burned.out a motorguide and 2 Minn kot as before requiring.new battery's.

Purchased dp27 in 2007 replaced.in 2015

My buddy recently bought a new Interstate battery at Advantage Trailer on Clifford st. in Smithville. (Niagara area). $94.00 for the same Interstate I have. I paid $165.00 at CTC. Also trailer parts & accessories his prices can't be beat. 5:30 - 12 trailer tire & rim $50.00. The same tire/rim at CTC $72.00 when they are on sale! Spare hub including races, bearings & grease seal $18.00.