Wabigoon Crappie with Roloff

limeyangler

Hi all,

The crappie fishing here this winter has been STELLAR. The jury is still out on how it will effect the fishery overall, but for the moment I will take advantage of great action right off the lawn, after all they aint going anywhere anytime soon. We have also had a walleye slot limit applied to wabigoon, nothing between 18" - 23" and only one over (lol...fat chance).

Anyway....here is a video from the other day, still 18" of ice here, but the weather forecast means it wont be long before its not safe out there, give it about a week at this rate.

Crappie are anywhere between 20 and 35 feet deep, I prefer the shallower depths as you can throw back the small ones, cant do that in 30'FOW.

This debate is huge on GB as well, but instead of with crappies, its with the round gobies.

People argue that the fish population is going to be decimated by them.

I am sure there is some type of fish that is suffering but we have had the best walleye, pike, bass fishing that we have ever had in the 10 years I have been in the Pointe Au Baril area.

We also have full on evidence from this past fall of watching schools of smallmouth bass in 2 feet of water in a feeding frenzy. We were confused thinking that the shiners were all out in the open deep water. Then I proceeded to drag a jig along bottom and snag a gobie...question answered.

If there is one plus side, at least you can eat yours!

Edited by AKRISONER

This debate is huge on GB as well, but instead of with crappies, its with the round gobies.

People argue that the fish population is going to be decimated by them.

I am sure there is some type of fish that is suffering but we have had the best walleye, pike, bass fishing that we have ever had in the 10 years I have been in the Pointe Au Baril area.

We also have full on evidence from this past fall of watching schools of smallmouth bass in 2 feet of water in a feeding frenzy. We were confused thinking that the shiners were all out in the open deep water. Then I proceeded to drag a jig along bottom and snag a gobie...question answered.

If there is one plus side, at least you can eat yours!

But steamed gobies are delicious!

Hi all,

The crappie fishing here this winter has been STELLAR. The jury is still out on how it will effect the fishery overall, but for the moment I will take advantage of great action right off the lawn, after all they aint going anywhere anytime soon. We have also had a walleye slot limit applied to wabigoon, nothing between 18" - 23" and only one over (lol...fat chance).

Anyway....here is a video from the other day, still 18" of ice here, but the weather forecast means it wont be long before its not safe out there, give it about a week at this rate.

Crappie are anywhere between 20 and 35 feet deep, I prefer the shallower depths as you can throw back the small ones, cant do that in 30'FOW.

A middle of April ice report. Great crappie fishing. Nice!

I wish Simon. Looks like Roloff has a good friend there. No matter how many times you post him running, Im still amazed how much he loves it. What a great fishing partner to have. I wonder if I can get Terry to do that? LMAO.

Oh wait, he owns the yamadoo, not me. Guess Im the one doing the running. :w00t: NOT. :rofl2: