Need advice on purchase of this Impact Driver

huzzsaba

http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-md-c3-192-volt-cordless-impact-driver-kit-with-led-light-17338/609-000437871-17338

This is on Sale at Sears close to me but since I have used mainly hand tools for work on my car, I have little experience buying power tools and Impact drivers.

Can I use this for suspension work on on my car? Mainly to loosen suspension bolts and do seasonal tire changes? Is there an adapter that converts the head to be able to use with 3/8 sockets and 1/2 inch sockets?

I did a quick search on Google and it seems people use Impact drivers for cars but unsure if its recommended.

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

I have only used a couple of the electric impacts recently but they were not this model.
They are surprisingly strong. Although I still prefer air powered these do have their place.
Adapters are available but when going from a half inch drive down to 3/8" you should expect something to break.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I saw it but wasn't sure so I didn't pick it up. For those interested, the one in the link posted above is at sears or erin mills town centre for $99.99 and it comes with 2 batteries.

I am checking Canadian tire website for some cheap corded impact wrenches and I can't seem to find the ones that I usually see on sale at the store on the website.

I will check the stores tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks :) .

if you are going cordless stay away from ni-cad batteries which the one in link is ....spend the money and get 20 volt lithium-ion and also consider a brushless motor as well....canadian tire carries rockwell and dewalt.....tsc carries milwaukee....all good brands

Other than air, a Corded impact wrench is the way to go for working on cars,

Don't buy the 4.5 amp light duty stuff, anything 7 amps and up is good,

I picked up a 8.5 amp Mastercraft Maximum impact wrench from CT for $69 last year on sale, regular price $229,

They always go on sale if you not in a hurry.

if you are going cordless stay away from ni-cad batteries which the one in link is ....spend the money and get 20 volt lithium-ion and also consider a brushless motor as well....canadian tire carries rockwell and dewalt.....tsc carries milwaukee....all good brands

Thanks for the advice. I think for now I will go with the corded one. I will keep in mind what you mentioned when shopping for cordless.

Other than air, a Corded impact wrench is the way to go for working on cars,

Don't buy the 4.5 amp light duty stuff, anything 7 amps and up is good,

I picked up a 8.5 amp Mastercraft Maximum impact wrench from CT for $69 last year on sale, regular price $229,

They always go on sale if you not in a hurry.

I think that is the one I saw a few months ago, and beating myself up now for not getting it :wallbash::) . I have my friend's impact that I will borrow until I find those on sale again.

This is what you want for auto work: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-nb-impact-wrench-0542099p.html#.Vwwf9_krJhE

Be advised they still aren't as powerful as a good air powered impact gun.

Now, to compare to your posted unit (I have assembled my cabin with one similar).

It is the best thing since sliced bread for driving screws and tightening up lag bolts etc.

This unit that is on sale at CT right now is what I have. I also have a couple of spare drills that I purchased when they were on sale. They were only $20 more than the cost of a battery alone and thus more cost effective since you get a spare drill and spare charger.

I actually have 3 drills, 1 impact gun with 4 batteries and chargers that only cost me about $300

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-20v-max-lithium-ion-drill-impact-driver-combo-kit-0543188p.0543188.html?&icid=Flipp-Thu%25202016-04-07%2520to%2520Thu%25202016-04-14%2520-%2520315/115%2520+%2520weekend%2520wrap-X1A3T3#.Vwwgd_krJhE

Look at the tool being rated in foot lbs not inch lbs. 1500 inch lbs is 125 foot lbs which is weak when you are going against corroded bolts. Another word to look for is single or double anvil which is the mass and impact ability of the drive. I use a 750 ft lb double impact to remove stubborn bolts and sometimes that is not enough and takes quite a bit of effort.

Art

I use an air impact kit and compressor for working on my vehicles, but... my Milwaukee impact driver can remove the lug nuts on my SUV, which is torqued to 85 ft lbs. I've been pretty impressed with it, but no way would I go for a cordless impact driver for auto use. My neighbor uses a corded cheapy from Canadian Tire and it works great, smart move to wait for that one to go on sale!