Substitution for Minn Kota MKR-18 12V Plugs?

Raycaster

Been looking ahead to install my Minn Kota Terrova 80 24V and besides scrolling thru pages and pages of the arguments of 8 or 6 gauge wire I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of connectors beside the MKR-18 that can only handle 8 gauge without another adapter.

Lots of complaints that the MKR-18 are junky and cheap plastic, just wondering if someone came to a better solution. Not going into the whole 10 - 8 - 6 - 4 gauge argument, probably just go 6 and do it properly once even if it is overkill.

In all the forum feedback the only agreeable fact everyone states is that the connectors always end up being the weak link, either not waterproof, or cracking -rusting or cheap terminal screws etc.

I have Anderson connectors at the battery side already, maybe the same for the TM side?

Suggestions, links, pics are welcome.

I had trouble with mine too and installed the Marinco twist lock plug and have not had any issues since. FWIW I used 6 Ga wire which is overkill for the 24V motor but whatever.....

The ones I had trouble with were called 'Rig Rite' and I had two complete meltdowns...

http://www.marinco.com/en/12vcps2

Edited by G.mech

First off, I used 6awg for my install and used the MKr-18 plug and MKR-18a adapter.

Just for clarification, the plug itself is good up to 8awg. The adapter is only needed for 6awg.

Now, I haven't had a single issue with my minnkota plug. It's been on the boat for 3 years now. Secondly, I purchased the Minnkota plug because I wanted everything to be from the same company as it was designed to work together. I had to order mine in because my local shop had heard of issues with them and was only stocking the Marinco ones. I was adamant that I wanted the MK one so he ordered it in. To my surprise, the MK one is actually stanped Marinco on the side. The only difference is the prongs are closer together. Both are the twist lock style.

Now, there are cheaper options. The ones for motorguide are cheaper but they are a true plug in where you have a little more security with the twist lock system.

Basspro sells the ones for motorguide but after just looking them up, they aren't much cheaper than the MKR-18 as they sell both pieces (plug and receptacle) separate where as the mkr-18 comes with both pieces.

I just finished installing a MKR-18 on my boat. They are indeed made by Marinco, seems like a decent product. Since the cable extension was less than 5' from my trolling motor to the battery, it only called for 8G wire so that's what I used. No 6G adapter needed. Here's the link to the MK chart for what gauge cable to use.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=3273

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete