How often should you repack the wheel bearings

RickOnt

I always run bearing buddies but I would have to say that at the start of the season I always repacked all the bearings on my trailers and if I did a lot of miles and then just take off the dust cap and do a visual to see if water is an issue or needs more grease.

Whenever you do the service- DO IT! I thought I was pretty good wither regular maintenance until a blown bearing ruined a trip home, terrible PITA.

Did not do mine at end of last season, fished until mid December, but parts are on their way and will do both axles this spring- oil bath hubs.

Bearing buddies are not repacking. I have bearing buddies but the bearings still need to be repacked. Just not sure how often

Fisherman's process of yearly is likely the best But is that overkill?

I do run bearing buddies on my trailer. I also remove, inspect & repack the bearings every spring. Just did it today. My tires were well worn so I purchased 2 new 5:30 -12" tires & rims for my boat trailer. Awesome pricing at Advantage trailer in Smithville. 2 new tires & rims 50 bux each! New spare 4 bolt pattern hub includes inner, outer bearings, races, grease seal, cotter pin & dust cap $18.95. Cheap insurance. Set of bearings $8.95. Includes inner & outer bearings, grease seal, 2 races. Awesome pricing!

I always run bearing buddies but I would have to say that at the start of the season I always repacked all the bearings on my trailers and if I did a lot of miles and then just take off the dust cap and do a visual to see if water is an issue or needs more grease.

Yep.

Mine has not been repacked for 2 years So that's another item on the to do list

Next question trailer has 5 seasons on it Should I replace all bearings and races?

Where is a good place to purchase bearings?

I inspect mine annually. If i dont see any issues i leave them alone. No need to fix whats not broken.

Biggest problem i see is guys pumping grease to their bearings thru bearing buddies and blowing the seals. Then you have problems.

If grease isnt leaking out, water isnt getting in, and bearings are fine.

How often do you change wheel bearings in your vehicle? Some go hundreds of thousands on km with no service at all.

S.

check them constantly during the year and when on the road just a hand check to the rim for temp, but with the availability of a 2o$ infrared temp gun could be a handy tool.

spring time I elevate and spin trailer wheels to listen for noisy bearings then pack as required.

on road its always looking behind rim for grease spray from faulty seal and temp of wheel

For what it's worth, during the year I'll give a feel around the hubs for heat every now and again (ie, when I think of it) when I get home from a trip. Doesn't replace a full inspection at the end/start of the year but it only takes 30 seconds.

It only takes 10 mins to pop off the cap and check to see what the grease looks like. Then look at the back of the bearing for any grease leaking out.

No leaks, they are fine.

Pounding grease to your bearings every trip will wreck them in no time.

I haven't added any grease to my boat trailer in 4 years, and haven't repacked them either. They are just as good today as they were brand new.

I have EZ-lube hubs. The grease nipple on the end of the spindle pumps grease to the INSIDE bearing, and the relief valve is on the outer bearing. I've never added a drop of grease to them. If it can't get out, you don't need to add any. The #1 cause of trailer bearing failure is over greasing and popping the seals. Once the seals are leaky, you lose grease and the bearings fail.

Always a good idea to feel hubs for temp on long trips, always good to pop the caps off and have a look at grease in the fall, and always a good idea to jack up and spin the wheels in the spring just to see.....

No need to add grease for no reason.

S.