I'm a sucker for these

kickingfrog

I tried to show the pen for scale. The packaging list it at 6.25 inches and 2.5 oz.

Ya, $20 isn't normally what I'd be willing to pay for a pike lure but like I said... I'm a sucker.

Suspending Husky jerks and saltwater x-raps are my go-to May-June pike lures so I might pick my spots with this one since I'm not going to have multiple colours like I do for the others.

Looks great,price is always there problem,I have pumpkin seed blue gill ,crappie,frogs and a couple more. I am still not convinced they catch more then my 3/8 white Big O . That IMO is the best lure for bass,pike bowfin as well. Many more say,and @ $6.99 most places,what a great value .

are live target any better then the equivalent rapala lure?

The lipless shiner from livetarget is, imo quite abit better than rapalas clackin raps(and the othe newish lipless crank, forget the name).

Other than that, the water I fish, id say no.

Edited by manitoubass2

Subjective. In a lot of cases, I do think it matters more to the angler than the fish.

Most of my hard bait fishing can be covered by some lure that rapala makes, and for me, that's my starting point, not just from a niche but also from a cost stand point.

Like most of us I've got a lot of lures and when something new comes out I compare it to what I already have (and what is already out there). We've all got our price points. I'll pay a certain amount for certain types of lures, for certain types of fish. Some would think I'm nutts to pay X dollars for Y to catch Z, and others might think I'm nutts not to pay $X for Y to catch Z.

For the most part I've got enough lures to cover the types of fish I fish for and the places I fish them, and the ways I fish them. Mostly I'm replacing lost lures or expanding colours for "good" ones. So I don't spend as much per year on lures as I once did.

I do also factor the "cost per fish" as well. A hard bait that will last for years is not the same (to me) as a soft plastic that will only last a fish or two.

I see this lure slotting into a spot that I already have a number of lures (big husky jerks and x-raps for pike) so this will compliment that... and it is something I know my brother doesn't have. :devil:

I haven't had any issues with the finish but I fish rapalas more.

Here is a photo of the minnow type hard baits I use for pike:

2016-03-30%2020.56.39_zpsyw4t5blk.jpg

suspending husky jerk

x-rap

saltwater x-rap

livetarget sucker

livetarget herring

magnum saltwater rapala

j-13

18 rapala minnow

I don't use the last 3 as much as I used to but they were in the pike box.

Get yourself a white xrap.

I thought it be good for bass(mimicking a shiner) and holy crap I dont think one bass has eating it, all pike.

Also the clown colour rapala subwalk. The action drives pike nuts

You thought those were the only colours I use, or best ones? That's precious. :w00t:

Live Target Smelt, jointed, awesome on Erie walleye! I initially tried 1 last summer out on an inline planer board. Lure wasn't in the water 4 minutes - WHAM! Fish on! After putting 4 nice wallys in the boat I headed directly to Grimsby Tackle, bought 4 more! Pricey, but worth it.

on the topic of hardbaits....how you fish them and the action is basically all that matters.

You either feel confident with how the bait moves through the water or you dont.

this summer i lost my rapala minnow rap in hot steel and have never been able to find one since...that aside from the zara spook jr was the best hard bait i ever owned.

That thing caught me literally every single species of fish you could imagine! Youd think its like any other rapala out there, but that particular lure dove at a perfect speed, wiggled at such a nice frequency...i could work that bait over anything, and it hammered fish. Ive never found another crankbait that i can fish so well since...ive almost folded and just bought a bunch off of the internet.

As time is moving on, my tackle box is growing, but more with just the same stuff. If you really are getting on the fish with one type of bait, why bother changing? find a few patterns and colours and just work that.