Ontario Record White/Silver Bass

Rod Caster

That is a huge fish for sure but I'm not sure how official this record is. Only a picture needs to be submitted. As well, take a look at the 8.7lb largemouth picture on the web-site. Not sure that is a very accurate measurement.

Jon

ive caught one white bass in my life...and at the time i was new to fishing georgian bay so i didnt think too much of it...in hindsight if the ontario record is 19 inches and 3 lbs...the one that I caught was pretty big and definitely worth a photo (not this big though, that things a pig)...if only I had knew at the time!

I caught a blue walleye this winter on Nippising, was really cool to see. I have a picture, but not the greatest, doesnt show how blue it was. It was really neat to see in person, very different color than normal.

504b0c12-2863-4c32-a455-a7c5737220ad_zps

aren't blue walleye extinct?

Nip has blue and yellow-coloured walleye. I know ther are genetic debates and the true blue pickeral only ever existed in Eerie (extinct now), but it's obvious that some fish have a different tone when you see them side by side.

I read that nip used to have a blue pickeral population prior to the stocking of the yellows in the early 1900's but I don't know if they were true blues or just a colour variation. There are some historical topics on this board you should search up, interesting reads

That is a huge fish for sure but I'm not sure how official this record is. Only a picture needs to be submitted. As well, take a look at the 8.7lb largemouth picture on the web-site. Not sure that is a very accurate measurement.

Jon

I have no idea if these are legitimate records; the perch record on that site seems small as well..plus a guy just sent me pics of 16" perch caught on Lake Superior!

Nip has blue and yellow-coloured walleye. I know ther are genetic debates and the true blue pickeral only ever existed in Eerie (extinct now), but it's obvious that some fish have a different tone when you see them side by side.

I read that nip used to have a blue pickeral population prior to the stocking of the yellows in the early 1900's but I don't know if they were true blues or just a colour variation. There are some historical topics on this board you should search up, interesting reads

I barely remember Blue Pickeral going out of Pt. Colborne with my dad in the late 50's. He would troll for Yellows with a June Bug spinner tipped with worm or worm harness , he actually used a light monel wire on a Pfleuger Rocket for depth, a precision troller even back then. The Blues were always caught by anchoring and fishing fairly deep water with minnows pretty much the same as jumbo perching is done in the same area today. Blues were never a big fish, not much bigger than a jumbo perch , big eyes and mottled somewhat like a Sauger.

Jon

The OFAH maintains the record fish registry for Ontario. There are rules and conditions to be met before a new record is recognized. For more information, look up the OFAH web site under programs.