Ice armour suits?

wormdunker

I'm searching for a new survival suit. My present buoy o buoy is rather stiff & cumbersome to manoeuver. I've read good reports about the ice armour pro suit. It's toasty warm, softer & more pliable according to reports. It is not coast guard approved, but I always have several PFDs in my boat while on the soft water. Does any one know where I can purchase 1 in southern Ontario? I'm in Niagara, but travel to Simcoe quite often. So the Barrie area is feasible. I can purchase in the US on line but the value of the loonie is a negative. Thanx for your help.

Why do you need a survival suit WD? If it's for work for you to earn the big bucks I get it. I get paid to get exited, I never pay to get exited.

Rhetorical question Brian. I just don't get you old guys that still need the thrills still. Just my opinion.

Fishing World Hamilton. That's close, real close.

https://fishingworld.ca/products/6396-arctic-armour-suit-red-black-xl-

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Are those Ice Armor, Frabill ones Coast guard approved?

I know the Mustang, Buoy-o-Boy,and the Helly Hansen ones are because they have Flotation inserted and tested("Floater suits"). Besides saving your life on the ice, you can use them in the boat for early or late season fishing and still be legal and safe.

Cheers,

Mark

Why do you need a survival suit WD? If it's for work for you to earn the big bucks I get it. I get paid to get exited, I never pay to get exited.

Rhetorical question Brian. I just don't get you old guys that still need the thrills still. Just my opinion.

Fishing World Hamilton. That's close, real close.

https://fishingworld.ca/products/6396-arctic-armour-suit-red-black-xl-

I don't know what point you are trying to make here

I bought one this past spring on sale at Gagnon's (Can't help you with your location for purchasing) and it's fantastic. I got the one pictured in the link above (red and black) and by far the warmest suit I've owned. It takes some getting use to as far as the layering goes. Down to -10 I just wear a thin wicking top and the jacket and have been more than warm enough sledding. This past weekend in the -30's I added a light fleece top as well. Warm and not sweating. Very light weight and comfortable too. They are not coast guard approved but are to keep you floating for a couple of hours. I wish mine had the pit zippers (pro suit has them) for air flow and a larger inside pocket for the cell phone. My only 2 draw backs with the suit I bought. The pro suit seems to be only available at 2 locations in the states according to their website.

The Arctic Armor Pro Suit is available at two 'exclusive' dealers only! (Not available for sale on our web site!)

BUY NOW AT FLEECE CORNER

BUY NOW AT PRO FISHING SUPPLY

I believe Canadian Tire had them last year, red and black ones.

Edited by fishnsled

I wish mine had the pit zippers for air flow

Im sure glad terry dosent have them. WHEWY. :tease:

Im looking at one for next year. My clam ice armour is not a float suit, but man is it warm. Just dont float like I said. Pretty much the same though as far as wearing.

I don't know what point you are trying to make here

I wouldn't put myself in a position to have to wear something to survive, unless I am and still on occasion are paid big bucks to do so. The last time was 3 weeks in Iran in 13'.

Worndunker and I know each other fairly well and fish together when I remember to charge my cranking battery. He loves to take risks I would never consider since I got older and bust his corleones about it whenever I get a chance. I worked in, and still do occasionally, an industry that has the highest rate of fatalities in the world, that's how I got my thrills.

I wouldn't put myself in a position to have to wear something to survive, unless I am and still on occasion are paid big bucks to do so. The last time was 3 weeks in Iran in 13'.

Worndunker and I know each other fairly well and fish together when I remember to charge my cranking battery. He loves to take risks I would never consider since I got older and bust his corleones about it whenever I get a chance. I worked in, and still do occasionally, an industry that has the highest rate of fatalities in the world, that's how I got my thrills.

We dont put ourselves in positions. We can be on a solid 5-10 inches of black ice walking about fishing. Then theres that one spot that is like 2". This happens lots out there. Theres also those snow covered hut holes that are not marked. Better to be prepared then not IMO.

Im sure glad terry dosent have them. WHEWY. :tease:

Im looking at one for next year. My clam ice armour is not a float suit, but man is it warm. Just dont float like I said. Pretty much the same though as far as wearing.

Which Ice Armour suit to you have Brian? The blue black one? That's the one I have and it isn't warm at all. On a cold day I will have a long sleeve T-shirt a polar fleece turtle neck sweater and a hoodie on under mine and I will still get cold hiding in my unheated fish trap hut.

Which Ice Armour suit to you have Brian? The blue black one? That's the one I have and it isn't warm at all. On a cold day I will have a long sleeve T-shirt a polar fleece turtle neck sweater and a hoodie on under mine and I will still get cold hiding in my unheated fish trap hut.

Yes Steve the same. I have never had a problem staying warm with mine. I love the lined chest pockets. My under wear is HH. That and track pants,t-shirt and a hoody is all I have worn. Great for wicking and keeps me toasty.

Edited by Brian B

Thanx Bondar for the info where to purchase one. I'll call fishing world. As stated in my original post - they are not coast guard approved. On the ice they are OK, while in my boat early spring or late fall they represent peace of mind. As also stated I have several PFDs on board. I read great reviews about the Arctic Armour Pro suit with the pit zips, & 3 layers of insulation, & very pliable, comfortable more favourable features.

Terry - You got it right - I fished with him a couple times & he still confoozes me! What's his point? I dunno!! He's a "very old" Ironmaker. Just let him type! LOL!

I saw the site from Pro fishing world, but with the exchange rate on the loonie - probably not a good move. I favour the 2 piece, the jacket is $179. US & the bibs are the same $179.00. So $360. Seems like a fair price. But US $$, shipping, brokerage fees, duty - it will get expensive.

Taking any and all precautions is a very smart thing to do. I just won't go onto Lake Erie in a 14 foot tinny, no matter what time of the year it is. The river or a smaller lake no problem at all, that water is just as cold. A suit is a great investment. That's my precautions. To each his own. I will continue to type on. Are the suits at Fishing World a fair price? And your welcome Brian, no problem, I can do all your Googling.

OK Mr. Ironmaker, You can google on! I'll be busy hooking into some jumbos today & tomorrow, so if you wish check Fishing World for me. Ice Armour Pro 2 piece is the suit I wanna look at. $360.00 in USD, plus, plus as I stated earlier. Ask if they have XL, or is it special order? Thanx

OK Mr. Ironmaker, You can google on! I'll be busy hooking into some jumbos today & tomorrow, so if you wish check Fishing World for me. Ice Armour Pro 2 piece is the suit I wanna look at. $360.00 in USD, plus, plus as I stated earlier. Ask if they have XL, or is it special order? Thanx

As Brian pointed out - the Ice Armour suit is not a float/survival suit. The Arcitic Armour is. Fishing World also carries the Striker Suits - worth a look as well if you`re there.

Which one Brian floater or no float? Not much good if you sink to the bottom. I tried my inflatable over my winter garb last fall, no fit. I'm not at my fighting weight anymore but I'm not huge either.

I'll check there and Bill's too today after I do my chores that can be done tomorrow, I'm off tomorrow too. Save me a Perch sangwitch. Stay warm and especially dry you nut. I sent you a PM.

Johnny D

WD, you live 15 minutes from the border. Why ship it home. See if Gander Mountain in Tonawanda has them. Go and pick it up and throw it in the truck. Take the tags off, mail yourself the receipt from there and run over it a few times in the parking lot. You would think I've done it myself more than a few times. That is if the exchange doesn't kill you. No broker, duty etc.

Ok Wormdrowner, have done some homework for you while you are enjoying yourself out on the ice on this beautiful winters day. Bluebird skies here on Erie lakeshore and zero wind, she's a beauty for sure. I'm stuck in here making tomatoe sauce and calling around for prices. Rather than PM you I figure I'll share what I found. It took me at least 10 minutes on the phone.

I talked to Tim at Bills Bait in Hamilton, 905-388-5875. He has Artic Armour Pro suits there in stock, 1 is a XL in Black and Red, the other a Large in Camel color. The tops and bottoms come to $ 429.00 CDN. Not Transport Can. approved. He can order any size and colour.

I talked to the young lady (Jill?) at Fishing Worlds on Barton and Centennial(hwy 20) in Hamilton as well, 905-573-2288 . They DO NOT carry Artic Armour suits. They do carry and highly recommend the STRIKER CLIMATE SUIT. Not TC approved either.

a 2 piece suit with a zip out removable liner. They have a Large and XXL in stock at $600.00. That ain't cheap. For 1/2 that much money I'll be your body guard and I'll throw you a line if need be.

I think Bill's Bait is the way to go. It's close to the $358.00 USD. I think by the time you get done with shipping, exchange and brokers fee you are ahead to buy local at Bills. Call Tim. He is actually a neighbour to me in the summer, small Province eh?

I will send you my invoice for research fee WD. Or when you come I'll show you where the best Veal Panini in Canada is sold and you can buy me one. Panino Teca, up the road on Upper James south of Bill's Bait. Breaded Veal on a toasted Italian Panini with home made Tomato sauce with choice of toppings, like roasted red pepper, mushrooms and Proviloni cheese, and a bit of Rapini, all my faves. MMMMMMM good. Voted the Best by Spectator readers for many years in a row.

Is this about floater suits or sangwitches?

Johnny D

Thanx for your help guys especially Old Rusty Ironmaker for making a couple phone calls. He has lottsa spare time on his hands. I'm glad I read your replies again as I noticed I have the make of the suit incorrect. I originally inquired about the "Ice Armour" suit. Incorrect!!

I should have stated "ARCTIC ARMOUR". I'm glad Brian B. pointed out that the Ice Armour is not a floater suit. I have an HJC floater suit that is not a survival suit. It is definitely a survival suit I wish to have. Thanx guys