3 year old and 3 week old fishing...

Sterling

Question for you guys...

If you take a person under 18 fishing in Ontario, they don't require a license provided they're with someone holding a sports fishing license, and any fish they catch goes under your limit.

I'm taking a 3 year old and 3 week old ice fishing soon.

Do I get a couple extra lines for the 3 week old? Honest question. People are telling me "the angler must be able to participate". I can't find this anywhere in the regs. The regs only state that you don't need a license under 18 years of age. Period. And even so, define participate?

Place a jolly jumper above the hole, tie a line to it and let the kid jump. Makes for good jigging action. I'd consider that participating but I say absurd things sometimes

Chad, if I get one of those birds with the liquid in them that continually takes a drink, can I put that over the hole and jig an extra line with that? :P

As long as the 3 year old is a resident of Ontario, she has her own equivalant of a sportfishing license ( not conservation)...I won't comment on the 3 week old...

I don't believe there is a residents requirement on that...just gotta be under 18 and you can fish.

And they don't have to be with a licensed adult.

Is far as 3 weeks, you gotta be able to fish, not just gurgle

Edited by Dara

clearly someone hopes it is a way to circumvent the law

the law does say that you can put the line in the water and set the hook and reel it in for another person if that person is handicapped otherwise, you can not

is a 3 week old handicapped , no it is a normal 3 week old that has normal limitations

so if the CO wants to he can charge this person and take away all the equipment

and personally , I would hope they would

Is this a hypatitical (sp?)question?

I sure hope so. A three week old? REALLY

Somewhat hypothetical, I have a large shack near shore, heated and comfy. The boys are going fishing, and if mommy wants to come, the baby comes too (not my kid btw).

I don't believe there is a residents requirement on that...just gotta be under 18 and you can fish.

And they don't have to be with a licensed adult.

Is far as 3 weeks, you gotta be able to fish, not just gurgle

Here are the excerpts from regulations;

"A person is deemed to be the holder of a Recreational Fishing Licence if they are Residents of Ontario and Canada under 18 years old, or 65 years of age or older and in possession of any identification card issued by the Government of Canada..."

So yes you must be a resident. Non-residents must purchase a licence;

"Most non-Canadian residents require an Ontario fishing licence to fish in Ontario."

clearly someone hopes it is a way to circumvent the law

the law does say that you can put the line in the water and set the hook and reel it in for another person if that person is handicapped otherwise, you can not

is a 3 week old handicapped , no it is a normal 3 week old that has normal limitations

so if the CO wants to he can charge this person and take away all the equipment

and personally , I would hope they would

This I have heard, but cannot find in the regulations - hence this thread.

Not sure where you are going but with current ice reports I'd rather not hear your taking any children out on the ice....can't imagine risking a kids life so you can keep a few extra fish :dunno:

16 inches everywhere here. I drilled holes all the way to my spot from shore to check thickness and consistency. Not concerned at all about the ice.

And I won't be keeping an extra fish. Haven't caught a keeper this year. Welcome to lake Nipissing. Not to mention I catch and release 90% of the time.

Any 3 year old should be accompanied by an adult. If you set lines and try and tell a C.O. you are assisting in angling (which is for non licenced individuals that require assistance based on the disability not those under 18) I bet he charges you. It always comes down to the intent of the law not the loopholes. One example is my Yank cousin getting caught doing 100 MPH on the Queen E. when we went metric and fighting it as he thought it meant 100MPH, duh. Not a good example is it? Good story though.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

a 3 year old can fish on his/her own just fine!. No CO will charge you with helping a 3 year old untangle lines or set them. If he sees you shoving the 3 year old over as you outrun him/her with your huge legs to the line to bring in the fish, well, he might change his tune.